Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2009, 00:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

@thearun- i beg to differ here, though Fortuner and Innova share a common platform(and some interior parts plus a similar looking Dashboard) but they are entirely different vehicles. Everything from engines to Suspension is different AND while Innova is made in india with high localisation Fortuner comes from Japan. So the idea of pricing them similarly may look good in theory but in practice its a impossible task.

I think if Toyota changes the dashboard of Fortuner the public perception of it being a sporty innova and nothing else will change.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th November 2009 at 00:41.
Old 29th November 2009, 00:45   #17
BANNED

Well, my relative in Delhi bought a black fortuner a few weeks back for a premium of 2.5 lakhs and that too they had to get it from Chandigarh. Another person i know had to buy a Fortuner on a short notice for his daughters wedding - he paid 4 lakhs premium in Delhi
Old 29th November 2009, 04:11   #18
BHPian

The fortuner does not comes from Japan and is produced in Thailand and other Asean region.The premium is too much and the last thing i want to see is a price increase from Toyota which always charges hefty premium.
Old 29th November 2009, 10:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@ahuja365- Even if it comes from Japan but it still means higher import duties compared to the Innova. With this kind of response Toyota might consider assembling the SUV in india.
Old 29th November 2009, 10:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is unfortunate that a premium is being paid, to own a vehicle which was delayed for years & now it is so much in demand, that people are willing to shell out lacs over the retail price. Herd mentality I think. Me too, me too kind of thing.

I'd wait IF I wanted to buy one.

Just my POV
Old 29th November 2009, 10:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Its a free market, and we have to blame only the competition(or the lack of it).
Old 29th November 2009, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

tata nano was expected to sell in black market with hefty premium but seems that toyota fortuner took over from nano, 3L is a huge premium man.
Old 29th November 2009, 11:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
TOYOTA is already charging a hefty premium on the FORTUNER since it is a budget SUV based on the INNOVA platform.

The INNOVA is being sold at a loss, and the FORTUNER is commanding a hefty premium, all business strategy.

If you ask me, the INNOVA is easily worth 12 lakhs and the FORTUNER should cost it only 17 lakhs, the remainder is all profit
The Innova, Fortuner and Hilux are all part of the famed IMV project wherein engines are being manufactured in one country, manual transmission in another (In this case, India) and Auto transmission in a third country. All this is being done to get the economies of scale. It's not for nothing that Toyota is called 'Masters of Cost Management'.

So, in this case TKM is not selling Innova at loss for sure. Infact, if you compare LC PRADO with Fortuner, apart from the size, few advanced features and of course the bigger engine (& the fact that is's a CBU import), there is nothing to justify the price difference of over 20 Lakhs ! Infact, TKM is mulling with the idea of bringing Prado with Fortuner engine at a price higher than Petrol Fortuner!

All this makes Fortuner a very well priced, value for money product which has the potential of being milked furthar by way of increase in the price.
Going by the ongoing priemiums, it seems people would be actually willing to pay a higher price.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:48   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@vijaythacker- Even Nano has a premium of 70k. Any popular car short in supply can be had for a premium. Examples: Nano, Fortuner, Swift, Dzire...
Old 29th November 2009, 13:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Most cars tend to have this effect when it is a segment breaker/leader. Over time the hype will die down and it will sell for it's actual price.
+1 to it. If I recall right,even the Mahindra Armada, when it was launched in 92-93 commanded a premium of upto 75K. Will someone be game for it in today's scenario?
Old 29th November 2009, 14:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Guys payin a premium should get a life !!!

Clearly Toyota does not deserve to get a 3 lak premium for the Fortuner from indian customers.they've bought it too late to the Indian market and for this price why don't customers just go for the Ford Endeavour.It's just foolishness to get a Toyota at a premium.For Gods sake Toyota is not a luxury vehicle !!.
Old 29th November 2009, 15:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@stanjohn:

Toyota does not get the premium. The person who made the booking/dealership takes the premium. It is a black market transaction. You don't get an invoice for it and Toyota doesn't get a penny out of the premium.
Old 29th November 2009, 16:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

I heard that Maruti/Toyota has blacklisted some dealers for premium on the swift/fortuner.
Old 29th November 2009, 17:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@stanjohn:

Toyota does not get the premium. The person who made the booking/dealership takes the premium. It is a black market transaction. You don't get an invoice for it and Toyota doesn't get a penny out of the premium.
Oh alright. Then I guess it's the customer's who should be blamed for paying that premium. Because a premium of 3 Laks for a Fortuner is just absurd.Also Imagine a customer who would have paid the amount(without premium) for his vehicle and expecting it to be delivered like next week.But it does not happen because the dealer has given that vehicle to another customer who has just paid a premium.So he'll have to wait even longer for his vehicle.
Old 29th November 2009, 17:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I heard that Maruti/Toyota has blacklisted some dealers for premium on the swift/fortuner.
Thats good news. They should loose their dealership for cheating customers like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks