Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 12:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the FSi engines produce more torque because of their working in the direct injection mode and high compression ratio.
not because they are burning up more fuel at turbo boost.
Ofcousre, when the FSI doesn't even use a Turbo, there's no question of boost.

But i dont understand why you're bringing in FSI into the topic when the discussion is related to the Turbocharged TSI engine?

In this case, it is the turbo that allows the 1.8L engine to produce 250nm. Had this engine been a 1.8 FSI, its torque figures would have be under 200nm. So lets not mix up both engines.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th December 2009 at 12:49.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:49   #47
BHPian

I own Laura 1.8 TSI arctic breeze color. According to TAFE ACCESS Bangalore Cappuccino Beige is no longer available in 1.8 TSI, also got 20K discount and 30K corporate discount (total of 50K discount)

It has been only a month since I own Laura, in city an average of 7Kmpl (because I drive a maximum of 4 KM per day and very congested traffic, mostly crawling) and a short drive in Bangalore - Mysore highway the FE was around 12Kmpl (maximum speed was around 100Kmph). Normal drive around city it gives 8+ Kmpl.

The following is what I liked in the car :

Acceleration
Smooth gear shift
Virtually no engine noise
Excellent Music system
Excellent handling
Excellent seating and smooth ride (changed the stock tires to Michellin primacy LC and on stock 15" alloys)

Also dealer experience at TAFE ACCESS was extremely pleasant.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:24   #48
BHPian

i am so puzzeled that you guys shan2nu and pb10 are talking so out of point as there is a carburator in the TSI unit. both of you are mentioning higher rpm, fuel ratios etc etc .
guys this is not a carburator engine to talk like this. are you forgetting that there is a ECU which directly controls the fuel delevary in the engine?
depending upon load , rpm ,boost avaleble , mass density of air and on no of parameters its adjests itself to provide you with best volumetric and THERMAL efficiancy at any given instant for an engine ,so as the engine always operates in best efficiancy mode. and thats the only reason why that it is left with so much for the tuners to do rest of the things.thats why this engine can be modified or remapped for higher power so easily. because the company has programmed the ECU to be far on efficiancy side.
and i am mentioning it again that you can not cruse below the turbo kick in rmp . the zone is called as turbo LAG, and every manufacturere tries to avoid that.
if it were for crusing they should have never eliminated it with technologies like VGT or FSI .
Old 7th December 2009, 13:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Ofcousre, when the FSI doesn't even use a Turbo, there's no question of boost.

But i dont understand why you're bringing in FSI into the topic when the discussion is related to the Turbocharged TSI engine?

In this case, it is the turbo that allows the 1.8L engine to produce 250nm. Had this engine been a 1.8 FSI, its torque figures would have be under 200nm. So lets not mix up both engines.

Shan2nu
well i guess i am not able to clearly explain what i want to say.

what i wanted to say was that - the gain that we get by installing a turbo is way more than the fuel we loose.

considering the fact that a naturally aspirated FSi only produces < 200 nm at 3500-4000 rpm.

and a TFSi produces 250nm at 1500-4000 rpm.

with turbo we have such a huge gain in the range and amount of torque that we can design a gearbox which uses taller gear ratios, hence covers more distance for same amount of fuel as a FSi or an engine with intake manifold.

i agree that at turbo boost an engine consumes more fuel but i just wanted to say that the gains are much more than a non turbo engine.

so probably driving at constant speed under boost in a turbo engine may not be a good idea.
Old 7th December 2009, 14:43   #50
BHPian

The thing is,

I'm not too sure about driving below boost rpm's. Constantly driving at lower rpms and throttling will destroy the turbo eventually (atleast that is what I have heard, dunno if it is true or not); however, in about 100 km of test drives through traffic and on the highways, keeping it between 2000-2500 RPM, I managed to get an FE of 10 . A friend of mine owns a Superb, he gets 10 kpl, driving in Bombay (mostly night driving around the Sealink). A couple of other people who own Petrol Lauras are getting between 7-10 in traffic in Bombay. I think a single owner, personally driven car that is kept in good condition and not given the beans as often as one would like, should be able to give an over all effeciency of 11 kpl between City and highway driving.

Last edited by imp! : 7th December 2009 at 14:45.
Old 7th December 2009, 14:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanks View Post
I own Laura 1.8 TSI arctic breeze color. According to TAFE ACCESS Bangalore Cappuccino Beige is no longer available in 1.8 TSI, also got 20K discount and 30K corporate discount (total of 50K discount)

It has been only a month since I own Laura, in city an average of 7Kmpl (because I drive a maximum of 4 KM per day and very congested traffic, mostly crawling) and a short drive in Bangalore - Mysore highway the FE was around 12Kmpl (maximum speed was around 100Kmph). Normal drive around city it gives 8+ Kmpl.

The following is what I liked in the car :

Acceleration
Smooth gear shift
Virtually no engine noise
Excellent Music system
Excellent handling
Excellent seating and smooth ride (changed the stock tires to Michellin primacy LC and on stock 15" alloys)

Also dealer experience at TAFE ACCESS was extremely pleasant.

Nice !! I am getting 1 year free insurance and am pushing for a free tire upgrade. Your average *should* improve once you go through a tank or two of Petrol. What colour did you get? I'm assuming you don't have any first hand *** experience at Tafe yet?
Old 7th December 2009, 14:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i agree that at turbo boost an engine consumes more fuel
This is all i was saying. Driving a car at a constant speed slightly below boost should improve F-Economy since there is less air/fuel being pushed into the engine.

Shan2nu
Old 7th December 2009, 15:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Nice !! I am getting 1 year free insurance and am pushing for a free tire upgrade. Your average *should* improve once you go through a tank or two of Petrol. What colour did you get? I'm assuming you don't have any first hand *** experience at Tafe yet?
As I told earlier average is due to the road I am driving everyday. Hopefully it should still improve better, however when I decided to purchase this car I was not particular about FE as this is for driving pleasure (for FE I own ford IKON TDCI and am happy with it).

I have bought Arctic Breeze (launch color of 2009 Laura).

I had a severe issue with RATs in my apartment complex and the first day there was a RAT bite in wiring inside the engine bay caused issues with ECU. I had to take the car to the service center and they changed the wiring (did not charged anything) and also helped me to get rid of the problem. Also I have read in this forum how to deal with RAT issues and was really helpful to resolve this issue.

From sales, you can contact Jose and Joseph at TAFE ACCESS at St.Marks Road, they are really nice people.

Please find attached some of the PICS of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency-dscn3315.jpg  

Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency-dscn3317.jpg  

Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency-dscn3326.jpg  

Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency-dscn3319.jpg  

Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency-dscn3327.jpg  

Skoda laura 1.8 TSI Fuel Efficiency-dscn3318.jpg  

Old 7th December 2009, 17:39   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!! hassanks for you new ride. The new Laura looks very good, The 16" rims on the L&K look a lot better than the 15" ones offered in TSi and other lower trim variants. Which tires are these?
Old 7th December 2009, 17:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations!! hassanks for you new ride. The new Laura looks very good, The 16" rims on the L&K look a lot better than the 15" ones offered in TSi and other lower trim variants. Which tires are these?
They are Michellin Primacy LC 205/65/R15 (Rs.5400 each). Extremely smooth ride and minimal road noise.

The stock tires were Good Year Eagle NCT 5, road noise was high and used only for 1 day. Got exchanged at SAI IYENGAR in Indiranagar, Bangalore. Had to pay a total of 13K for exchange of 5 of them.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:09   #56
BHPian

Congrats! BTW I am going in for the TSI too after months of indecision. Color - yet to decide between Cappuccino Beige and Black. Cap. Beige - looked a little dull.
16" wheels - will you get the odo, speedo adjusted for this? The dealer did not seem to entertain this - I did not push thinking it might compromise ride .

Do share notes on initial delivery and other experiences with the dealer and car.
Regards
Old 7th December 2009, 18:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
This is all i was saying. Driving a car at a constant speed slightly below boost should improve F-Economy since there is less air/fuel being pushed into the engine.

Shan2nu
DEAR SHAN2NU ,
pls read my comment which i have posted earlier and pls accept that your point is not at all valid . i think you havent driven a turbo charged vehicle for a long time or havent at all.
pls do not push your point like this when its totally irrelevent.
u cant drive a turbo car in that turbo lag range which you call below boost range
Old 7th December 2009, 18:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
There is no ways that is the on road price ! I think that the ex showroom price on the Laura is 12.98 lacs? if this is true, that is one fat discount indeed ! I wonder how I can get that discount out of Tafe/Vinayak in Bangalore.
This is indeed the ex show room price (Ex Thane without Octroi) . Dealers in Mumbai are offering discounts of upto 90000 for corp.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
u cant drive a turbo car in that turbo lag range which you call below boost range
Actually you can drive a car in the turbo lag range. Of course your engine will not be as smooth, but the mileage will improve. I don't understand how this is. I always figured a turbo was to improve the efficiency of the engine.
Old 8th December 2009, 02:27   #60
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This may help you zero in on a color.
(1) White - My Elegance 1.9TDI A/T http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...h-4000-km.html
(2) Black - L&K http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nks-dad-5.html
(3) Cappucino Beige - IMHO, this is a dull color.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks