Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 12:15   #166
Senior - BHPian

thanks for your "distinguished" comments why are we discussing other manufacturer here , lets stick to the topic . chill everyone !!

Last edited by ms001 : 7th January 2010 at 12:34.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:42   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Exactly lot of unwanted comparison with respect to this thread. We are discussing everything apart from the subject: "Linea and Punto improvements and upgrades".

Mods will have work locking this thread as well in we continue to keep discussing everything apart from the subject.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:05   #168
Senior - BHPian

Anybody who visited expo, please comment if the interior quality has been indeed improved??
Old 7th January 2010, 15:10   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Exactly lot of unwanted comparison with respect to this thread. We are discussing everything apart from the subject: "Linea and Punto improvements and upgrades".

Mods will have work locking this thread as well in we continue to keep discussing everything apart from the subject.
Exactly. Lets not compare Fiat with Maruti in this thread.

Any further update from the owner of this thread??? Without concrete evidence it looks like more of a guess work or a wish list may be?

Is there any thread for "Fiat at Auto show" ? Or were they at Auto show at the first place
Old 7th January 2010, 15:18   #170
BHPian

folks, isnt this the 1st anniversary of the linea? pls correct me if I'm wrong - I was expecting some anniv specials/offers if it indeed is the anniversary month.
Old 7th January 2010, 15:37   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Exactly. Lets not compare Fiat with Maruti in this thread.

Any further update from the owner of this thread??? Without concrete evidence it looks like more of a guess work or a wish list may be?

Is there any thread for "Fiat at Auto show" ? Or were they at Auto show at the first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
folks, isnt this the 1st anniversary of the linea? pls correct me if I'm wrong - I was expecting some anniv specials/offers if it indeed is the anniversary month.
Ya we have offers, Insurance, extended warranty and road assistance all in 8000.
Isnt it great??
And FIAT thread is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...html:deadhorse
Old 7th January 2010, 16:57   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I think I got you confused. Let me try again. What I feel is that FIAT is trying to do a Maruti by targetting the mass market with a VFM product. But the trouble here is that the masses (except a few) will come, look at the Punto/Linea, praise it, and goes to a Maruti showroom and buy the Swift/Ritz.
Okay, got the point, and I tend to agree with what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Pity that both the 1.3 MJD and 1.2 L petrol from Maruti are more fun to drive than the lazy Fiats (no offence meant to owners). Heck, the 1.2 L Petrol in Ritz drives better than the 1.4 Fire, and is also much more refined. Japanese truely rock! Better FE is only icing on the cake
And i am pretty sure Maruti will not use "Punto" . Don't think they Maruti wants to kill its own market domination.
The engine is still the same, from Fiat. But why Maruti with the 1.3MJD is more fun to drive? Simple.. they are lighter, and the engine tuning is different, for example, Swift has got a bit more aggressive tuning on the same engine than Punto. Punto has a smaller turbo and has more weight to lug around.

Yea, Maruti won't use the word Punto because its an Italian word. They can use it's Japanese Indianized version.

I don't buy the argument that this Suzuki 1.2 engine is more refined than the Fiat 1.4 Fire, sorry. Driven both.

Quote:
Japanese truely rock!
Yea, In India, half of which is nowadays contributed by the 1.3 MJD, our National engine, thanks for Fiat & GM.
Old 7th January 2010, 17:46   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The engine is still the same, from Fiat. But why Maruti with the 1.3MJD is more fun to drive? Simple.. they are lighter, and the engine tuning is different, for example, Swift has got a bit more aggressive tuning on the same engine than Punto. Punto has a smaller turbo and has more weight to lug around.
One Weird thought, cant we get the Punto's Engine tuned to the parameters of the Swift for the same performance

If suppose, we get it tuned on the same lines as the Swift, the Punto will be some more Fun to drive, is it possible ?
Old 7th January 2010, 18:26   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
One Weird thought, cant we get the Punto's Engine tuned to the parameters of the Swift for the same performance

If suppose, we get it tuned on the same lines as the Swift, the Punto will be some more Fun to drive, is it possible ?
I think I'm not sure on this.

Swift is all about torquey drive

Punto is all about Linear power delivery
Old 7th January 2010, 19:45   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
I think I'm not sure on this.

Swift is all about torquey drive

Punto is all about Linear power delivery
In other words, Swift suffers from more turbo lag when compared to Punto
Old 7th January 2010, 20:58   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
In other words, Swift suffers from more turbo lag when compared to Punto
Well, IMO both suffers from turbo lag, but there is more punch in Swift when turbo comes alive.
But the Punto engine is tuned for better engine life and long term reliability.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is my post no. 666!

Last edited by clevermax : 7th January 2010 at 21:01.
Old 7th January 2010, 21:11   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Well, IMO both suffers from turbo lag, but there is more punch in Swift when turbo comes alive.
But the Punto engine is tuned for better engine life and long term reliability.
Whoa Where did you get that from ? Care to explain how the Punto engine is tuned for better engine life and long term reliability than the Swift ?
Old 7th January 2010, 21:23   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Whoa Where did you get that from ? Care to explain how the Punto engine is tuned for better engine life and long term reliability than the Swift ?
I was sure you will ask this question. But I don't want to write more on this. I am lazy, like my cars

BTW, Guys, do you know that the GP sold in UK etc. has EPS instead of Hydraulic PS? It was interesting to find this out! It is lighter than the Hydraulic setup, and it can be made more lighter with the 'City' button. Wish these features were also introduced to Indian GP!

Yea but I love the solid steering feel of the GP with Hydraulic system. It has the sweetest feedback.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th January 2010 at 21:38.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:45   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I got you confused. Let me try again. What I feel is that FIAT is trying to do a Maruti by targetting the mass market with a VFM product. But the trouble here is that the masses (except a few) will come, look at the Punto/Linea, praise it, and goes to a Maruti showroom and buy the Swift/Ritz.
Well first of all Fiat GP/Linea is a VFM product.
Reasons:
1. Build quality
2. Killer looks
3. Ride quality
4. Handling
5. Not great but good engine's
6. Reliability
7. Stability
8. Safety

Which other car gives you all this at the price of these cars?

Regarding masses, for majority of the people car means 2 things.
1. A.S.S
2. Ownership cost

Quote:
Don't you see that even Hyundai is moving away from the VFM game with the i20 and the Verna?
IMO to some extent they deserve the price they are asking for.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:53   #180
BHPian

Quote:

At least in India they cannot beat Maruti in their game. Don't you see that even Hyundai is moving away from the VFM game with the i20 and the Verna?

So, I personally would have liked it if they wouldnt have skimped on quality, put a decent engine and priced it along with the i20. They wouldn't have even sold half of what they are selling now, but the margins might have compensated for that. I am not too sure about the last statement, but at least it would have helped them build the brand. The way Honda and Skoda did.
+1, I agree Fiat is confused on what it needs to do. I dont think they can compete on VFM. Maruti, Tata and Hyundai are better adept at it. Infact volume players will beat a fringe player on this proposition. Fiat should look at being a Niche player and focus on making better margins and providing better quality. Atleast the enthusiasts and hard core fans of Italian design will pay a little more to buy their Fiats
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks