Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 08:54   #16
BHPian

These address a lot of issues I am still facing with my 7 month old Linea. It's good that FIAT will fix them in new cars even though they are unable to fix mine! I think if FIAT is able to do all this then in a few months from now their sales should pick up considerably!
Old 7th December 2009, 08:55   #17
BHPian

That's why it always pays to wait a few months before buying a introduced vehicle.What about existing owners.? Can they avail these changes.?
Punto has kind of created a stereotype for itself as far as interior quality is concerned. Already a lot of prospective buyers (including me) have been put off by it's interior quality. Hope these changes are enough to break it.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good Change in likely time.
But what about their OLD customers?
Whether they have abided with the issues?
FIAT should come forward to change the possible things to old customers and make them happy too.
Awaiting FIAT
Old 7th December 2009, 09:16   #19
BHPian

No plans for DSG huh?
Old 7th December 2009, 09:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

@akskarthik
Quote:
But what about their OLD customers
we old customers are gineapigs for fiat. they will launch all their experiment on us and then succesfully implement a improved product on others!!
Old 7th December 2009, 09:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well said aswin,
But i have a hope on FIAT.
Let's see.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Fix(ing) It Again Tony

(Disclaimer: Info typed is accurate till now, but may be subject to change and will be updated regularly. Please DO NOT ask any further questions.)

Fiat to considerably improve its versions of Punto and Linea by the time the euro 4 kicks in.

Highlights of changes:
  • New team to monitor quality control at Fiat at even stricter levels.
  • Additional sound insulation under the firewall and sand witch type roof lining in both punto and linea diesels for further noise reduction.
  • Alteration of 3rd and 4th gear ratios in punto MJD for better pickup.
  • Newly designed, more durable seat adjust leaver and bonnet opening mechanism with improved plastic quality
  • Tighter tolerances in interior panel gaps, especially at ignition area (punto) and door armrest (linea)
This is great news for the consumers. Competition in the Indian market is so severe that no manufacturer can take the consumers for granted. Fiat has realized this pretty soon and that they are acting soon is a good sign.
However, not sure on whether the tighter quality control norms will now have an impact on the prices; hope not for Fiat's sake
Old 7th December 2009, 10:00   #23
BHPian

its not justified to call these upgrades or improvements.

i think they should have released LINEA and PUNTO with a beta tag.

how can a company "afford" to loose its face value and then try to improve it?
Old 7th December 2009, 10:11   #24
BANNED

Good News finally arrived.
They should have done this homework before they released the vehicles.

One thing i didn't understand- The vehicles are launched after xxxxx miles of testing, is all that testing drivers / feed back department were dump people ?!
Old 7th December 2009, 10:15   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of these are corrections of quality. Good move, am sure these will not mean a price price rise.

Honda city interiors too were seen as being of not the greatest quality, and they have revamped them a couple of months back.

This is essentially a vendor correction. They to the test in India with most mechanical bits from the foreign versions and as they locallize parts are delivered Just In time to the plant and this affect the quality at times as the differences are noticed only at the last moment. (This is inspite of a golden sample system.)
Old 7th December 2009, 10:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

It's not possible to catch every defect in testing. That's why we have 'maintenance' releases But then many of the be fixes seem to cosmetic. Admission of defective paint is a huge blow though. I feel sorry for the BHP-ians who have had pre-mature rusting and other paint issues. They should have gotten this 100% right before putting it in production. Nevertheless, a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th December 2009 at 10:19.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post

There is nothing negative about it. All products are not perfect from day one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Good News finally arrived.
They should have done this homework before they released the vehicles.

One thing i didn't understand- The vehicles are launched after xxxxx miles of testing, is all that testing drivers / feed back department were dump people ?!
No. Different consumers have different product perceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Most of these are corrections of quality. Good move, am sure these will not mean a price price rise.

Honda city interiors too were seen as being of not the greatest quality, and they have revamped them a couple of months back.

This is essentially a vendor correction. They to the test in India with most mechanical bits from the foreign versions and as they locallize parts are delivered Just In time to the plant and this affect the quality at times as the differences are noticed only at the last moment. (This is inspite of a golden sample system.)
rightly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
It's not possible to catch every defect in testing. That's why we have 'maintenance' releases But then many of the be fixes seem to cosmetic. Admission of defective paint is a huge blow though. I feel sorry for the BHP-ians who have had pre-mature rusting and other paint issues. They should have gotten this 100% right before putting it in production. Nevertheless, a step in the right direction.
warrenty against anti perforation and corrosion is there. But is that a main reason that Fiat is offering a 50 month warrenty FOC?
Old 7th December 2009, 10:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

I wish I could retro-fit the noise reduction firewalls in mine, along with the VGT which is already in the wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Strange. Because Fiat tested their products for about a year before releasing them, and now, they have to incorporate basic changes to fix "Chrome falling off". I wonder how early adapters of their product see these changes. Anyway, better late than never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
@akskarthik

we old customers are gineapigs for fiat. they will launch all their experiment on us and then succesfully implement a improved product on others!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post

Better than TATA's beta testing on real customers with the Indica V1. But I am sad that my Punto is not getting some of these refinements.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th December 2009 at 10:48.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:04   #29
BHPian

FIAT must change the Cramped Footwell design in both the cars as it is the most uncomfortable part in Linea and Punto.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:07   #30
BHPian

the Fiat Punto & Linea, with all this changes would definetly be better products to buy, but what i would still expect is they should come up with completely revised ratios for final drive, not with changing ratio for 3rd & 4th gear only, the Gear box ratios i think are properly spaced.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed