Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 15:18   #151
BHPian

Yes!, at few places the quality of plastics could have been way better. What I found is the design/grains on the dashboard/doors plastic are not very appealling, dont give that high class feeling , thou they may be strong in strength. But the levers for boot, fuel lid, seat height adjuster, steering wheel height adjuster indeed look very fragile if not handled properly they will break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
In my Punto, the support for the parcel tray has broken. This has definitely got something do with the quality.
Edit: the part i am referring to is the one marked in the pic (pic from GTO's review thread).
Hi Silent engine I was aware of the parcel try having that issue have seen it on test drive vehicles its broken. So what I did was to remove the strings attached to the boot door, that way it doesn't keep moving up and down with the door, ofcourse . But it doesn't bother I can always keep stuff and get it out with the parcel tray being at its place.
The reason I did this is because I knew it will break because at every mall/office and public parking lots they keep opening the boot for security check, so i thought it will eventually break sooner or later. Once it breaks it would be more annoying right !
Old 6th January 2010, 16:02   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi Silent engine I was aware of the parcel try having that issue have seen it on test drive vehicles its broken. So what I did was to remove the strings attached to the boot door, that way it doesn't keep moving up and down with the door, ofcourse . But it doesn't bother I can always keep stuff and get it out with the parcel tray being at its place.
The reason I did this is because I knew it will break because at every mall/office and public parking lots they keep opening the boot for security check, so i thought it will eventually break sooner or later. Once it breaks it would be more annoying right !
I also should have done that before! But i don't know if that would have helped in my case. This piece broke when i braked hard on a highway, parcel tray was already in place. Now I have just left it like that, with the strings removed.
Old 6th January 2010, 16:20   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Although the 75 Bhp Punto was great but this version has made sure that Indian masses have no reason to complain about FIAT .
This is a great car .
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedKrazy View Post
Any more info on 90 Hp Punto??? somebody please share some more photos and more details on when its going to be available for us?

From the picture it looks like its the same emotion pack 1.4 but a sports variant with all goodies and nice interiors in seats, leather wrappings, etc. If I am not mistaken isn't the current 1.4 Fire engine a 90 BHP one.
Old 6th January 2010, 16:25   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what I did was to remove the strings attached to the boot door, that way it doesn't keep moving up and down with the door, ofc
I did that once as per service guy's advice and got into more trouble. I detached the strings from the parcel tray and tried to close the boot, unfortunately the hooks at the end of the strings got stuck between the parcel tray and the boot door, thus creating additional pressure on the plastic layer on the C pillar to became detached from the beading at the edges.

IMO, there is no problem in keeping the parcel tray always attached to the strings unless you are placing something really heavy in the parcel tray.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th January 2010 at 16:28.
Old 6th January 2010, 16:52   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Yes!, at few places the quality of plastics could have been way better. What I found is the design/grains on the dashboard/doors plastic are not very appealling, dont give that high class feeling , thou they may be strong in strength. But the levers for boot, fuel lid, seat height adjuster, steering wheel height adjuster indeed look very fragile if not handled properly they will break.
Guys, please tone down your expectations. You want the quality of the Fabia, but want FIAT to price it at par with Swift. That will not work out.

Personally, I feel that FIAT should not have tried to catch up with the marutis and the hyundais. They should have built the Punto and Linea with high quality, given it bigger motors and sold them with a reasonable profit. The current strategy is not helping them.
Old 6th January 2010, 17:07   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the picture it looks like its the same emotion pack 1.4 but a sports variant with all goodies and nice interiors in seats, leather wrappings, etc. If I am not mistaken isn't the current 1.4 Fire engine a 90 BHP one.
I think the sports will have 90bhp MJD engine (VGT)
Old 6th January 2010, 17:10   #157
BHPian

Please don't tell that Sports is 1.4 Fire. I think its 90 bhp linea configuration.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

Carwale says

Quote:

1.3-litre Multijet engine in 90bhp tune, an electric sunroof, rear spoiler, red decals and dual colour leather seats
no. its 1.3L MJD with 90bhp. not the petrol one! might be VGT. cool specs!

Last edited by recshenoy : 6th January 2010 at 18:04.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:02   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't tell that Sports is 1.4 Fire. I think its 90 bhp linea configuration.
The Fiat Punto Sports comes with 1.3 MJD with VGT,producing 90 BHP.Yuk,the same engine in the Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD
Old 6th January 2010, 18:30   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Yuk,the same engine in the Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD
Dont know what the concern is. The 90 bhp VGT in the Punto should make a slightly more exciting proposition.

Although to claim it as a true sports version, they should have plonked in the TJet 120 bhp petrol engine.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post

Although to claim it as a true sports version, they should have plonked in the TJet 120 bhp petrol engine.

+1 to you my friend.

I'm sad that they didn't bring the Fiat Punto T-Jet to India.But,I am glad that they launched Linea 1.4 T-Jet :-)

Anyway let's wait for the day on which Fiat plonks 120 BHP T-Jet in Fiat Punto.It would be a awesome combination.
Old 7th January 2010, 07:57   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Personally, I feel that FIAT should not have tried to catch up with the marutis and the hyundais. They should have built the Punto and Linea with high quality, given it bigger motors and sold them with a reasonable profit. The current strategy is not helping them.
from where?! Maruti is using the same Fiat 1.3 MJD in their Swift & Ritz. The K series petrol used is also not a bigger motor than the 1.4 Fire.

If Maruti were to build Linea, they would have shed some weight, used the same 1.3 MJD engine, and given her skinnier tires. FE is all that matters right. They would call her Punto DZire.

Of course whatever Maruti markets, there will be amazing sales so obviously they can make more profit. Look at Swift DZire.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th January 2010 at 07:59.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:08   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
from where?! Maruti is using the same Fiat 1.3 MJD in their Swift & Ritz. The K series petrol used is also not a bigger motor than the 1.4 Fire.

If Maruti were to build Linea, they would have shed some weight, used the same 1.3 MJD engine, and given her skinnier tires. FE is all that matters right. They would call her Punto DZire.

Of course whatever Maruti markets, there will be amazing sales so obviously they can make more profit. Look at Swift DZire.
I think I got you confused. Let me try again. What I feel is that FIAT is trying to do a Maruti by targetting the mass market with a VFM product. But the trouble here is that the masses (except a few) will come, look at the Punto/Linea, praise it, and goes to a Maruti showroom and buy the Swift/Ritz.

At least in India they cannot beat Maruti in their game. Don't you see that even Hyundai is moving away from the VFM game with the i20 and the Verna?

So, I personally would have liked it if they wouldnt have skimped on quality, put a decent engine and priced it along with the i20. They wouldn't have even sold half of what they are selling now, but the margins might have compensated for that. I am not too sure about the last statement, but at least it would have helped them build the brand. The way Honda and Skoda did.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:27   #164
BANNED

Fiat is doomed or not, what is the date of this doomsday? Having said all these, Have we tried to think following just for a second before giving verdicts ?
  1. that how can Indica slide to 4xxx levels in Dec'09 - almost over 50% de-growth over Nov'09?
  2. that how can Manza (which was hailed to give competition to all cars from entry-level cars to the luxury cars) down by some 15% in only its 2nd month as compared to previous month?
  3. that these sales figures are primary sales figures i.e. Manufacturer to Dealer
  4. that there are some reports that Tata-Fiat Ranjangaon plant was shut for maintenance from 15th Dec'09 to beginning of Jan'10
Reminds me a famous dialogue of the jeller Asrani from the Film Sholey
Old 7th January 2010, 11:41   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pity that both the 1.3 MJD and 1.2 L petrol from Maruti are more fun to drive than the lazy Fiats (no offence meant to owners). Heck, the 1.2 L Petrol in Ritz drives better than the 1.4 Fire, and is also much more refined. Japanese truely rock! Better FE is only icing on the cake

Quote:
They would call her Punto DZire.
And i am pretty sure Maruti will not use "Punto" . Don't think they Maruti wants to kill its own market domination.

Last edited by DCEite : 7th January 2010 at 11:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks