Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 23:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Alto has crossed 22K after a few months.

i10 has finally beaten the Wagon R. That's a good milestone.

i20 seems to be settling down at pre-festival season levels which is not a bad thing.

Who was the lonely soul who bought a Palio last month? lol

The Ikon/Accent combo are still pulling 2K units a month. It amazes me every time. I am sure the Verna at 1300 units must be missing all internal targets.

97 Teanas were sold! Steep jump from previous months. Did Nissan open new dealerships?

The E has beaten the 5 after a very long time. I am betting the 5 will be back on top next month.
Old 15th December 2009, 07:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
16) Xylo has got good sales, but Innova is selling more than even G3HC. I know its diesel, got more variants, but than even families are buying Innova higher versions. Its also quite practical. 4200+ units is surely a great success.
Why has Xylo dropped to 1997, at one time it was selling around 6K units per month, maybe even more.

what went wrong this november?
Old 15th December 2009, 09:21   #18
BHPian

i10 has out numbered WagonR again this month

Only one Palio sold last month. I think Palio is nearing it's end.

Marina recorded the highest sales for this year in the last month. Looks like the taxi business is picking up.

The 10lac + vehicles have seen a drop in sales compared to previous month except for Altis and Octavia.

Teana sales have shot up big time. Looks like Nissan has got its marketing strategy right this time.

No CRV sold last month. Has CRV production stopped or Is Fortuner taking its toll over the CRV?
Old 15th December 2009, 10:26   #19
BHPian

Was awaiting for these figures.
Thanks All.

Where r u GTO & Vasudeva??
Old 15th December 2009, 10:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Edit 5 : Looking at Logan numbers makes me wonder if Meru has stopped expanding
Below is the answer for your query. I see more of Meru cabs on Indigo marina now around my place. And no wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
i
Marina recorded the highest sales for this year in the last month. Looks like the taxi business is picking up.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I see more of Meru cabs on Indigo marina now around my place. And no wonder.
I also see several Ford Fiesta's joining the EasyCabs Fleet in Bangalore apart from Indigo Marina among the Meru fleet.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:18   #22

ZERO for CRV !!! Well mighty Honda is taking a mighty beating. Common Honda this is not an era of competition with Maruti's and Ambassador's alone. Wake uo or disappear.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:30   #23
BHPian

Fabia after a dismal first half of the year is consistently doing over 500 units after the launch of Jazz.

Though the price corrections and freebies would be part responsible i think the launch of Jazz has made Fabia look like VFM .

I was expecting the i20 to build on its 4000 plus units but surprisingly has dropped significantly. Looks like prospective customers will wait out till the launch of VW Polo.

Maruti as always seems to be immune from any competition to Swift and Swift Dzire.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

i10 overtaking WagonR sales might be due to the impending launch of the New WagonR fitted with K series engine. Then again the i10 is competing in 2 segments. We should split the sales of the i10 1.1 and 1.2 and put it in the WagonR and Ritz segements respectively. Only then the comparison can be deemed to be fair. I'm sure the WagonR would beat the i10 hands down then. Ritz is doing decent numbers though it can't hold a candle to the Swift. The Vista is doing very well and could turn out to be the underdog in this segment. Speaks volumes for the consumer faith in the product. Kudos to Tata for that.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Finally the M800 has given way to the Nano, but still doing M800 still doing an average monthly sales of 3100 cars not bad at all. Nano seems to have ramped up production.

In the small car segment Maruti rules with its Alto, wagon R & Estilo, all the models are doing good except the A-star.

Finally i10 has beaten Wagon R, slowly we can see the i10 consolidating its position in this segment. Maruti needs to come up with something to counter i10.

In the B+ segment leading baton is now held by Swift & closely followed by Indica.
It looks like Ritz has not cannabilised Swifts sales but has created its own space by doing close to a monthly average (2009) of approx 6K vehicles, which is quite a decent number.

Fabia is again down post promotion discounts.

i20 sales are down some where close to Aug'09 figures.

Punto & Linea sales are gradually but steadily sliding down certainly not good news for FIAT. January onwards the sales figures can worsen with the onslaught of new launches.
The Beat, VW Polo & Figo are sure to grab away some market share from the Maruti’s, Hyundai’s & others.

Moderators please standardize the title of this thread.

Last edited by tj123 : 15th December 2009 at 12:13. Reason: Typo
Old 15th December 2009, 12:21   #26
BHPian

November Fiesta figures show that Fiesta sells above 2k only when there are hefty discounts in the form of Limited Editions.

I am also waiting to see Manza numbers overtaking Dzires.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:37   #27
BHPian

Congrats Karpusv on getting married and also Thanks to You and skdking for list

Regarding i20 sales there is a dip of about 1.3k units,while there is a again of about 1.5k units for Swift,guess the potential i20 customers might have decided to play it safe and go with a Swift.

I feel Punto sales are a major disappointment,guess that explains why fiat has come out with discounts so early.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:08   #28

As long as FIAT keeps producing those extremely heavy vehicles - torque, driveability, economy will continue to take a beating and sales too unfortunately. The same FIAT engine performing like a dream in Swift's will continue to underperform in its own cars. Heavy build might find takers in Europe but Indians are unforgiving in this regard. When all modern automobiles are moving towards kerb weight reduction, why is FIAT not taking any action at least for its India operations. Agreed FIAT's close and open with a thud, but that comes for some price.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Karpusv!

i10 'era'?
The surprise for me this month is defenitly the i10. Although i've always had the impression i10 is THE car that will hurt Maruti in the long run, 14k units is HUGE for a car with a semi-premium price tag compared to competition! After Swift, this is one car that has changed the segment for better!

Maruti, better increase the quality levels of Swift, WagonR for the next upgrade. Otherwise i10 is one car that can go in for a final kill, at any time if Hyundai manages to reduce the price tag a bit! The car has really taught people that small cars need not feel cheap.

Small car king?
In the compact car segment, Hyundai has managed to sell 20058 units with 2 cars (Santro+ i10) whereas Maruti has only managed 19497 with 3 models (WagonR+ Estilo + A-star). Clearly, Hyundai is takin the fight to Maruti. [Not taking the Alto into consideration since i believe its in a sub segment on its own.]

FIAT!

1 Palio sold! I wonder how long it would take FIAT to realise its time to move on. Linea continues its gradual downward slide, along with the Punto. Unless FIAT pulls a big ace of its sleeve, i believe both will settle around 700- 900 units a month!

Manza effect?

I dont see any big effect due to Manza yet! Its main competition, Suzuki is happily selling DZire in huge numbers, even the SX4 is up after the recent VVT refresh. There has been a dip in sales for Ikon, Accent, Verna, City, Linea etc. Logan, however is losing its 'edge' and wont be 'play'ing unless they correct the price for diesel versions!

As someone asked earlier in this thread, does Indigo/Manza figures include the CS as well?

Honda pricing?

I still remember reading an article in Autocar, which said Honda is the king in whichever segment it choses to play- be it with City, Accord or CRV. Well, they have lost all of that due to the recent price increases. The refreshed Civic is still way short of Corolla Altis, Accord is trailing behind Superb, Jazz losing sales fast and on top of it all- CRV 0 units? I bet they dont care too much as long as the city is making big money!

Market for Avanza?

It has become very clear that the Xylo cannot match Innova in sales. Since, TATA is planning to launch Indicruz at innova prices with more features, it makes sense for Toyota to bring in the smaller Avanza as well! (As reported by various magazines). They might be shocked at the response the Fortuner has received! It has almost killed the petrol competition (CRV and GV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
4) Ritz is still selling well, but the overlap this time has hit Suzuki. Nevertheless, its good enough. Cant say bad.
Swift + Ritz is selling around 14.5k units. Thats a HUGE sales figure for the segment they both come in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I'm sure the WagonR would beat the i10 hands down then.
Split 1.1 and 1.2 or not, fact is that Maruti is taking a royal blow from i10 sales! They need to improve their interior quality in the soon to be launched upgrades!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurian2804 View Post
why is FIAT not taking any action at least for its India operations.
I believe FIAT is making the same mistake as Yamaha did in India!

FIAT's main customers are enthusiats, and that is what they should target. Better engine options, interior quality and slight premium pricing would defenitly help pull in enthusiats atleast!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th December 2009 at 13:56.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Split 1.1 and 1.2 or not, fact is that Maruti is taking a royal blow from i10 sales!
I'm not too sure of that. The Alto single handedly outsells the combined sales of i10 and Santro. Keeping in view that the i10 is the best seller in this segment that's no mean feat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
They need to improve their interior quality in the soon to be launched upgrades!
+1 to that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed