Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

We could do with some Toyota build and reliability in the small car segment to up the ante, and if it is a Diesel burner, then I am definitely interested!

Toyota can also have the Vios launched with a 1.3 gas engine at least for mid-segment sedan, IMHO.
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why is Toyota not bringing in the yaris to compete in the i20/jazz segment? any thoughts?
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
this news is true. they will be launching both hatch and sedans. hatch is expected to come in 22 variants and sedan perhaps in some equal number of variants. it will be ready by 2010 january. and i think its some variation of vios. project is an ambitious one, only goes to see what other manufacturers do to toyota by then akin to what docomo did to airtel for eg!
22 variants!!?! Howzzat! What would be the price difference between each, 5000 bucks?
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:44   #19
BHPian

A typo error I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
this news is true. they will be launching both hatch and sedans. hatch is expected to come in 22 variants and sedan perhaps in some equal number of variants. it will be ready by 2010 january. and i think its some variation of vios. project is an ambitious one, only goes to see what other manufacturers do to toyota by then akin to what docomo did to airtel for eg!
I guess the 22 variants was a typo error, unless they are planning to sell any additional feature as a variant. I mean, if the interiors is white then that would be one variant and if they are dual toned, then it would be another variant and so on!
Old 24th December 2009, 10:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Toyota bring on Yaris

Oh.. finally Toyota is bringing in some hatch. last week i was talking to my friend who had worked with Toyota 2 years back. he had worked on initial stages of this new small car for india.

Toyota should bring in Yaris. Its one cute hatch. I belive even ladies will love it

But Toyota should not overprice hatches like Jazz n spoil its chances
Old 24th December 2009, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that Toyota is planning for a small car , dont know why they waited so long.

The launch will take at least a year. I cannot wait that long.
Toyota U missed at least one sales opportunity .
Old 24th December 2009, 11:52   #22
BHPian

Good to see but I hope they will price it rightly & not like Honda's Jazz which though being a good car is too highly priced.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

As per the information from Autocar the Toyota EFC (Entry Family Car) which they are going to showcase at the Auto Expo will be christened Etios . The concept will be 90 % similar to what will be eventually rolling out from the factory by December 2010. India will host the lead plant for production of this model.

EDIT : It seems to have been mentioned on the first page.

Last edited by longhorn : 24th December 2009 at 12:33.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:52   #24
BHPian

Toyota has played the VFM game world over and has been a clear Winner. Be it Europe, Japan or America their pricing strategy is one of the best.
Remember they have not put a smaller engine in Yaris and re branded it like Honda has done to Honda Fit (Know here as Jazz). Instead they have focused on developing an all new platform targeting developing economies specifically. This alone is enough evidence to show they mean real business, long term.
I bet they will be pricing it to take on the market leader swift, dead on.
Guys at Maruti Suzuki will be working over time devising a staergy to saty as market leader. As for Honda, they cant be playing their pricey game for long now .
Old 24th December 2009, 14:08   #25
BHPian

As far as India go, Toyota has yet to come close term "Value for Money"
They may be leader worldwide, but India is different market altogether. I bet no one comes close to TATA Motors when it really comes to VFM equation and every manufacturer should take a leaf out of their book.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:32   #26

Quote:
I bet no one comes close to TATA Motors when it really comes to VFM equation and every manufacturer should take a leaf out of their book.
Well, VFM isn't only in regards of price of the cars. TATA has questionable reliability and the build quality is nothing to be proud of. TATA cars are cheap and that's for a reason. It's not as if they are really good but cheap. They cannot compete with other manufacturers with the quality of their product (even if we take out the "BRAND" name).
Old 24th December 2009, 19:03   #27
BHPian

Correct, but then VFM is combination of all factors we get. At present, Linea, Cruze and Superb are more like it (in fact, they set the standards) in their respective segments. What I meant to say is Toyota is not the best VFM auto manufacturer in India; it may be sitting pretty on top worldwide though.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Along with toyota, honda will also be announcing its small car for india.

both toyota and honda are testing the new small cars for india under the bodies of Yaris and Jazz respectively, which can be seen on the roads and not being able to identified as new cars!
Old 26th December 2009, 19:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

just saw a teaser ad of Toyota in TV - they are flashing the Toyota quality and claims 'first for India, then for the world'. The ad had the silhouette of a sedan which Toyota claims shall be unveiled at Auto Expo 2010. Any idea which car is this?
Old 28th December 2009, 14:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
just saw a teaser ad of Toyota in TV - they are flashing the Toyota quality and claims 'first for India, then for the world'. The ad had the silhouette of a sedan which Toyota claims shall be unveiled at Auto Expo 2010. Any idea which car is this?
I guess contrary to earlier reports they are launching sedan first and then hatchback.. just like linea and punto.

Most Viewed