Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 17:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Used cars that fetch a premium

DISCLAIMER: No offence to doctors, parsi's and ladies.

It has always crossed my mind why automobile classifieds, dealers and even sellers advertise their cars as lady driven, doctor owned and parsi maintained?

Considering we all drive the same roads, fill the same fuel and mostly use the services of the same garage why do only their cars fetch a premium?

Just for thoughts, I picked up a 20 year old CJ340 from a lady. I must mention that the Jeep was very well maintained however we must note that she hardly drives it. So now even I maintain her pretty good and I am sure most of us here do the same to their cars too.
I maintain a log from the day I have brought the Jeep to all the parts that I have changed, cost and also time for the next service and other details.
Isn't this good enough for a well maintained vehicle?

This is just an old trick that has sold good or are there any facts to it?

Like someone said, imagine the resale value for a car owned by a Lady Parsi Doctor.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 18:14   #2
BHPian

Don't know the exact reason since I am also victim of such advertisement. my Fiat car is pure lemon (its Fiat afterall), I bought it considering the fact that it was previously owned by parsi businessman. (I don't blame anyone it was my blind love for Fiat cars)
Old 27th November 2009, 18:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its not without reason that these stereotypes come about. But when you TD the car, you'll know if its been poorly maintained even if its a doctor/parsi/lady owned car.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well in today's time - neither are Parsi owned cars or Doctor owned cars classify as a well buy.

Reason being - gone are the tmes when Parsi's spent hours waxing & polishing their cars on a sunday morning. I have plenty of good parsi friends and their cars are kept just like ours Not that it is a bad thing BUT just saying they keep it better does not justify these days.

Doctors cars I agree still as they hardly get time driving it.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:38   #5
BHPian

Any time I would not prefer a Lady driven car. As most of the lady driven cars I have seen till date were not well maintained.

Don't know about Parsi / Doctor owned cars.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

What one of the dealer who bougtht my car told me was 'saar, lady driven cars look good from outside but there is a high probability that it will have clutch problem'
Old 28th November 2009, 13:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
What one of the dealer who bougtht my car told me was 'saar, lady driven cars look good from outside but there is a high probability that it will have clutch problem'
I think the dealer is right. No offence meant to ladies on the forum. Sure they are mostly sedate drivers but heck 7 out of 10 ride the clutch !

Last edited by longhorn : 28th November 2009 at 13:03.
Old 28th November 2009, 13:11   #8
BHPian

agree with longhorn's post. My sister drives an i10, and well it does have its share of dents and scratches thanks to her expert driving skills. But the thing that is most noticeable is the hard clutch.
Old 28th November 2009, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Guna,

I agree with that dealer. For an instance one of my friends wife drives a Swift and they had to change the clutch plates as were completely worn out within 20000 Kms.

Regards,

Vikram
Old 28th November 2009, 13:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well on the other hand, a lady driven car is probably free of major accidents. Minor dings are not as big an issue as huge accidents that get covered up.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:25   #11
BHPian

I know of a doctor whose Indica Vista has been involved in 6 accidents in past 10 months of ownership. Would this car also be sold at a premium due to the profession of the seller.

BTW, This person is quite proud of this record.
Old 28th November 2009, 16:06   #12
BHPian

Heck no! I'm a doctor and i've been trying to get rid of my Indica Xeta for more than 6 months now! The moment a prospective buyer hears Indica . . Xeta , down goes the price. at that point of time, even a doctor can't help.
So, I guess in todays market, the variant and condition counts. Not the profession / gender / community which the owner belongs to.

Just my 2 cents.

And yea, on a hilarious note, I once spotted a car with "JEWELLER" posted in neat red bold letters on the top right corner of the rear glass of a car. Gosh why did he do that?
Old 28th November 2009, 17:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

lol - in any case, whether its doctor / lady owned, in today's world in all probability its all chauffeur driven so all the same.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

An old trick to sell the car. I would rather look at the car & decide, than decide based on who the previous owner was. While I have heard of & know some Parsi's who take good care of their vehicles, I will definitely steer away from a car driven by a lady.

Heck, I know a mech engineer who's no different from any other person when it comes to using his car. Oil isnt changed on time, the car's supposed to have alignment problems .. the tyres were used for 8 years !

End of the day, it's the car that matters. You know a good car when you see one. Beyond that, nothing really matters.
Old 28th November 2009, 20:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amith.2974 View Post
agree with longhorn's post. My sister drives an i10, and well it does have its share of dents and scratches thanks to her expert driving skills. But the thing that is most noticeable is the hard clutch.
in kerala, ladys cars are quoted at lower prices,so no such advertising gimmicks,
parsi cars are non existant here.
coming to doctor owned cars, there is still some demand, the underlying reason being, a doctors usage of his car follows a regular pattern- morning -fixed distance drive to his clinic- halt for say -5 hours-return to home - fixed distance. usually doctors do not have that many holidays and hence the car will be regularly used.of course there will always be exceptions to this general pattern

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks