Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 18:25   #31
BHPian

Awesome writeup.. makes me feel great!! Just wish my alloys were that clean!

Cheers
Shrey
Old 9th December 2009, 18:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

I got a 2000 OHC 1.5 Exi around 3 years back. It had done 65k. I was driving an e zen before this. The ohc engine brought a huge smile to my face. The suspension and tires made me scream. A suspension tweak and tire upgrade is all it took to make this car perfect driving machine. At 1.2 lakh kms, it still brings a smile to my face every time I take the wheel.

I agree with others that calling it affordable is a bot of a stretch.

Angad, that was some enthusiastic determination you had!

Cheers
amitoj
Old 9th December 2009, 20:05   #33
BHPian

Great write up sid.I never like the exterior and interior of OHC.But I liked Opel Astra more.When one of my seniors got the car (as dowry ) he took us for a drive!

I still remember the article which came in Auto India about OHC.? written by Hormazd Sorabjee.

The article goes like this....."we were riding the OHC along the highway at about 90km/hr in fourth gear.Then we saw a car ?Astra coming from behind at about 100km/hr and flashing headlights!.It seemed that the driver was drunk.

We shifted to 3rd gear and floored the accelerator, the car (OHC) reached 130km/hr in a few seconds and continued to accelerate,the car which followed was reduced to a speck in rear view mirror, and soon we ran out of road.Welcome to the world of Honda City."

Please forgive if I am wrong.If anyone has that edition please scan the page and put it in this thread.

I am still experiencing some of that exitement with ANHC.But as a true BHPian I drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
That's an oxymoron.

Aaaaaaaanyway, this thread won't end well. I shall take great pleasure reading it and giggling at the inevitable battle it will become.
True ImmortalZ.When Sid writes about OHC almost everyone will agree.If he writes anything about ANHC ,it will go the usual way.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

OHC VTEC and ANHC are my favourites, all other 'versions' they launched between these two lacked character. Honda cars in general are very highly overrated/under equipped in India.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK OHC VTEC had a Ex Showroom price of 10.5lakhs in New Delhi. Please correct if i am wrong.
Old 10th December 2009, 00:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
I still remember the article which came in Auto India about OHC.? written by Hormazd Sorabjee.

The article goes like this....."we were riding the OHC along the highway at about 90km/hr in fourth gear.Then we saw a car ?Astra coming from behind at about 100km/hr and flashing headlights!.It seemed that the driver was drunk............Welcome to the world of Honda City."
Yes. the same unforgattable words which left me wanting for that machine. I have read that test drive n number of times. Perfect suiting words for the machine.
Not sure whether he mentioned the other car as Astra though.

@Basil
Was that 1.3 99OHC?
We used to get 17kmpl in highways with occasional spirited driving.
Even when the car was 7 years old and +100,000/- run, with 4 adults, upsized wheels and high spirited 120kmhr drive through golden quadrilateral, she returned 17kmpl.
My Alto returns only 19kmpl........
Old 10th December 2009, 08:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
AFAIK OHC VTEC had a Ex Showroom price of 10.5lakhs in New Delhi. Please correct if i am wrong.
man, in that case Honda has made ANHC much cheaper. Its more featured and ex showroom is almost 1.5 lacs less!
Old 10th December 2009, 09:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

If you really want to know how the ANHC is the deal of the century, factor in depreciation. How much was the US$ to rupee in 1999 and how is it now?
Old 10th December 2009, 09:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Immortalz, with all due respect, this is the ANHC we are talking about, not the CRV - what does the US$ have to do with the current model pricing?
Old 10th December 2009, 10:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Immortalz, with all due respect, this is the ANHC we are talking about, not the CRV - what does the US$ have to do with the current model pricing?
For depreciation. 10.5 lacs in '98 is more like 18-20 lacs now. He mentioned $ for an easy reference.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Same here - I still remember a purple/deep-blue Astra that I used to see near my office. Was drool-maal. The City and Lancer also looked cool, but the Astra seemed to be a shade better.
The Astra was a lot more solid in build compared to the Jap cars. However, i believe that led to its downfall in the FE game.

I personally didnt like the looks too much of the Type 1 OHC. Something about it wasnt complete. I believe it was the same with the NHC as well, till the NHC ZX came up. When the Type II was released, it looked smashing and with a nice set of alloys and kit, it looked swell!

The OHC had a lot of similarity with the 2000 Honda Civic. Why then didnt they call it the Civic when they launched it in India?

A Pic from Google Images :

2000 Honda Civic

The City never sleeps-f_17433997_1.jpeg

Old 10th December 2009, 10:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
For depreciation. 10.5 lacs in '98 is more like 18-20 lacs now. He mentioned $ for an easy reference.
Yes, but that trend is noticeable in almost all cars, not just the City......
Old 10th December 2009, 10:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yes, but that trend is noticeable in almost all cars, not just the City......
I am not sure about that Suman. Case in Point is OHC 1.5 Vtec was 10.5 L ex showroom in 98. New model Vtec now its 9L. Its reduced in Ex Showroom by 1.5L. Not counting the fact that its got airbags, ABS and other goodies.

How many car models can you give as an example which has reduced the EX Showroom price by more than 15% in last 10 years? (I am not talking about failed and hence had to reduce price to sell products).
Old 10th December 2009, 10:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post

I am not sure whether I would buy the ANHC now. It seems to have got lost in the whole array of other cars that are available in the market now, for comparable or lesser price.
Have a test drive and see !
Old 10th December 2009, 10:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The OHC had a lot of similarity with the 2000 Honda Civic. Why then didnt they call it the Civic when they launched it in India?

A Pic from Google Images :

2000 Honda Civic

Attachment 242684
THE OHC (3rd Gen) was based on 4th Gen EF Civic platform and hence the similarity. It was designed and sold only in south east asian countries, India & Pakistan. By that time, the Civic was in 6th/7th generations..

Most Viewed