Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2005, 18:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pic:Mahindra Scorpio (2-Door Version)

Ok!! Seeing the heading you may think that I just got some spy pics of a 2 door Scorpio. Well nothing like that. Just worked a little on a Scorpio picture I had.
Put in your views and would you buy a 2-door Scorpio if incase it was launched in Future.

Last edited by Stratos : 10th August 2005 at 18:14.
Old 10th August 2005, 18:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice work man.
Very neat design.
However the rear windows are going all the way to back, IMO it should end a little earlier

Quote:
would you buy a 2-door Scorpio if incase it was launched in Future
Before launching this car the MAIN thing that should be done is lower the CG of car.
With a short wheelbase & current CG level it would be very risky car

If the above problems are fixed then I would buy it for sure
Old 10th August 2005, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sweet!

More a suspension issue, than CG itself. Also, are the wheel arches too large, or am I nitpicking?
Old 10th August 2005, 22:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great Job. B-Pillars and C-Pillar needs to be more chunky. Spare needs to mounted on the tailgate. 2-door SUV is the ultimate macho-machine.

Yes, I would buy it. It has to be a 4 seater with longer front doors to help with access to the rear seat. Ditch the 3rd row seating and raise the suspension by another inch or so. Throw in some optional 265/70-R15 tires.
Old 11th August 2005, 16:07   #5
BHPian

Nice one man!!awesomely modded...you could have done a little more job in the front.The wheel alloys look great.On the whole a job well done!!!
Old 11th August 2005, 16:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

..the front door could be longer since its a 2 door (or is it a 2dr 2 seater? )..also the C pillar seems too thin ..
needs a ski rack on the roof !
where can i book one?
Old 11th August 2005, 16:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

lol awesome man, super chop.
Old 11th August 2005, 16:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes I would buy one, but only if CG is lowered, suspension issues are adressed and there is an automatic tranny option with 4 wheel option on the fly.
Old 11th August 2005, 19:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice work done on the Scorpio, as others already said the doors could have been longer and B&C pillar look very thin. Hope Mahindra consider a 2dr model for Scorpio.
Old 11th August 2005, 20:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
N

Before launching this car the MAIN thing that should be done is lower the CG of car.
I dont know why you guys are obsessed with CG. The propensity of a car to rollover has other factors, viz. roll moment and suspension natural frequency (a function of stiffness).

Since you cant change the roll moment that easily, the only thing left for you to do is to change the stiffness. On the front, that can be done (most cost-effectively) by cutting 1 or 2 coils off the spring and re-installing. The car will sit lower by 2 inches (approx., this is just a generic figure), effectively lowering your CG a little, but more importantly, stiffening up the front. The rollover threshold goes up a little by doing this.
At the rear, you have to remove the leaf springs, and flatten them manually...this will lower the car, and also stiffen up the rear. Excessive pitching can be cured by harder dampers.....

All this is the theory, we just need someone to do it on their Scorpios...instead of fitting 255/50 tyres....
Old 11th August 2005, 22:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
where can i book one?
Try one Mr. D Chabria.
Old 12th August 2005, 03:46   #12
BHPian

A good design.I'd appreciate it too,but nishant how about getting the horizontal slat grille.(like the one which was featured in the autocar india scoop pic).It will really look worth a million.I specially liked the rear quarter glass section.....hats off.
Old 12th August 2005, 20:07   #13
bhp
BHPian

i love it . looks an replacement for sierra lovers
Old 12th August 2005, 20:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
I dont know why you guys are obsessed with CG. The propensity of a car to rollover has other factors, viz. roll moment and suspension natural frequency (a function of stiffness). Since you cant change the roll moment that easily, the only thing left for you to do is to change the stiffness. ..
I think you mean "Roll Stiffness". Roll moment is directly proportional to C.G height, so naturally you want to reduce it. Increasing nat freq of suspension is one way to reduce body roll, but you
will pay the price in ride harshness. Better to use thicker sway bars instead. Wider track also helps.
Old 12th August 2005, 21:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I think you mean "Roll Stiffness". Roll moment is directly proportional to C.G height, so naturally you want to reduce it.

No, I meant roll moment. Roll stiffness is taken care of by the other factor, that is suspension natural frequency and also the anti-roll bars..I mentioned it only to suggest moving roll center upwards to reduce roll moment....The latter is the opposite of what should be done at the design stage, but there's no way any aftermarket mod can bring down the CG other than lowering the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Increasing nat freq of suspension is one way to reduce body roll, but you will pay the price in ride harshness. Better to use thicker sway bars instead. Wider track also helps.
I was only trying to point out what can be done at the customer level to make the Scorpio more stable at high speeds....Harshness will definitely be there by cutting springs....but doesnt changing the sway bar also change the yaw balance of the car...by that I mean oversteer or understeer....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks