Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 23:18   #46
BANNED

How much small can a maruti get....?

They have been selling most compact cars till date, even their Swifts / Ritz's have lesser head and leg room than the TATA's NANO.

Apart from the Wagon-R, i've never seen one spacious car from Maruti's till date. We buyers are just compromising buying their products because of their Service Network across the country.
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

They have been selling most compact cars till date, even their Swifts / Ritz's have lesser head and leg room than the TATA's NANO.

Apart from the Wagon-R, i've never seen one spacious car from Maruti's till date. We buyers are just compromising buying their products because of their Service Network across the country.
1) Tata Nano has more space than even Santro or GP. I have personally checked out Nano. If space is something you are discussing then only I20, UVA and Jazz manage to beat Nano.

2) This is discussion on small cars and not on how small Maruti can get.
Again I repeat, YR9 = new wagonR/updated ( refurbished Wagon R ).
YE3 = Car near to Alto.

Can you please explain what you mean by " How much small Maruti can get..." ?

3) I feel this is a good move as the Wagon R will be worked upon. I do hope that they finally bring out the latest platfrom they sell in Japan. Other car is a car between Alto and M800, rumored to be new M800. IMHO, this will eventually be new Alto. I fail to understand here about Maruti's overlapping strategy. They already have A-star, so where will it go ? Mostly it will be sold in lower numbers.
Again, due to competition we are getting good cars from almost all manufacturers.

4)
a) Maruti-Suzuki is not forcing anybody to buy their cars. What they give customers is reliable, easy-on-pocket cars.

b) Also Suzuki is not stopping others from expanding their dealer network and improving their service. I have not read any news on this fact. Can you update us on what is stopping others from expanding their service center network and improving their service quality ?
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:13   #48
BHPian

today's Business Telegraph, Kolkata edn:
Maruti will launch a new Family car "EECO" with a 1200 cc petrol engine in the under 4 lakh segment in Auto expo Delhi
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:

i've never seen one spacious car from Maruti's till date. We buyers are just compromising buying their products
Man, no need to compromise. Who stopped you from buying other cars? As said by others Maruti cars are easy on pocket and reliable too.

I bought Swift over Vista cause I did not need that extra space, as most of the time it is 2+1 or even me alone traveling, and I get more peace of mind too.

Regards
Sanjeev

Last edited by sanjubaba : 22nd December 2009 at 11:10.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

The debate is going well here. My contribution here is every one's need and likeness is different. So far plenty of Choisces in the market. They can go for their own choice and also migrate to others based on the convenience and inconveniences of the new and the owned.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:19   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I disagree with this - buying a Maruti cannot be termed as a compromise.

their cars are good in their own way and they are eminently suitable for us Indians who want VFM, decent tech, reasonable comfort, excellent Fuel economy, ease of service and peace of mind. Maruti fulfils all these basic criteria very well and the fact is reflected in the sales figures.
Our consumers are not yet so evolved as all that, in terms of defining their automotive needs the way other countries are.

Quote:
We buyers are just compromising buying their products because of their Service Network across the country.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

Came across this news. Looks like this is YR9 i.e. worked upon Wagon R or updated Wagon R. Considering that they have worked on the car for more than 3 years, I think that this is a brand new car.

Source : Maruti to launch new family car Eeco priced under Rs 4 lakh at Auto Expo

Article :

Quote:

Maruti to launch new family car Eeco priced under Rs 4 lakh at Auto Expo

NEW DELHI: Car major Maruti Suzuki will launch a new family car 'Eeco' with a 1,200cc petrol engine in the under-Rs 4 lakh segment, at the upcoming Cars from Maruti's stable

Auto Expo in the Capital.

The vehicle, which has been specifically designed for the domestic market, will comply with Bharat Stage IV emission norms.

The Eeco was under development out for the past three years and developed by the a team of Maruti Suzuki engineers.

The Eeco will come with a three-row and two-row seating arrangements with seating capacities of five and seven passengers respectively.

According to industry sources, the car will be under C segment and is likely to be priced below Rs 4 lakh.

Also Read A big buzz around small cars Tata Motors to bring in hybrid city buses; development on Honda to unveil new small car at Auto Expo Reva to set up facilities overseas, scouting for partners

When contacted, Maruti Suzuki managing executive officer (engineering) IV Rao said, "the new car represents the growing expertise of our engineers to conceive, design and produce vehicles here. This is also in line with parent Suzuki Corp's vision of turning India into a global hub for small car research and development."

The Auto Expo 2010 begins early next month in the Capital.
@EDIT : Is it possible that this car is new van ?

So we have :
a) New Van codenamed O2.
b) A wagon R update/replacement called YR9.
c) A car near to Alto called YE3.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd December 2009 at 14:23.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Tata Nano has more space than even Santro or GP. I have personally checked out Nano. If space is something you are discussing then only I20, UVA and Jazz manage to beat Nano.
really? I guess they have saved a lot of space in the front and made it available for passenger cabin.

Nano
length: 3099 mm
width: 1495 mm
height : 1652 mm

Santro
length : 3495 mm
width : 1495 mm
height : 1580 mm

GP
length: 4030 mm
width : 1687 mm
height: 1490 mm

GP is almost a meter longer and 20 cm wider than Nano and if nano has more interior space, its really amazing.

Now I know what to say if someone makes fun of me if I happen to drive a Nano - "dude your car is cramped, come and check out mine"

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd December 2009 at 14:45.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
really? I guess they have saved a lot of space in the front and made it available for passenger cabin.

Now I know what to say if someone makes fun of me if I happen to drive a Nano - "dude your car is cramped, come and check out mine"
1) Its not about length here, its about wheelbase.

2) If we are into figures, then I10 has more rear seat space than I20.
But in reality, I20 feels more spacious.

Similar is case with Nano. The car is simply fantastic when it comes to feeling of spaciouness and I admit that the rear seat is more comfortable than M800 as the feeling of spaciousness really helps, this what I was trying to say. Only few cars can take that away from Nano. The seat design is basic and you feel good only for city drives i.e. short period of time, but its not bad.

I was talking about feeling of spaciouness and not actual space dimensions. The airy interior, just like Wagon r help a lot here. You feel really comfortable.

BTW, the dimensions of small car rear seat space from ACI.

1) Spark rear seat.
Legroom min : 64 cm
Legroom max : 83 cm
Headroom : 88 cm
Width : 124 cm

2) UV-A
Legroom min : 65.5 cm
Legroom max : 87.5 cm
Headroom : 90 cm
Width : 131 cm

3) Fiat 500
Legroom min : 56 cm
Legroom max : 76 cm
Headroom : 87 cm
Width : 120 cm

4) Grande Punto
Legroom min : 60 cm
Legroom max : 84 cm
Headroom : 91 cm
Width : 127 cm

5) Palio
Legroom min : 63 cm
Legroom max : 83 cm
Headroom : 84 cm
Width : 134 cm

6) Jazz
Legroom min : 67 cm
Legroom max : 91 cm
Headroom : 98 cm
Width : 125 cm

7) I10
Legroom min : 68 cm
Legroom max : 85 cm
Headroom : 93 cm

8) i20
Legroom min : 56 cm
Legroom max : 78 cm
Headroom : 95 cm
Width : 135 cm

9) Santro
Legroom min : 65.5 cm
Legroom max : 82.5 cm
Headroom : 87 cm
Width : 121 cm

10) Alto
Legroom min : 54 cm
Legroom max : 81 cm
Width : 118 cm

11) 800
Legroom min : 62 cm
Legroom max : 76 cm
Headroom : 85 cm
Width : 119 cm

12) A-star
Legroom min : 80 cm
Legroom max : 58.5 cm
Headroom : 88 cm
Width : 119 cm

13) Estilo
Legroom min : 60 cm
Legroom max : 76.5 cm
Headroom : 92cm
Width : 120.5 cm

14) Wagon R
Legroom min : 59.5 cm
Legroom max : 76.5 cm
Headroom : 101.5 cm
Width : 123cm

15) Ritz
Legroom min : 61 cm
Legroom max : 84 cm
Headroom : 96 cm

16) Swift
Legroom min : 62.5 cm
Legroom max : 85.5 cm
Width : 129 cm

17) Nano
Legroom min : 62 cm
Legroom max : 80 cm
Headroom : 93 cm
Width : 124.5 cm

18) Vista
Legroom min : 72 cm
Legroom max : 92 cm
Headroom : 89 cm
Width : 136 cm

19) Indica
Legroom min : 64
Legroom max : 75
Headroom : 92 cm
Width : 133 cm

So its not all about numbers.
And if we are to go by numbers, then Pavan Kadam's argument is wrong.
Sorry to repeat, but I was referring to how good one feels when one is in rear seat.

If these figures are correct, them many Suzuki cars are spacious compared to nano.
But for short trips, Nano rear seat feels better.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Source : Maruti to launch new family car Eeco priced under Rs 4 lakh at Auto Expo

@EDIT : Is it possible that this car is new van ?

You are correct. It is a mini-van like Omni or versa.
It will be launched by Jan 10'.
Price is around 3 Lacs.
So most probably a replacement for Omni.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti's new small car-eeco.jpg  

Old 29th December 2009, 17:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
You are correct. It is a mini-van like Omni or versa.
It will be launched by Jan 10'.
Price is around 3 Lacs.
So most probably a replacement for Omni.
Omni will not be replaced it is doing very good numbers check last months sales figures.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again I repeat, YR9 = new wagonR/updated ( refurbished Wagon R ).
Maruti's new small car-agila12gen.jpg

If one looks at the First and Second generations of Opel Agila, it can be seen that the Ritz is essentially the next gen WagonR. Then what is YR9? Since there are still takers for older models in India, they keep WagonR in production and launched Ritz also.

Maruti's marketing of small cars in India get them as well as the buyers puzzled.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th December 2009 at 22:08.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Attachment 253325

If one looks at the First and Second generations of Opel Agila, it can be seen that the Ritz is essentially the next gen WagonR. Then what is YR9? Since there are still takers for older models in India, they keep WagonR in production and launched Ritz also.

Maruti's marketing of small cars in India get them as well as the buyers puzzled.
Read in ACI that the YR9 is Wagon R sold in Japan from 2003-2008. I read that Maruti has imported necessary stuff from Suzuki. So smartly, Maurti has kept Wagon R alive.
The new Wagon R is likely to be priced at Rs. 3.5 lakh and will come with K10B. Its has better ride and handling as compared to the current wagon R according to ACI. The L arms are replacing I arms. That is what I read in ACI.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:43   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Read in ACI that the YR9 is Wagon R sold in Japan from 2003-2008. I read that Maruti has imported necessary stuff from Suzuki. So smartly, Maurti has kept Wagon R alive.
The new Wagon R is likely to be priced at Rs. 3.5 lakh and will come with K10B. Its has better ride and handling as compared to the current wagon R according to ACI. The L arms are replacing I arms. That is what I read in ACI.
I bought the ACI for the scoop of Wagon-R. Felt cheated after buying it. The pic they showed is just an assumption and not a scoop. There is a blunder on the front page stating Wagon-R to have '1.2 L petrol'.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever it is, I feel that Ritz should have been the correct replacement for the WagonR. Anyway, having both (most of their launched small cars) in production will only help MUL to sell more cars.

My uncle, who wanted to buy A-Star bought a Ritz Vxi. Another person I know, who was looking at Swift as a potential buy, also bought Ritz. People who want to stick with Maruti won't get disappointed because of the numerous options they have.

Most Viewed