Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 19:08   #1
BHPian

Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency

Hi All,

So after reading up about the Skoda A$$ issues, and test driving the Laura petrol, I am still on the fence (thats how good this beast is !);

I request that any one who:

1) Owns the Car now or has owned it in the past
2) Has driven the car

To please kindly post fuel efficiency figures for the City and Highway.

Cheers!

imp
Old 4th December 2009, 21:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven the car but i dont have any first hand experience with its FE. Most auto magazines reported it to be at par with the Honda Civic.
Old 4th December 2009, 23:41   #3
BHPian

12 highway, 10 city. (Thats what a friend of mine told me. I dont think it is a biased figure.)
Old 5th December 2009, 03:55   #4
BHPian

i think it should not be really bad!! hey it has VVT -i, turbocharging, and direct injection!!

the same engine is used in AUDI A4, base model!!

all this helps in obtaining high torque and higher fuel efficency!!

and do not go by the reviews and road test of the mags! this is a car which makes everyone rev happy and you know what happens next!!

if driven carefully or even normally i think it can give you better fuel efficency!! i say 12.ish is not impossible to achieve!! IMO.
Old 5th December 2009, 07:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't have firsthand experience, but form ACI claims, its better than Altis & Civic although by a minor margin. City highway is 9.8/14 against 9.5/13.5 of Altis and 9.0/12.4 of Civic.

I am sure they would have driven in reasonably sedately. Most people with a TSI would rip it and i doubt if they would hit that FE numbers.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:11   #6
BHPian

Aaah if I can be sure of an average of 11 between city and highway
(50-50 driving for the most part) I'm sold!!
Thanks for the input, please keep the replies coming
Old 5th December 2009, 11:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think 11 average isn't too hard. Depends on your driving style but as long as you don't keep redlining it and ripping it, you'll be fine. Go for it!
Old 5th December 2009, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

The thing is that Turbo cars can give good FE if you drive at a constant speed below boost rpm.

The engine starts consuming more fuel as the boost kicks in.

Shan2nu
Old 5th December 2009, 13:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The thing is that Turbo cars can give good FE if you drive at a constant speed below boost rpm.

The engine starts consuming more fuel as the boost kicks in.

Shan2nu
Okay I'm a bit confused here, I thought the engine consumes fuel to kick the boost in, but it uses mainly exhaust fumes to keep the boost going once it has been activated? obviously driving in low RPM and throttling the car constantly is going to kill the FE, but in most places in India, you will run out of road in this car if you throttle it :-) (in the city atleast) so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

imp!
Old 5th December 2009, 13:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Okay I'm a bit confused here, I thought the engine consumes fuel to kick the boost in, but it uses mainly exhaust fumes to keep the boost going once it has been activated?
No, you've got the turbo concept a bit wrong. If you keep it at low rpm, then the car runs and consumes a certain amount of fuel. If you increase rpm, the amount of exhaust fumes increases and this makes the turbo spin fast. The turbo sends in more fuel into the engine (by compressing the fuel-air mixture) and you get the surge in power. So when you're getting the boost, you're using more fuel. When you're not getting the boost, you're using less fuel.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
No, you've got the turbo concept a bit wrong. If you keep it at low rpm, then the car runs and consumes a certain amount of fuel. If you increase rpm, the amount of exhaust fumes increases and this makes the turbo spin fast. The turbo sends in more fuel into the engine (by compressing the fuel-air mixture) and you get the surge in power. So when you're getting the boost, you're using more fuel. When you're not getting the boost, you're using less fuel.

Thanks mate, didn't know that. If I were to drive at a constant 2000 rpm say, it would be in the boost range, but I'd mostly be cruising so how would that affect the FE?
Old 5th December 2009, 14:01   #12
BHPian

hey imp , look , i m useing a RS for past 5 years . now laura s engine is using a same unit , but its a TSI version of the same 1799 c c mill .
frankly it will return you a efficiancy of about 7 kmph in the city and 12 kmph on the highway as TSI are bit efficient due to their tech .
so according to my experiance of the RS and after test driven the TSI , it should give you a avg of @9kmph for combined cycle of highway n city . still good , considaring the power it throws at you.
Old 5th December 2009, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Ah, you are only presenting one part of the picture.

Anyway, turbo itself does not send in more fuel, it sends in more air and the ECU adjusts fueling(read increase) to maintain ratio. The aftermath is that your engine runs more efficiently(thermally speaking) and you may be actually able to extract a better fuel efficiency when the turbo is working. It will all depend on the driving conditions.

IMO, it would be incorrect to say that driving a turbo car outside it's turbo rpm range is more fuel efficient, though you may actually be able to demonstrate that in 'certain' conditions. The turbo is there for a reason, my friend, it certainly it is not all about racing or speeding.
Old 5th December 2009, 14:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kuttappan, your theory is incorrect.
Shan2nu is correct.

The figures I've heard from petrol turbo car owners is usually 5-6-7kmpl.
Exceptions like Normally_Crazy are always there, of course.
Old 5th December 2009, 14:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Hi Kuttappan, your theory is incorrect.
Shan2nu is correct.

The figures I've heard from petrol turbo car owners is usually 5-6-7kmpl.
Exceptions like Normally_Crazy are always there, of course.

That usually happens when the car is throttled a lot. If driven in a sober manner it should give better FE.

Most Viewed