Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2005, 21:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah, the chicks would love to see you pull up into the coffee shop in an Ambassador diesel.
he..he... but, enlighten me....would the chicks be handing out roses to you in the backseat of an Indica..???

and ajay, it's no use waiting for a indica/go crdi- nothing's in tata's itinerary for the next year, at least...but you could wait for a few weeks and check out the indica "sport" variants, as they have been coded...the indigo's turbodiesel will be nestling under the indica hood...

but pray tell...if you can go in for a indica dlx, why not plonk in a few thousand and go in for the indigo ls....that would be much better, IMHO....and besides, you would get a boot, too...
Old 18th August 2005, 12:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

To Indica or not to Indica......???

Alright now, we're in the week of deciding on which diesel car and proceeding with buying one... I've kept my interests with the Indica DLS or DLG and I'm also thinking of the Palio Diesel.....

The problem now is, I wanna know if TATA might come out with a Crdi version [dicor, yeah] anytime before the end of the year. If that would be the case, i'd be willing to wait, and if a few of you friends can help me out with understanding the differences between a IDI and Crdi, it would help.

1. In what way would the Dicor engine be better than an IDI...

2. I know that the FE with Indica's IDI engine is already Amazing... Would the Crdi do any good to it or would it be more "performance oriented" [read, faster and less noisy]

3. Is the Palio engine in any way superior to the Indica's engine? [i believe the palio D engine is also an IDI one?]

4. Is it worth waiting for a DICOR engine or would the performance of the IDI be close to what the DICOR can put out?

It would really help if you guys could point out the positives and negatives of the Dicor engine and top of all, when is the Indica going to sport a DICOR engine??

I hope I don't get mad this week.... can't get enough or reading and brainstorming...

Thanks fellas... Happy revving...

AK
Old 18th August 2005, 15:02   #63
Team-BHP Support

Answers:
1. Better FE, Better Power(around 75BHP+, considering Turbo intercooler IDI gives you 70BHP)
2. Yes
3. Yes, its got more horses more torque. But its 60K more too, and technologically not much more advanced. Its supposed to be Fly-by-wire, but not idea about it. Indica has a electronic fuel pump with 32bit uS, so that advantage of Palio is also gone.
4. There will be no DICOR indica soon. What could come out by end of year is Tata indica Turbo intercooler. If Supreme court decides to implement new emission rules next year april(which it wont) then both indica and indico will have to go the dicor way.

If yuo are willing to go for Palio diesel, look at indigo LX also. Its got turbo intercooler which gives adequate performance.(70BHP). I fully agree with veyron regarding the indica sport and going for the indigo.
dont know the time frame for sports models though.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th August 2005 at 15:03.
Old 18th August 2005, 15:16   #64
BANNED

R u sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Answers:
Indica has a electronic fuel pump with 32bit uS, so that advantage of Palio is also gone.
As far as Indica petrol(Euro II) goes.its only 16 bit..not 32bit..I have no idea if Euro III is 32bit or not.

Where as Palio was 32bit from the time its launched way back 2001.
Old 18th August 2005, 15:21   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Between the Palio Diesel and the Indigo, I would give the overall engineering card to the Palio. Buttttttttttttt I would not recommend a new Palio to anyone right now since Fiats Indias existence is extremely shaky. Whatever the arguments, there are more odds in favour of Fiat exiting India than otherwise.

In addition, the Palio depreciates quicker than a burning cigarette. And depreciation is the most significant cost of ownership.

The Indigo offers you more room and trunk space, phenomenal ride quality, great FE and security of the company being around even 5 years down the line.

That makes it the obvious choice.

GTO
Old 18th August 2005, 15:22   #66
Team-BHP Support

Yes from EURO III Indigo/Indica both move to 32bit chip with electronic fuel pump.
Old 18th August 2005, 15:29   #67
BANNED

Oh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Buttttttttttttt I would not recommend a new Palio to anyone right now since Fiats Indias existence is extremely shaky. Whatever the arguments, there are more odds in favour of Fiat exiting India than otherwise.

GTO
From where did you get this news? As far as the recent letter (after Mumbai floods) from FIAT MD..it was quite optimistic & he talked about India as a huge market for FIAT & more launches.

If you just said with out any basis..please..we had enough of it in this forum..please do not do it again..please...
Old 18th August 2005, 16:24   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hasopi, There actually is no basis for an argument of Fiat staying in India - save for some colourful language that the new MD used at a public speech. What else would you expect him to say?

Do read this topic How much longer before Fiat shuts down and continue any related discussions out here.

GTO
Old 18th August 2005, 17:07   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Hasopi, There actually is no basis for an argument of Fiat staying in India - save for some colourful language that the new MD used at a public speech. What else would you expect him to say?

Do read this topic How much longer before Fiat shuts down and continue any related discussions out here.

GTO
you could have read that before posting such rumours!
Old 18th August 2005, 17:22   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
you could have read that before posting such rumours!
I have read it because I have posted that topic.

GTO
Old 18th August 2005, 21:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

I must say that Fiat manages its way into every new thread, it definitely does... Well, I don't have anything against the Fiat....

Veyron and Tsk1979, do you guys have any idea on how much longer will it take from now for the Tatas to come out wid a Sports Indica?? I hope it doesn't take too much time, then i would be defeating the purpose of cancelling my swift due to the unimaginable waiting period....

Please let me know if you have any info or come across some... Appreciate it. If it's going to take a month or lesser, I guess I can wait....

Sad, I gave the cancellation letter to my sales guy yesterday, for the Swift I had booked in June....

Last edited by k_ajay : 18th August 2005 at 21:27.
Old 19th August 2005, 01:14   #72
Team-BHP Support

k_ajay, since your budget is swift, why not go for the indigo LX. The turbodiesel costs about 1lac more than swift. If you take petrol it will be about 60000 more than swift. And you get a boot. IF you get discounts (25K petrol, 15-20K diesel) the price difference drops further. I doubt Tata will introduce indica turbo before next year.
Old 19th August 2005, 11:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

If you are buying Tata, Ajay, then stick to th diesels. They make better diesels than petrols. I think this issue has been beaten to death on the forums. If you are going to stick to petrol engines, then there are far better (VFM) cars than the Tata ones.

P.S. I am not going to bring in Fiat here.
Old 19th August 2005, 16:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

Tsk1979, I was only stretching my budget from 4 lakhs to 4.5 because of the swift. I'm not in a position to stretch the budget any further, and i'm already in the 4.2 lakh zone now, cause of the Indica DLS....

I'm going to take my mum on a final test ride tomorrow and book it early next week, since the turbo isn't slated for a 'this month - next month' release.... I know i'd be losing out on power and i love speed, but it isn't really practical to go wow over 130kmph when all your going to do is 95% city driving @ 40 - 70 kmph.... in my case, that is..

I think its perfectly alright for me to go with the 54bhp diesel Indica... something i'm convinced to live with....

Does anyone out here in chennai have any idea if Tata Concorde motors are giving significant discounts on the Indica Diesel? I heard its somewhere near 3k-4k.... lol, sunfilm, maybe???

Will keep you fellas posted over the weekend on the progress... Tx

TypeOneg: Your right about diesel engines being the best product from the Tata stable.. Petrol engines are surely not their forte....

And their diesel cars are absolute stunners if you ask me, and they definitely are for people with a budget, also good for people who are picking up their first car...

Ak
Old 19th August 2005, 16:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

K&N Filter for Indica Diesel

I'm sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here, but I'm not sure where it shud go to, so.... Maaf karna Mods.

This morning, I had been to an accessories shop to check out possible audio equipments and alloys for da car and the guy there also showed me the K&N filter for the Indica..

He suggested I go for it as it would increase the power and FE significantly. Now, I don't bother if it would increase the FE or not, but would it increase the power significantly?? And would it hurt the FE?

Is it a product worth to go for, [he quoted 3500/- for it with a 1,000,000 mile warranty] and if I should put it, would it VOID the warranty of the car?

People in the knowledge circle, kindly let me know

Thanks

AK

Most Viewed