Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 16:01   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz or Fiat Linea

Hi all,

I was just watching the Overdrive on CNN-IBN just a while back. Someone asks a question to the VJ: Which car should I buy under Rs. 7.5 lacs? Daily run 20km with occasional highway run.

The verdict: Honda Jazz. It is modern. More spacious. Linea, though good-looking, is a bit cramped inside. Engine: Jazz has 1.2 which is definitely better than 1.4 motor of Linea. Go for Honda Jazz. If you don't care about a boot that doesn't anyway serve much purpose, Jazz is the car for anyone.

What do you think?
Old 28th November 2009, 16:14   #2
BHPian

Linea and Jazz comparison, what crap. Would have said ok to compare a Jazz with Punto, someone putting Jazz over Linea, it's just foolishness for me.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Both cars belong to two different segments. Its not fair to compare both against each other.
There are a lot of other cars that fall in this segment/price, why no mention of them?
Old 28th November 2009, 17:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Hi all,

I was just watching the Overdrive on CNN-IBN just a while back. Someone asks a question to the VJ: Which car should I buy under Rs. 7.5 lacs? Daily run 20km with occasional highway run.

The verdict: Honda Jazz. It is modern. More spacious. Linea, though good-looking, is a bit cramped inside. Engine: Jazz has 1.2 which is definitely better than 1.4 motor of Linea. Go for Honda Jazz. If you don't care about a boot that doesn't anyway serve much purpose, Jazz is the car for anyone.

What do you think?
Who was the VJ? And has he been fired yet?
The VJ was just given a 7.5 Lac tag and he popped up with Jazz as the answer. And to top it all he did a jazzy comparison with linea?
Old 28th November 2009, 17:23   #5
BHPian

How could he compare a Jazz with a linea. Linea is obviously a better buy if the person was looking for a sedan. I still don't understand why he didn't mention about the Hyundai i20.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:26   #6
BHPian

I would pick the Jazz over the Linea. Both have pretty lousy engines but the Jazz is probably more refined. Add to that the far better after sales service and no psuedo chrome bits that keep falling off.

Unless of course you think that a car without a boot is somehow less prestegious than a hatchback, in which case you should pick up the Linea.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

the answer was given by editor of overdrive MR> SHIRISH CHANDRAN. well he has always been inclined towards the honda. but on the broader prospective, many people are confused between jazz and linea as both fall in same price category. jazz can give any sedan competition in terms of interior space. and it has the smoothest of engines. on the other hand linea is the best looking entry sedan and is quite a VFM considering the equipment level at that price. i think that's the reason that confuses people
Old 28th November 2009, 17:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, nothing wrong in comparing the Linea and the Jazz. They are very similar in price. We know that the Jazz actually takes some (although little) sales off the City. And so the Linea can be compared to the Jazz.

As for the verdict, well there's not much info that the prospective customer gave. But the VJ, unlike us, has to give him an answer. So he picked one! And his point about the boot is one I agree with.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:38   #9
BANNED

I do not understand this obsession with sedans - why cant a (premium) hatch be compared against a sedan if the hatch is worth it. Look at his verdict from a performance angle (I do not know how good the jazz is but i do know the current linea engine is not upto "that" mark)... So i don't think he did anything wrong by comparing the jazz to the linea (which is a sedan). Remember the question was just - suggest a best buy under 7.5L ? there were no segment wise request if i understand it correctly. So if the VJ "knew" that the Honda performed better than the fiat, he dint give out a wrong suggestion.

But having said this, i indeed agree with harish as to why the i20 was not included in the competition. Its as modern as th jazz and infact better looking if not better performing. In this perspective it does arise my curiosity as to why the linea alone was singled out - unless the requester had made some specific conditions.
Old 28th November 2009, 18:41   #10
BHPian

Don't think it was a biased answer from Shirish. The question was very vague, not enough detail about what he really wanted to buy.

And his answer was good enough, if you want to spend 7.5 lacs and if you don't want a boot, buy Jazz. Easy to drive around the city, loads of space with magic seats, fit in funny sized object et al when compared to Linea at the same prize.
Old 28th November 2009, 18:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
And his answer was good enough, if you want to spend 7.5 lacs and if you don't want a boot, buy Jazz.
I will make the statement more specific- "if you don't a vissible boot". Jazz has a boot space which is almost eaqual to that of Civic, plus there is an additonal advantage of flexibility. So, you have a car which has interior space equal to sedans, very large&flexible luggage area and decent power for the city drive (if you don't look at the engine capacity, on paper the performance is equal or better then few petol sedans including NHC which costed 8 lacs)
Old 28th November 2009, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

i don't think the question was anything wrong. There's a buyer, he has 7.5L and both comes around that price. So he asks which one should i buy?

of course we all can have our definitions of which one is a better buy at that price.
Old 28th November 2009, 20:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Not the Honda-Fiat war again on TBHP...

It was simply a buyer's question answered more politically or personally!

Lets leave it at that...!
Old 28th November 2009, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Not the Honda-Fiat war again on TBHP...
Lets leave it at that...!
who said anything about honda-fiat.I was breaking my head over the hatch and sedan comparison and to be honest was not aware of the exact question as if it was just a budget provided by the audience and the VJ compared linea and jazz and called jazz the right choice then it was wrong.
There are more hatches and sedans in this budget category and other cars do deserve a mention so that the person who asked the choice eventually makes an informed decision.
On the other hand if he specifically wanted a choice between Jazz and linea then kudos to the VJ for making the same choice as mine.

That said, I rest my case.Touche!
Old 28th November 2009, 22:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

The war has raged in so many threads between the ANHC & Linea!

I would hate to see another...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks