Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 20:22   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
Wont that would be really bad for volume sales (of other VW models) in market like india ? It will translate to -

VW :: Very expensive small car !
Depends on which way you look at it, but overall i think not.

The Beetle has its iconic presence, and WILL have a fair amount of takers, even @20L+++. In addition to that, i find it very unlikely that a highly priced CBU will affect the volume sales of the other cars from the same maker in any kind of adverse way, based on perception.

Also isn't "very expensive" interchangeable with "premium" or "desirable" in most cases? So therefore when they pop out the Polo next year at a much more reasonable price, i think it will work in their favour.

VW Polo for 4.35 lakhs - Business Standard

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2009 at 20:23.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:54   #32
BHPian

Beetle is an ordinary car. Everybody should know that.

In India, the problem is that if a car is sold in "small numbers" and if it is sold "Expensive", it automatically becomes an exotic.

If no one in India is buying a Mini, i dont see why people will buy Beetle.
Both were iconic. Everybody should also know that todays Beetle (which is based on Golf) has nothing to do with the iconic Beetle of the past- except for Looks.

Swift Sport, for example should defeat Beetle in terms of performance.
Now, if Maruti puts SX4 engine or M16 in a Swift, it should be able to tame some Beetles, and for a price we can all laugh about.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

The Phaeton did not do well worldwide 'coz it was too expensive to be a Volkswagen which translates to "people's car" in English. And selling VW's at such premium prices in India is going to do them no good.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:14   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

@aerohit - Nobody is buying Mini in india because it not sold here. The only similar car sold in india is Fiat 500.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Its really disappointing to see the bug without ACC. Is it only for this model or its the same across.
May I know the spec of earlier version Touareg. Was it not V10?
Old 10th December 2009, 14:36   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Dippy well covered, neither will sell much - due to the pricing -, and frankly as a marketing professional I don't think this will actually do much for them from the marketing point of view even toward selling other vehicles like the Polo or the jetta.

It's all a marketing extravagenza towards other more substatial models that they pin their hopes on, but somehow seem over-the-board.
Old 10th December 2009, 14:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
That so called 'new' Beetle is already a decade old design. So what's the fuss all about?
I bought the "NEW" Beetle in 2002 for my Daughter!!! 7 years back in the same famous Yellow that they have now launched in. My daughter still has it, and her husband wanted to upgrade to a new one, and I said what for its the same old design and motor?
Old 12th December 2009, 17:06   #38
BHPian

beetle is overpriced

Its basically a waste of money. The car sells for 10 lakhs in UK but the 100% import duty levied on it makes it 21 lakhs if you want to buy in India. There is nothing desirable or exotic in buying a car for twice its price even if you are rich.

Its just a policy adopted by the govt to help our local incompetant domestic car manufacturers stay competitive so that they can rest happy without innovating as the high import duty on foreign cars discourage Indian customers from buying them and have to do with local cars

I wouldn't mind buying a BMW 320d for 20 lakh but a beetle.. hmmm no way!
Old 12th December 2009, 18:30   #39
Team-BHP Support

Remember this Beetle is based on the Golf Mk IV platform which also serves for the Skoda Octavia. ELsewhere, the world has moved on to the Golf VI
Old 12th December 2009, 21:42   #40
BANNED

Price .....!

Firstly i would like to congratulate the Mumbai Beetle Club for putting up such a great show.

Well done guys.

As i always say, Nothing to Beat the Classic VW Bug.

And as per price is concerned, Bangalore has already seen 20 bookings and 3 deliveries the day it was launched.

Only the styling and the erstwhile name "Beetle" which is creating all the hype around this car.

If only this car was built in India, we can expect it to sell at around 12-14 lacs.

And not to forget , it will sell.

Someone said a Suzuki sport can beat this car in performance. What a joke.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th December 2009 at 21:43.
Old 13th December 2009, 00:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I bought the "NEW" Beetle in 2002 for my Daughter!!! 7 years back in the same famous Yellow that they have now launched in. My daughter still has it, and her husband wanted to upgrade to a new one, and I said what for its the same old design and motor?
Hmm, at least you & your daughter might be happy that even 7 years down the line her car isn't outdated/obsolete.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 13th December 2009 at 00:20.
Old 13th December 2009, 03:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

If BMW launched the mini cooper s for the same price - it would probably do some damage to the beetle, fiat 500 etc. It would be a hoot to own and drive with its 175 hp engine and character
Old 18th December 2009, 02:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

By the way, for those of you who think they aren't selling anything these days, I just heard from someone (well, a very credible someone) that "they made a big mistake" with the Beetle by allocating "only a few numbers" of the Beetle initially. The waiting period runs into July '10 !!
Old 18th December 2009, 02:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
May I know the spec of earlier version Touareg. Was it not V10?
Nope. 3.0 V6 diesel.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
Its basically a waste of money. The car sells for 10 lakhs in UK but the 100% import duty levied on it makes it 21 lakhs if you want to buy in India. There is nothing desirable or exotic in buying a car for twice its price even if you are rich.

Its just a policy adopted by the govt to help our local incompetant domestic car manufacturers stay competitive so that they can rest happy without innovating as the high import duty on foreign cars discourage Indian customers from buying them and have to do with local cars
completely agree with this point, but what can you do against the policy - you can't not buy a local car and imports are a waste of money!
Also I would anyday buy a fiat 500 or mini for 15lacs (if they were spec'd at 150bhp) VS a beetle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks