Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 18:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Even if they have cheap interiors, fit and finish, if they can give a good price, people might buy them.

If people in India can buy fake Gucci, Armani Tshirts just for show, or the kind of people who badge their Skoda a BMW, or the ones who will put a Mercedes logo on their Sonatas, I think Cherry does have a chance here

You give an Alto buyer a car which looks like the Swift at Alto price, even if the quality is not that great, he might think about it! There are still plenty of people who give a damn about safety, quality of interiors or engine refinement. The kind of people who treat their washing machine and their car alike.
Old 28th November 2009, 23:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

@Coolbareilly - That is indeed a lovely catch!

@suman: The watermark should refer back to the snapper, and not just team-bhp, no?
Old 29th November 2009, 01:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Chinese companies, what has happened in the telecom switching equipment market is a point to ponder. A certain Chinese telecom player (sponsored by Chinese government, I am not naming the company, it is very obvious) started off in early 90s making low quality, cheaper telecom switches. At times, they have copied the whole source code from competitors resulting in their switches having the same set of bugs. Lawsuits followed. A decade later, this Chinese company is the world's second largest player in telecom infrastructure market. They have beaten innovative giants like Alcatel-Lucent, Nokia-Siemens, Motorola, Nortel.

Cheaper products invariably sell, and authorities will be bribed to ignore bent rules. Hope I am proved wrong in case of automobile market.
Old 29th November 2009, 05:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't there news of premier automobiles launching Chinese cars after Rio ? Is this a test drive being done by them ? Selling Chinese product through local indian manufacturer!
Old 30th November 2009, 09:39   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The suv option does look much better than the Rio - is possibly in a different price zone as well.

The Indian's are unlikely to go for the chinese manufactured cars in a big way - but you never know.

These may be here for the Auto expo in Jan in Delhi.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Seems to the test drivers are strictly warned to never allow anyone for a photo shoot. Then why they wan't to drive in public places without proper masking.

How abt the A.S.S in India? We people want good center to be provided.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@suman: The watermark should refer back to the snapper, and not just team-bhp, no?
??? Not sure if you figured what exactly I was referring to but anyway.......
Old 30th November 2009, 15:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Regarding Chinese companies, what has happened in the telecom switching equipment market is a point to ponder. A certain Chinese telecom player (sponsored by Chinese government, I am not naming the company, it is very obvious) started off in early 90s making low quality, cheaper telecom switches. At times, they have copied the whole source code from competitors resulting in their switches having the same set of bugs. Lawsuits followed. A decade later, this Chinese company is the world's second largest player in telecom infrastructure market. They have beaten innovative giants like Alcatel-Lucent, Nokia-Siemens, Motorola, Nortel.

Cheaper products invariably sell, and authorities will be bribed to ignore bent rules. Hope I am proved wrong in case of automobile market.
Why are you afraid to post the name. If I'm not mistaken it is huawei. The source code was turned over because the Chinese govt. insisted that all IP should be turned over to the local partner if a foreign firm wants to do business in India. Basically the chinese govt. dictated the terms and the foreign firms meekly complied because a huge multi billion market was waiting to be exploited.They are facing the consequences now.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Why are you afraid to post the name.
In business, never burn any bridge. You never know when you will be associated with them in future.

Quote:
The source code was turned over because the Chinese govt. insisted that all IP should be turned over to the local partner if a foreign firm wants to do business in India.
... business in India? Or China? I am confused now.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:10   #40
BHPian

^^Sorry I meant China.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Why are you afraid to post the name. If I'm not mistaken it is huawei.
This is the company which was used for Boardband modem By BSNL and now they have changed the company.I am not sure why.
Unfortunately I am using this one,because I bought it 4 years before from BSNL as part of boardband connection.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
This is the company which was used for Boardband modem By BSNL and now they have changed the company.I am not sure why.
Unfortunately I am using this one,because I bought it 4 years before from BSNL as part of boardband connection.

now they are giving out Nokia-siemens modems.
Old 1st December 2009, 06:59   #43
BANNED

Chery Tiggo dimensions
Attached Thumbnails
Spyshots: Chery-cherytiggo.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 09:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Even if they have cheap interiors, fit and finish, if they can give a good price, people might buy them.

If people in India can buy fake Gucci, Armani Tshirts just for show, or the kind of people who badge their Skoda a BMW, or the ones who will put a Mercedes logo on their Sonatas, I think Cherry does have a chance here

You give an Alto buyer a car which looks like the Swift at Alto price, even if the quality is not that great, he might think about it! There are still plenty of people who give a damn about safety, quality of interiors or engine refinement. The kind of people who treat their washing machine and their car alike.
Please! How can you compare buying a Fake Gucci/Armani Tees worth 250 Bucks to a car which looks like a replica but still costs 5-6 Lakhs!! I am sure people are going to think twice spending that kind of money on an Automobile which is totally unheard of. And remember it is Chinese, and chinese are known for Cheap products. Cheap in all ways!
Old 1st December 2009, 12:37   #45
BHPian

IMHO every automaker should be given a chance. We cant just dismiss Chinese cars concluding that they all s**k and will break down the second day of purchase.How many of us over here have ever owned or let alone driven a Chinese car to comment about their reliability.Chery is the largest independent car maker in China with an annual sales of over 400000 vehicles and that alone shows the level of its public acceptance in China.

In Dubai, I see more of these Chinese pickups/vans plying on the roads than TATAs or Mahindras. I do agree that they have some funny names like Great wall,Chery etc. Didn't we Indians buy the Daewoos when people around the globe would not touch it with a pole. Heck even today we buy cars which became extinct 25 years ago in the international market. A chery would anyday be better than those cars.

Chinese auto industry is in its nascent stage and will need more time to develop. Every automaker starts out by building licensed versions of big brand vehicles just like our TATA or Mahindra. But in the case of China copyright and licensing are pretty much non-existent, so their cars end up being copies and now that is an issue for the Chinese govt. to ponder.

Last edited by harishnair : 1st December 2009 at 12:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks