Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 10:08   #1
BHPian

GM to issue 100% refund to Chevrolet Forester owner. For misrepresenting it as an SUV

Guys, I had a good laugh when I read this news in today's papers

A senior citizen from Mumbai filed a lawsuit against GM for advertising their now defunct Chevrolet Forester as an off-road vehicle. He won Rs. 13 lakh as compensation.

To read more, click here.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:16   #2
BHPian

well seriously thats a really really good thing to do.

the companies in india sell us all type of stuff with a banner on it.

i hope we could similarly sue FMG companies who sell us goods by having a photo-shoped girl as their brand ambassador.

time to bring in some honesty.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:22   #3
BANNED

So we are becoming a litigious nation!
Old 9th December 2009, 10:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
So we are becoming a litigious nation!
I would say Consumer Activism.

Ethical Marketing is key. Stating the facts honestly, proactively, before selling is key.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:28   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It may be worth of mention that this is NOT the first time GM has been found guilty of misrepresentation. I remember a case where an Opel Astra owner was refunded 100% of the cars cost, as the consumer court felt GM falsely proclaimed the car as German.

Look, we have to understand that, as enthusiasts, our knowledge & expertise gives us the ability to filter out the marketing rubbish. However, the layman out there will believe than an M800 has a turbocharger if a salesman tells him. Such judgements will ensure that manufacturers develop a cautious stance when outlining their product advantages.

Quote:
NEW DELHI, APRIL 18: In a landmark judgement which could put the skids on claims made by auto majors, the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission has ordered US auto giant’s Indian subsidiary, General Motors India (GMI), to shell out Rs 2 lakh as compensation besides refunding the price of an Opel Astra sold to a customer six years back.

The Commission — setting aside a state commission order dismissing the complaint — passed its own order on the ground that GMI claimed its Opel Astra car was ‘‘German engineered’’ while it was actually fitted with an Australia made engine. Also, the complainant, lawyer Vinoo Bhagat, had said that the company and its dealer, both respondents, could not rectify defects in the car despite the vehicle being sent over to them repeatedly.
Link to Indian Express

Case details of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2009 at 10:31.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:29   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes! hope all advertisers focus on honest claims and stop misleading consumers.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:36   #7
BHPian

i would say hats off to Ashok Tolat for setting an example that Big or small, no company can get away duping citizens
Old 9th December 2009, 10:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't this an old case?

I had read about this 3-4 years back. Is it the same case being reported again or could it be like the case started then but got closed now?

In any case, the Forester manuals clearly says this is not a full fledged offroader but GM in their desperation to sell the car would have goofed up.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

PS: This mean one can have more chances of winning the case if done over Suzuki for terming a car as man ?? (Remember Men are back ;-))
Old 9th December 2009, 11:32   #10
BHPian

Yes I do remember this one(though I thought it was a case closed long time back). I bumped upon this incident while I was trying to find more information on how to file consumer complaints.

These incidents should act as eye openers and stress the importance of consumer rights !

Also its high time we should have laws to buttress small though significant requests like product return, refund of entire amount within stipulated time if a consumer is dissatisfied with a product etc, which are already enforced in full swing at other developed/developing nations.

This is an incident that sounds so re-assuring to Indian customers.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:08   #11
BHPian

Does that mean every forrester user can file lawsuits and claim their compensation? That would be a killer deal for all forrester users...Forrester to fortuner for just over 7 Lakhs ! Wow!
Old 9th December 2009, 12:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Look, we have to understand that, as enthusiasts, our knowledge & expertise gives us the ability to filter out the marketing rubbish. However, the layman out there will believe than an M800 has a turbocharger if a salesman tells him. Such judgements will ensure that manufacturers develop a cautious stance when outlining their product advantages.
Well several dealers sell cars with "Anti Braking systems". That's not fair! Why should such car buyers have the ability to crash into things and then go scott free just because anti braking its a feature in their car. Misrepresentation at its worst!

The cars that come with "Anti breaking systems" may be good though. I wonder if the car owner can sue the dealer if his "indestructible" car breaks into pieces after a major crash!
Old 9th December 2009, 12:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Indeed a good and interesting case where one Old man taking a multinational company into the court and winning the case.

Mr Tolat is showing the nation how to fight and safeguard the rights of the consumer. Even at this age he keeps on fighting against an erroneous
car manufacturer and it should be a lesson for them or anyone else and will think twice before making any such mistakes in the future?
Old 9th December 2009, 12:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Can one sue Fiat for not getting 'enough' Admiration (picture the boy in the ad drooling while Linea passes by) while driving a Linea? This is interesting. I was under the impression that these kind of cases could only be won in the US.

EDIT: Recently heard that someone won a case against AXE, for him not getting attracted by women, after using their deo for years - contradicting to what they show in the Ad!

Last edited by clevermax : 9th December 2009 at 12:39.
Old 9th December 2009, 12:43   #15
BHPian

Good to hear of this case being fought and then found in favour of the wronged consumer.
Whether the layman has technical knowledge of a product or not, the companies should not misrepresent their products in advertisements in the name of creativity.

Most Viewed