Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 10:05   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Actually you can drive a car in the turbo lag range.
Driving outside the turbo band means the car behaves like a NA (Naturally Aspirated) unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Of course your engine will not be as smooth, but the mileage will improve. I don't understand how this is. I always figured a turbo was to improve the efficiency of the engine.
Yes indeed... as in power not mileage.

Last edited by AirWind : 8th December 2009 at 10:07.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DEAR SHAN2NU ,
pls read my comment which i have posted earlier and pls accept that your point is not at all valid . i think you havent driven a turbo charged vehicle for a long time or havent at all.
pls do not push your point like this when its totally irrelevent.
u cant drive a turbo car in that turbo lag range which you call below boost range
First tell me what turbo lag zone means and why is there lack of performance when you're in it.

Shan2nu
Old 8th December 2009, 11:20   #63
BHPian

Wow!! I haven't gone through such a enlightening answer in a while now on tbhp!

So, if we are to go by what you say! Then lets take a Swift Vdi for example, so according to you it cannot be driven below 1900rpm!!

So even in bumper to bumper traffic, one would launch the car and drive above 1900rpm eh!! hehe!! Brother! I think you need to go back to driving school and refresh your driving skills!! Honestly, you are trying to push your point which is totally absurd!!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
DEAR SHAN2NU ,
pls read my comment which i have posted earlier and pls accept that your point is not at all valid . i think you havent driven a turbo charged vehicle for a long time or havent at all.
pls do not push your point like this when its totally irrelevent.
u cant drive a turbo car in that turbo lag range which you call below boost range
Old 8th December 2009, 21:52   #64
BHPian

well i own a 1.8TSI petrol superb and live in Delhi. well have done over 5000 kms and get a fuel average of about 9Kms per litre in city drive and 12 to 13 Kmpl on highway. Mind it my car is an automatic so you expext about 10% extra from a manual transmission
Old 8th December 2009, 22:45   #65
BHPian

dear shrey or ssjr0498 ,
here the point in debate is CRUZING IN BELOW BOOST PRESSURE RPM and here nobody is talking about how to start or to drive in bumper to bumper traffic . pls read the forum from start and then comment , dont just type in by looking at asingle page.
and i think let me know as you as saying @ swift vdi , that what speeds are you getting below boost rpm and really are those cruzing speeds?
do you have a vdi as u r mentioning ? if yes let me know what you achive in this range . pls
Old 8th December 2009, 22:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
First tell me what turbo lag zone means and why is there lack of performance when you're in it.

Shan2nu
in this zone the turbo is just spinning but havent reached the speeds for forced induction and you wont get the surge so typical of turbo cars.
now if you are taking the other side of this as the engine must be acting like a natural aspirated one then , but it doesnt hold true like that .
see for a natural aspirated engine the intake manifold is designed and engineered so as to provide air with minimum resistance geometry, may it be in terms of length of manifold, turns,bends in it and importantly swirl of air.
turbo cars have diff config. of inlets then the NA. so when they are in non turbo mode they dont breath that efficiently as their NA counterparts will do. volumetric efficincy suffers to some extent and performance is not upto the mark in non turbo mode.
thats the reason.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:23   #67
BANNED

8 month of using 1.8 tsi skoda octavia

hi
well i am now used for 6 month from may 2009 to dec 2009
i get normal fuel economy of
100 km 12 to 13liter in city
and in high way 7 to 8liter per 100 kilometer
also some fact i will post here
after in put a tuning box i get a lesser fuel economy
approx in city 12 to 15 liter
and on highy way 8 to 9 liter per 100 kilometer
but i am very happly witht the tuning box so i donot mind lesser fuel economy
now the most important part
the driving experince this car with tsi engine
has give me very good driving pleasure
i realy enjoy driving this car
and before i had a subaru forestor 2.5 xt tubo
with 280 bhp
but compared to 1.8 tsi i feel even 2.5 turbo engine is less powerfull than skoda 1.8 tsi
offcource one cannot compare both the engines because tsi is use comman rail fuel pressure system is advace tecnology than any japanese engine can offer
now
some servince info i change oil every 5k kilometers
also the spark plugs needed to change aprox 25k kilomer the service centre replace my spark plug after 15k kilometer free to charge and told to change new once after 35k kilometer
but this will paid change
also today i give my car for sevicing and oil change after completing 25k kilometers
they change the fuel filter
did engine flush and change a/c filter
narry
Old 8th December 2009, 23:48   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

@Narry: Your Octavia does have the TSi engine being discussed here, it has the 1.8 turbo petrol engine that was also used in the RS variant of Octavia. The TSi engine is a direct injection turbo engine available in Laura, Superb and A4 in india.
Old 9th December 2009, 08:50   #69
BHPian

i think @.anshuman meant that Narry's car does not have the 1.8 TSi it has a simple petrol with turbo, and not with an FSi.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:42   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Narry: Your Octavia does have the TSi engine being discussed here, it has the 1.8 turbo petrol engine that was also used in the RS variant of Octavia. The TSi engine is a direct injection turbo engine available in Laura, Superb and A4 in india.
hi
i know but my car is not in india i live in china
my is octavia combi 1.8 tsi
yes tsi engine
narry
Old 9th December 2009, 09:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
i think @.anshuman meant that Narry's car does not have the 1.8 TSi it has a simple petrol with turbo, and not with an FSi.
he has the same Laura TSI, except that it is known as Octavia in other part of the world
Old 9th December 2009, 10:03   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
he has the same Laura TSI, except that it is known as Octavia in other part of the world
yes
u are dead right nerd
Old 9th December 2009, 10:39   #73
BHPian

@narry,

What exactly is the chip doing to your car? here in India we have tuning chips for diesels but AFAIK, you need an ECU remap at the very least to get more out of a Petrol engine
Old 9th December 2009, 23:40   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
@narry,

What exactly is the chip doing to your car? here in India we have tuning chips for diesels but AFAIK, you need an ECU remap at the very least to get more out of a Petrol engine
hi
no i have put a steinabuer tuning box
this new tuning box for tsi petrol engine
u can visit
steinabuer.com
and have a look
nary
Old 9th December 2009, 23:43   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Oh i thought its Indian Octavia. I admit a mistake on my part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks