Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 12:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

Wow,brought back old memories.The first time i saw the city was when i was in the 10th.My school principal at that time bought the very first model.Since at that time the car wasn't available in Palakkad,his driver personally drove it all the way from chandigarh.Moreover at that time availability of unleaded fuel was an issue,he used to get 5 barrels of unleaded from coimbatore which was 45 km from palakkad.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:35   #77
BHPian

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but was the OHC VTEC much more performant than the equivalent NHC? That's what I heard from someone who has owned both, so just checking.
Old 12th December 2009, 16:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but was the OHC VTEC much more performant than the equivalent NHC? That's what I heard from someone who has owned both, so just checking.
Yes, it was. The OHC was lighter than the NHC and had more power too and was way much more fun to drive.
Old 13th December 2009, 00:03   #79
BHPian

the two cars i love the most .OHC is such a great car,even though its 9 years old it still runs like a newly delivered car.

The City never sleeps-number-5.jpg
Old 13th December 2009, 17:50   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
But compare that to Alto and A star, who are essentially same line of cars.
My point was that its not only Honda who is milking its customers (ref. comments about HCs being overrated). Other companies including a PSU made lot of money by selling newer generation cars along with older ones (of same line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
We are talking about companies who bring in new models at regular intervals and replace ancient stuff.
There are only a few companies in India that truly introduces new models.

I guess I am going too far from the topic.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:47   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice tribute to a cult car in the Indian context, Sid. The OHC was the first to bring 100 BHP + 7,100 rpm to the masses!

You know what makes the OHC so special? Simple because there wasn't a follow up act. Not by Honda, not by any other brand. There is no car under 10 lakhs today that has such a revv-happy engine. Or can match its 0 - 100 time. Or can bring such a W-I-D-E grin on your face each time you drive it.

Fact : Much as I love my '03 OHC, I had bought a Lancer in 2000. The Lancer had better road manners (especially high speed handling) and interiors. But once the Lancer clocked 1.0 lakh kms, I disposed her off ASAP for an OHC Vtec. There's been no looking back since. Today, my car is on its 7th year. Yet, it is the most fun to drive. Plus, she appeals to the head too. Only one annual visit to the service station, unbelievable cheap to own, 100% reliability and decent fuel efficiency. The 106 BHP and good looks are enduring factors.

I for one don't see any other C segment sedan that I'd sell my OHC Vtec for today. Fat chance, I'd see it as a downgrade

The City never sleeps-img_1508_edit.jpg
Old 14th December 2009, 11:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic tribute to a car that is so close to our hearts. The OHC may be an old car today but by no means look dated standing next to more modern machinery. The car has enough power to put a wide smile on your face and is reliable as hell at the same time. I remember lusting after one for so many years till that one fine rainy day on October 1st '06 that 1402 finally came into my life. These cars just go on and all they need is their regular service. I always feel so proud of myself when I sit at the wheel and see that 'H' on the steering wheel. Plus its an AT so its all more easy to drive.

Those scans of the Vtec brochure was pure nostalgia. Nicely done Sid. It was a pleasure reading your thread

The City never sleeps-honda.jpg
Old 14th December 2009, 11:48   #83
Senior - BHPian

City...

Every ones dream car.
It was one of the saddest moments of my life when the OHC was replaced with the Dolphin.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
City.
Every ones dream car.
It was one of the saddest moments of my life when the OHC was replaced with the Dolphin.
Myself, I was watching and admiring the OHC during its peak times in India (While I was abroad, thinking that when I 'm back this would be my car). And was utterly disappointed with the NHC's looks. Whoever designed it, the whole thing didn't appeal to me as a complete car. Whenever I saw one, I though some car was missing from that car. in front or at the back or somewhere. I looked like they took Civic and squeezed to fit Indian roads. Thats exactly I thought when I saw NHC for the first time during one of my vacations.
All said and done, OHC changed the way middle class India looked at a family sedan and no denial of that.
Good tribute by Sid too
Old 14th December 2009, 15:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Whoever designed it, the whole thing didn't appeal to me as a complete car. Whenever I saw one, I though some car was missing from that car. in front or at the back or somewhere. I looked like they took Civic and squeezed to fit Indian roads.

I too feel the same about the looks of NHC.The design doesnt look complete. The ANHC is much better..It looks very good from the side and back profile.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:09   #86
BHPian

This is the car all of us in my family can't forget. This picture was taken when it was 7 yrs and +100,000Kms. Much loved and babied by my father (by all of us too).

Dad used to take it personally (often accompanied by my mother as if they were taking their baby to a Doc) to service centre some 70kms away (150km to cochin earlier), wait there until the service is completed and bring her back.

ICE was untouched since my parents insisted on the basic OE. I too didn't push the matter since drive itself was more entertaining.
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-untitled1.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 17:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
This is the car all of us in my family can't forget. This picture was taken when it was 7 yrs and +100,000Kms. Much loved and babied by my father (by all of us too).

Dad used to take it personally (often accompanied by my mother as if they were taking their baby to a Doc) to service centre some 70kms away (150km to cochin earlier), wait there until the service is completed and bring her back.

ICE was untouched since my parents insisted on the basic OE. I too didn't push the matter since drive itself was more entertaining.
Thats a majestic car my friend. Great up-keep of the baby.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:43   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Thats a majestic car my friend. Great up-keep of the baby.
Thanks.
Backdrop is Chettinad Palace. Taken during our trip to Athangudi.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Thanks.
Backdrop is Chettinad Palace. Taken during our trip to Athangudi.
Maintained very well. Love the alloys as well. Will post a side pic of the car.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:52   #90
BHPian

I bought an OHC AT about a year ago and I was blown away by it. It may look like its wearing a business suit, but underneath, its heart is a sweet sixteen!

dr.jekyll and mr.hyde rolled up into one car!

Heres a teaser pic of my car {sorry for not posting more pics, but its a work in progress and I'll post the entire set when its fully ready - which may take some time!}

@ GTO, Dippy, Dhar's & others.... great OHCs mates! Keep em coming! And special thanks to sid for starting up this thread and great work to upload those brochures!
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-photo0006.jpg  

The City never sleeps-photo0011.jpg  

The City never sleeps-photo0041.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks