Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading the reviews of 1.5 city in the auto mags those days. It was even thrilling to read about the performance of that car. I still like OHC more than the ANHC and of course the NHC.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:55   #17
BHPian

Later in '99, there was a car that created much more anticipation and hype. This one had a much stronger brand recognition and larger fan following than Honda City. It even went on to become segment leader for sometime.

Pity it was let down by the difficiency in thoroughbread Japanese horses.

What if...?

Sid, hope you have the first drive report by "Auto India". It had an amazing introduction.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

For a moment I thought it was Diabloo posting from someone else's ID. Nice tribute to the car of your dreams Sid but.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

And it marked an entry of one of the biggest conglomerates in India, one that gained respect in terms of providing reliable, durable, high quality precision engineered automobiles at affordable prices.
You're kidding, right?
Old 9th December 2009, 12:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Agree with most of it, except for
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
into an affordable made-for-Asia 3 box.

EDIT: and add to that suman's quote

We dont want to go offtopic, anyway, pretty much everything that's to be said has been discussed here
(Is the Honda City overpriced? YES, I disagree )
pity the topic is closed
Quote:
5 Variants, different price points, one for every enthusiast, and one for every car lover who wants a "car with a soul".
The OHC had about as much soul as James brown. Sadly the NHC seems like an illegitimate child. I mean, it has so little of it !

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th December 2009 at 12:48.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:49   #20
BHPian

Whoa Sid, a thread after my own heart!

This was my dream car when I was in college. I still drool after its timeless exterior styling.

Such is the hold of this car on me that since I can afford 2 cars now, i'm seriously looking at buying a used OHC vtec or AT.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:02   #21
BHPian

Great Write up Sid. Quite a gripping narration and suspense was mounting, although it was clear that it was the nostalgia of the OHC.

I still remember the first time i was in a OHC V-Tec. It was my boss's car and we had to move the car and i got the keys.

Moment i stepped in, i could feel the warmth of the Soft cushion mats, the seats embraced me and mind was going oh..aw..wow.. Started the car and came the low growl response ready to pounce and it did pounce, i was not prepared and was totally zapped. Moved the car and stepped out in a state of trance. The whole day was blah blah about the car to my wife.

By the time i was ready to purchase the Honda, the OHC was history and came the NHC. . Had to buy it though, i like the OHC very much.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Strangely enough, when OHC was around, I was more smitten by Astra.
Same here - I still remember a purple/deep-blue Astra that I used to see near my office. Was drool-maal. The City and Lancer also looked cool, but the Astra seemed to be a shade better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Later in '99, there was a car that created much more anticipation and hype. This one had a much stronger brand recognition and larger fan following than Honda City. It even went on to become segment leader for sometime. Pity it was let down by the difficiency in thoroughbread Japanese horses.
Lancer ? And was it less horses that led to it's downfall ?
Old 9th December 2009, 13:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Aaaaaaaanyway, this thread won't end well. I shall take great pleasure reading it and giggling at the inevitable battle it will become.
Good prediction man. A couple of pages and there's people already taking pot shots at the City. Pity that it happens on a tribute thread too. We have some serious Honda haters here.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:55   #24
BHPian

A Tribute to OHC Type I & II

Good work Sid!.
I'll be glued to this thread for sure.

OHC is my all time favourite. I actually started drooling of OHC after we purchased it. (Till then my drool cars were Lancer SFXi and Astra Club). Soon we all fell in love with the car. We were so attached to the car that it was like a member of the family. My father was so much impressed that he was just waiting for an excuse to take it for a spin.

OHC still lives in our memories.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:33   #25
BHPian

I was so much in love with the OHC that I actually got a new one all the way from the Bangalore showroom (I am from Pune). I decided to buy a preowned OHC in Dec 03 and by then the NHC was in the Honda showrooms. I tried very hard but did not find any OHC in the used car market, then went to the Pune Honda showroom to check if they have any stock of the OHC but I returned dissapointed. I ended up calling all the Honda showrooms in India and luckily there was a signet silver OHC 1.5 EXI available in the Bangalore showroom.

PS: I had actually never driven a 1.5EXI before buying this car, I had only driven a 1.3 and fallen in love with the car.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:49   #26
BHPian

Fantastic on Sid, 1.5 OHC still lingers in my dream list. A perfect package and was a great car for Mods
Old 9th December 2009, 16:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

2000-2004 Honda City, City Vtec
Attached Thumbnails
The City never sleeps-dsc03175.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03176.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03177.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03178.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03179.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03181.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03182.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03183.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03184.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03185.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03186.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03187.jpg  

The City never sleeps-dsc03188.jpg  

Old 9th December 2009, 17:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

WOW, it feels like Sept 27th 2001 all over again!!!

8 years on, not a single rattle, all electricals working in top condition and still goes like a rocket....LOL

Awesome writeup dude.....

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 9th December 2009 at 17:13.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:24   #29
BHPian

The car that set the tone for Honda in India . The Vtec became a dream and a legend in both stock and modded guises . The twin exhuast ,the alloys , the spoiler and the gem of an engine had almost everybody hooked irrespective of age . Driving one still gives an adrenaline rush . What a car .
Old 9th December 2009, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Awesome car

I have never owned a Honda City and hadnot driven one for long, until last month. Last month when I went to India on vacation for 2 weeks, managed to get a friends Honda City to drive around for the two weeks.

It was a 99 OHC, used and abused to some extent, with 92K on the odo. It ran like a dream and the acceleration was good to leave many of the modern cars behind at signal lights. Was equally good on city roads and highways. It gave me around 17 kmpl overall with AC on always, me wife and son always on board. I was dumbstruck to see a 10+ year old car perform this way. The car seemed better than the Elantra CRDi which I owned earlier, albeit the absense of many safety features and creature comforts. All said and done, the OHC was the best part of my last trip home.

I am not sure whether I would buy the ANHC now. It seems to have got lost in the whole array of other cars that are available in the market now, for comparable or lesser price.

Nice article Sid, waiting eagerly to see how you put it out.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 9th December 2009 at 17:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks