Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 00:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Indiatimes.com reports that the much awaited one lakh rupee car will be launched in 2008. It will have a CVT transmission and will borrow the engine from the Tata Ace!

I wonder where they are going to borrow/source the petrol engine from.....

Last edited by amit : 15th June 2006 at 01:00.
Old 15th June 2006, 15:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Indiatimes.com reports that the much awaited one lakh rupee car will be launched in 2008. It will have a CVT transmission and will borrow the engine from the Tata Ace!

I wonder where they are going to borrow/source the petrol engine from.....
Just like the 1405 CC Indica engine has both diesel and petrol variants, so also the 700 CC ACE engine will have a petrol variant as well. The Ace engine is nothing but the Indica engine cut into half, so to say.
Old 15th June 2006, 15:46   #33
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecDeGr8
In one month time span 1) Engine seized 2) Front suspension had major problem (hunk noise when drove on small potholes) 3) Rear visibility is a extreme concern after installing the box
At the Consumer forum I happened to hear another complainants version of the Tata Ace. He was telling the Hon'ble Judge that his Vehicle seized right in the middle of a busy junction. At that time I thought that it was probably a one-off case but after reading your views I think it is quite a common problem. Several other drivers complain that it gulps a lot of oil.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecDeGr8
My concern is - if a 2.3 lac vehicle has so many problems imagine how an 1 lac vehicle would be ...?
Even my 7 lac Sumo Victa has many many Problems. The value of the car does'nt matter. Thats TATA quality for you.

So long....

Last edited by varunroy : 15th June 2006 at 15:48.
Old 23rd June 2006, 16:27   #34
BHPian

Tata's 1 lakh car - I am scared

http://in.rediff.com/money/2006/jun/23car.htm

Sooner or later such a car will come on the roads. But hell am so scared how everyone will buy one such car and drive recklessly and send a shiver down the spine everytime you are on the street. Atleast if it is a costly car people will be worried about damage expenses now who cares. Hit everyone and be happy that is the general attitude out there on the streets as seen by the two wheelers everywhere. Dont even imagine about traffic!!!!!

Some one was worrying in another thread that no fast zippy cars are coming our way. Of what use....sighhhh!

Roads are going to be a mess! All those fond of their cars keep them safe in the shed!
Old 23rd June 2006, 17:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Your analysis brings in a whoel new perspective (lets call it the darker side) of the 1 lakh car project.

At first I was inclined to disagree with you, but on second thoughts, even I think there si that possibility.
Old 23rd June 2006, 17:21   #36
BHPian

never thought abt this aspect of it .. it truly is the dark side, imagine the millions of ppl who cant afford to buy a car rite now buy this 1lakh car and driving it ... ugh as if traffic wasnt insane rite now
Old 23rd June 2006, 18:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
http://in.rediff.com/money/2006/jun/23car.htm

Sooner or later such a car will come on the roads. But hell am so scared how everyone will buy one such car and drive recklessly and send a shiver down the spine everytime you are on the street. Atleast if it is a costly car people will be worried about damage expenses now who cares. Hit everyone and be happy that is the general attitude out there on the streets as seen by the two wheelers everywhere. Dont even imagine about traffic!!!!!

Some one was worrying in another thread that no fast zippy cars are coming our way. Of what use....sighhhh!

Roads are going to be a mess! All those fond of their cars keep them safe in the shed!
The Rs 1 lac car is meant for millions of those Indians who, on account of economic compulsions, are forced to take their entire family out on a two wheeler (MBBS: Mian Biwi Bachhon Samet, as some say). It is not safe when two adults and 2-3 kids sit precariously on a two wheeler. The 1 lac car is targetted at such users, according to Mr Ratan Tata.

Also, the average two wheeler costs Rs. 50,000/- whereas the cheapest car costs about Two Lac Rupees in India. So, there's a big gap in the product matrix just waiting to be filled up by the right innovator.

Hence the intention and thinking behind the 1 lac car deserves praise.

As for the roads, well, they are already bad enough and decent public transport is the only viable long term solution.

In fact, the Rs. 1 lac car may actually increase road safety by reducing the number of two wheelers on the road.

Last edited by directinjection : 23rd June 2006 at 18:39.
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

It all depends on how you look at things. Yes, you do have a valid point. However you can also look at it from another aspect. If it actually hits off people will switch over to 4 wheelers. That will reduce the 2-wheelers on the roads. Now, that may mean longer traffic snarls, but may also convert into safer roads as all those reckless 2-wheeler people mainly take advantage of the fact that they can twist and turn a 2-wheeler at their will can squeeze thru any space (or so they believe). With a 4-wheeler it won't be that easy anymore. So things will change. Also, the general condition of the roads may eventually improve as government will realize that the roads and infrastructure of yesteryears are not holding any more as the percentage of heavier vehicles (as opposed to 2-wheelers would have gone up).
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
It all depends on how you look at things. Yes, you do have a valid point. However you can also look at it from another aspect. If it actually hits off people will switch over to 4 wheelers. That will reduce the 2-wheelers on the roads. Now, that may mean longer traffic snarls, but may also convert into safer roads as all those reckless 2-wheeler people mainly take advantage of the fact that they can twist and turn a 2-wheeler at their will can squeeze thru any space (or so they believe). With a 4-wheeler it won't be that easy anymore. So things will change. Also, the general condition of the roads may eventually improve as government will realize that the roads and infrastructure of yesteryears are not holding any more as the percentage of heavier vehicles (as opposed to 2-wheelers would have gone up).
Landcruiser has a valid reason. I think one has to look at it at a wider angle. Everyone wants to grow and just because a cheap car hits the road, it would be wrong to think that the density of two wheelers would reduce. Just as 2 Wheeler users would migrate to such car, Moped and Bi-cycle users would switch to 2 wheelers. Its just an on-going process of life and solution would find their way too.

With the way traffic is mounting on our roads it would be difficult for each one of us to use our cars anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us take to cycles as this would probably save you time if you need to go short distances. As of now, I need to think twice before going any place because of the dearth of parking place. There's nothing called Peak hours for traffic now. The streets are packed for early mornings to late nights. Even when the city is asleep cars are lined on both side of the roads, because each house has 2 or more cars and they are forced to park on these roads.

So long....
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:53   #40
BHPian

Moreover, this 1 lac car from TATA is definetly going to affect 2nd hand car market for small cars. I think Maruti TRUE value will defintely suffer.
Old 23rd June 2006, 20:16   #41
BHPian

Here's my Plan:

Buy the 1 lakh car and use it for city driving. Bang others and do not worry about others banging you.

Keep the Baleno for out of city drives.

In a way i think this 1 lac car will be good. I can also give it to my wife and parents for short trips here and there.

True there wont be any safety features (i'll thank the tata's if they even fit the seatbelt as std eqp) but then in blr city traffic who needs airbags
Old 23rd June 2006, 21:44   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
Here's my Plan:

Buy the 1 lakh car and use it for city driving. Bang others and do not worry about others banging you.

Keep the Baleno for out of city drives.

In a way i think this 1 lac car will be good. I can also give it to my wife and parents for short trips here and there.

True there wont be any safety features (i'll thank the tata's if they even fit the seatbelt as std eqp) but then in blr city traffic who needs airbags
we the Indians, will rather buy a cheaper car to bang others and get banged by others - but will not learn to drive like a civilized citizen.
Old 24th June 2006, 09:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

The car will have rear engine, 4-5 passenger seating, 4 doors and about 30 Horsepower! Expected launch is early 2008. But 30 hp? As if those taxis hogging the overtaking lane at 5kmph wasn't enough. Guys, brace yourselves up for a much worser and slower moving traffic.

Indian Express.
Old 24th June 2006, 10:27   #44
BHPian

I think by 2008, TATA will price the xeta at 1 lac!!!! Just a thought!!!!
Old 29th August 2006, 18:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Got this by email from one of my nephews today. The title was
1 LAKH MEIN AUR KITNA MILEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a GIF image, so I'm not sure if the animation would show on an imageshack link, in any case here are all the options:

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nonameqi8.gif

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4521/nonameqi8.gif

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks