Team-BHP - 'Cash for clunkers' comes to India also?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   'Cash for clunkers' comes to India also? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/71144-cash-clunkers-comes-india-also.html)

Heard a news today morning in TV that some discussions are going on for a scheme like 'Cash for clunkers' in India also.

If it comes true, it will be a booster dose for Indian car manufacturers, considering the number of old 'smoking' cars plying in Indian roads.

But will the Indian government spend that much money for 'environment', customers and manufacturers?

What exactly is the 'Cash for Clunkers' scheme? Is it something related to buy back of old vehicles by Government.

Expect to see a lot scrap vehicles reappear. They should be strict on this. It should be applied on trucks at least

I doubt if this will happen here. Sure, we know about the environment and all that but India cannot afford to throw away perfectly working cars while families of five travel on scooters. Its one of those things that work in the West but not here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 1623151)
What exactly is the 'Cash for Clunkers' scheme? Is it something related to buy back of old vehicles by Government.

It is an amount paid to the individual by the US government for trading in less fuel efficient vehicle for a more fuel efficient one.

Car Allowance Rebate System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No way is our govt going to do that. Let them reduce the duties first.

If something happens in US, it has to happen in India also.

Nevermind all the good things happening in the rest of the world.

India probably still believes that bad economic policies of the US came from godly heavens as a curse.

What the Govt is actually thinking of is to scrap private vehicles older than 15 years & commercial vehicles older than 10 years.
Those people whose vehicle come under this scheme will be offered free registration & a rebate on tax on the new vehicle they buy.

That's stupid. The Indian car industry is growing like crazy right now. The cash for clunkers scheme was introduced to boost up the car industries of various countries. I'll be dead against it coming to India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1623174)
Expect to see a lot scrap vehicles reappear. They should be strict on this. It should be applied on trucks at least

+1 to that. You cannot imagine the ingenuity of our people in misusing these sops. I know a person who brought a fiesta using an agricultural loan and in the end got waiver under the Central government scheme.

I doubt if our Govt is so magnanimous to follow the foot steps of USA. I would certainly take this with a pinch (or should I say loads) of salt.

First, we should address the pollution created by the big & old commercial vehicles. Then come to consumer cars.

BTw, I don't think Cash for Clunkers initiative will ever find its way to India. At least not in the next 30 years.

good for economics and environment.
many EU country offer Cash for clunkers 50/50%

such as in England,Suzuki Alto which cost 6700 pound
will receive 2,000 pound discount
UK goverment will give 1,000 pound
for older than 10 year car and Suzuki will give another 1,000 pound
for discount, sound good isn't it.

I wonder what is the sense in spending taxpayers money in a poor country on subsidising cars for the 5-8% of the population who presently own cars. As it is, the industry has recovered greatly and anyway booms and busts are part of any business. It is not that Indian auto industry is like the US, where extinction loomed.

id say it is a good way of mobilizing or triggering response in the owners of these 12-15+ year old smoke spewing monsters.

i feel it should be made mandatory based on inspection for the public transportation segment first, followed by the commercial vehicle segment and the taxi/ auto rickshaw segment for the first 5 years and then later extended on case to case basis (after a proper inspection etc) over the next 5 years to the private vehicle segment.