Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 14:24   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congratulations Karpusv!

FIAT's main customers are enthusiats, and that is what they should target. Better engine options, interior quality and slight premium pricing would defenitly help pull in enthusiats atleast!
FIAT cannot pump in millions of dollars for India operations and hope to be bailed out of its troubles by so called enthusiasts.
FIAT should be more proactive, imaginative and should identify root cause of all the evils.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
Why has Xylo dropped to 1997, at one time it was selling around 6K units per month, maybe even more.

what went wrong this november?

Xylo never sold 6k, it sold max 4-5k in the initial months before Innova face lift ,its after face lift xylo settled to 2 - 2.5 k max. I thing Xylo need anti roll bars and side impact beam to make it safer as Innova which might increase the sales.

Honda.

I think Honda strategy of marketing is very different from others by simply over pricing a car and earning equal to that of the opponent. i.e price in such a way that you can earn profit of selling two -three cars by selling single car by using its brand name. A very simple way to earn profit

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 15th December 2009 at 14:27.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:27   #33
BHPian

Split between Indica and Indica Vista will be interesting to see. Showing both together at 9111 against Vista gives an incorrect picture. May I suggest a modification of the spreadsheet as "Indica & Indica Vista" if the split is not available?
Old 15th December 2009, 14:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurian2804 View Post
FIAT cannot pump in millions of dollars for India operations and hope to be bailed out of its troubles by so called enthusiasts.
FIAT should be more proactive, imaginative and should identify root cause of all the evils.
According to the opinion of some in this forum when Linea/Punto was launched, word of mouth would bring in more customers who were at that point in time apprehensive of Fiat due to the well known history.

Seems like it is true - word of mouth worked or continues to work - but in a way negatively affecting the sales and mostly due to insufficient initial QC.

They need to build an image of being trouble free throughout the ownership period - from booking, delivery, initial days of ownership, after sales support etc. Until then, the dream will continue.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I believe FIAT is making the same mistake as Yamaha did in India!

FIAT's main customers are enthusiats, and that is what they should target. Better engine options, interior quality and slight premium pricing would defenitly help pull in enthusiats atleast!
+1

currently they are just a "washerman's dog".

they should target enthusiasts, bring in the t-jets, more powerful engines, better interiors.

and for god's sake jump out of TATA's bed.
Old 15th December 2009, 14:52   #36
BHPian

I think December sales will be down for most of the makers in Andhra due to separate state fight. It might dent overall sales numbers..
Old 15th December 2009, 15:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The same FIAT engine performing like a dream in Swift's will continue to underperform in its own cars.
Have you driven a Punto lately, one that has some thousand kms under its belt? Point to ponder - Ritz also has the same engine and is outperformed by Swift... why?
Old 15th December 2009, 15:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Have you driven a Punto lately, one that has some thousand kms under its belt? Point to ponder - Ritz also has the same engine and is outperformed by Swift... why?
There are many factors affecting the performance of a car. Most evident ones being power to weight ratio. Same engine on different cars having different GVW's, state of tune, gear ratios, turbo/non turbo,drag coefficient etc. all contribute to how a car performs.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There are a lot of variables in this equation. Ritz is outperformed by Swift but Punto is terribly outperformed by Swift. There are the points which are screaming for corrective action.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:56   #40
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Swift faring better than the Ritz can be atributed purely to looks and performance. The ritz interiors are better and so is the build.

Somethings just don't make sense at times. Swift is one great looker that is winning it's way away. What happens with Euro IV engines on the swift?
Old 15th December 2009, 16:00   #41
BHPian

How about the sales figures of Landrover & Jaguar?
Old 15th December 2009, 16:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) i10 'era'?
The surprise for me this month is defenitly the i10. Although i've always had the impression i10 is THE car that will hurt Maruti in the long run, 14k units is HUGE for a car with a semi-premium price tag compared to competition! After Swift, this is one car that has changed the segment for better!

Small car king?
In the compact car segment, Hyundai has managed to sell 20058 units with 2 cars (Santro+ i10) whereas Maruti has only managed 19497 with 3 models (WagonR+ Estilo + A-star). Clearly, Hyundai is takin the fight to Maruti. [Not taking the Alto into consideration since i believe its in a sub segment on its own.]

2) FIAT!

1 Palio sold! I wonder how long it would take FIAT to realise its time to move on. Linea continues its gradual downward slide, along with the Punto. Unless FIAT pulls a big ace of its sleeve, i believe both will settle around 700- 900 units a month!

3) Manza effect?
As someone asked earlier in this thread, does Indigo/Manza figures include the CS as well?

4) Swift + Ritz is selling around 14.5k units. Thats a HUGE sales figure for the segment they both come in!

5) I believe FIAT is making the same mistake as Yamaha did in India!

1) My other question is whether these figures for i10, i20 and Santro are domestic sales or the production in India? Hyundia has habit of giving out overall sales figures of the number of cars produced.

Can somebody clarify ?

Hyundai has in the past said fastest this or that figure, but that is the total production and not total sales in India. IIRC, India is the only country where i20 is manufactured ( plans are to shift a bit of production to other country/countries ).

If anybody has any concrete information on this please clarify.

2) The cars are not bad, but I feel that the interior quality has again given them a bad image, specially GP. Fiat is known for other cars that did not have similar issue. Tata's inherited vendors is something Fiat must be unhappy about.

3) That question was asked by me. Next, my question is about Indica and Indica Vista. In the list its mention Indica vista, but I am sure its total sales of Vista + Indica. Indica is not yet pulled out of the market.

4) A bit of sales from WagonR were taken away by Estilo IMHO. Estilo has given up 4000+units which is normally not the case.
Again Swift + Ritz is a good combo.

5) Well, Amby sold more than Linea. This is called Manza effect. Same showroom floor and how will they sell Linea ? Diesels are good sellers for almost all now, and Linea, manza share the same diesel engine. If there is one car that will be hit badly by Manza its Linea IMHO.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:23   #43
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tab Indica Vista should be Indica / Vista as it mentions both the figures together.

Also Sumo tab seems to mention sumo and grande together.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) My other question is whether these figures for i10, i20 and Santro are domestic sales or the production in India? Hyundia has habit of giving out overall sales figures of the number of cars produced.
These are domestic sales. Their domestic sales was ~28K and exports were ~27K in November.
Hyundai November sales up 28%
Old 15th December 2009, 16:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a lot of variables in this equation. Ritz is outperformed by Swift but Punto is terribly outperformed by Swift. There are the points which are screaming for corrective action.
If for a moment you can forget the magazine figures which by the way say Punto is faster in-gear compared to Ritz for both 20-80 kmph 3rd gear and 40-100 kmph 4th gear sprint but somehow slower to 100 kph by 2 seconds, you will realize in the real world that Punto isnt 'terribly outperformed'.
The extra weights gives you better safety (5 stars vs 4), rattle free body and interiors and most importantly piece of mind. Dont believe me.. have a look at the Linea and Punto crash pics on the accident thread.

Anyways we are going terribly offtopic so thats it from me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks