Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2005, 13:04   #16
SuperSyn

The civilian version (sold to consumers by GM) has nothing in common with the military vehicle. The civil version is actually based on the underpinnings of a van! it is also one of the most unreliable vehicle (broken driveshafts, gearbox etc).

No doubt some people will buy it simpy because they are ignorant and no doubt Times of Islamabad will give them coverage on Page 2/3 whatever.

If anyone's really interested in a purposeful offrader, buy a Mercedes Unimog.

Old 14th August 2005, 19:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone's really interested in a purposeful offrader, buy a Mercedes Unimog.
you can't really compare the unimog to the hummer- the former is a truck, and the hummer is an SUV, a 5 seater. plus, the unimog is as big as your friendly neighbourhood firetruck, and owning one doesn't make sense unless you are on laden's payroll. and besides, the unimog could probably chew up the hummer, and climb over it as if it were a boulder- like the Bigfoot...
veyron1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2005, 19:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

hummer

huge and ugly are just a couple of words that come to mind when i see the (or hear the word) hummer.
needless to say, i'm not exactly a 'fan' of the hummer, in fact, i abhor it.
and now, it will be sold in India? where would you drive it?

if you're up north - New Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, then i'm sure you would find ample place to drive it but in a place like Mumbai (Bombay) cruising along along crowded streets of Girgaon, Fort, Dadar, Shivaji Park, Dharavi, Andheri, Vile Parle and others (which all of us have to take at one point or the other) at 10 km/hr wouldn't be a very pleasing experience in something that guzzles fuel like an elephant drinking water, and bullies other vehicles out of its way without even meaning to do so.

anyways, i know there are a lot of HUMMER fans on this forum who won't be thrilled on reading my post - no offence meant to you guys, just posting my thoughts (uggh!)
Old 14th August 2005, 20:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

If the Hummer sales get high in bombay then God help us. Just last night i was passing thru one of the narrow lanes in bandra and i see terror approching me from the opposite side. Baba Diwan who has the hummer with the number plate H-2 decides to break the law and comes into a no entry with that monster of a car! Not only that the man has body guards followin him in an accord... forget breaking the law these guys think they own the road once they r in a Hummer.
Old 14th August 2005, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
huge and ugly are just a couple of words that come to mind when i see the (or hear the word) hummer.
"beauty is in the eyes of the beholder " ..
me for one ..sees the beauty in the beast ..

huge hummer fan ..dont give damn about its oil guzzling habits..maintainence ..
a Hummer is like an African Bush elephant .. one for whom lions and men are alike (antz) ...
.. H1 rocks !
Old 14th August 2005, 23:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

2006 H2 Base Version: $52,980.00, V8, 6.0 Liter, Automatic, 4WD, 4 Doors

2006 H3 Base Version: $28,935.00, 5 Cyl, 3.5 Liter, Manual, 4WD, 4 Doors, 16 mpg city / 20 mpg highway

Now this is some interesting piece of information.. so the H3 for India huh?

Last edited by autopsyche : 14th August 2005 at 23:18.
Old 15th August 2005, 00:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think they will price it against the Prado around 30 lakhs. In that segment, its all about being having something that different, so it should do reasonably well.

IMO the grille should be body color, its just splattered with chrome.
Old 15th August 2005, 01:12   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The civilian version (sold to consumers by GM) has nothing in common with the military vehicle. The civil version is actually based on the underpinnings of a van! it is also one of the most unreliable vehicle (broken driveshafts, gearbox etc).
I think you speak of the H2 and the H3.

But I can assure you that the H1 (the only real Hummer IMHO) has a lot in common with the defense version

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2005, 01:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

But I can assure you that the H1 (the only real Hummer IMHO) has a lot in common with the defense version

GTO
H1 is the closest to the Humvee .with the pillar separating the windsheild...its the best of the street legal Hummers ..
i dont like the H3 one bit...i dont thin they should lose their brutal looks ... H2 is sober enough for me to like the H3 .
Old 15th August 2005, 06:52   #25
BHPian

get ready fer more traffic jams when one of em breaks down in the middle of the road...
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2005, 13:43   #26
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

GTO
But of course! The army/marine version isn't exactly sold at the dealerships; that is why I made the distinction.

Old 15th August 2005, 13:46   #27
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
you can't really compare the unimog to the hummer- the former is a truck, and the hummer is an SUV, a 5 seater. plus, the unimog is as big as your friendly neighbourhood firetruck, and owning one doesn't make sense unless you are on laden's payroll. and besides, the unimog could probably chew up the hummer, and climb over it as if it were a boulder- like the Bigfoot...
Heh, if you believe the marketing hype, you'd think the hummer(civil) is better at ofroading then the Unimog.

By the way, if anyone needs a proper SUV (5+ seater etc), best to get the G-class or the Toyota landcruiser.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks