Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 16:07   #1
BHPian

Daewoo plant in Greater Noida

Hi folks,

I started this thread after reading a quote from sidindica (in a separate thread) about the defunct Daweoo plant in Surajpur, Greater Noida. I wanted to know if any one of you has any information on whats going on there? Is the Argentum plan to manufacture cars on contract basis still on? Or have they decided to strip the plant and sell the tools?

MODS: Please delete this topic if it already exists elsewhere
Old 10th December 2009, 17:10   #2
BANNED

I worked there....

Hmmmm makes me nostalgic.
This was my first job after college. I guess we were told that the plant was all set to stripped, the machinery sold and the land given back to the lessee. But that was long ago, not sure whats happening now. Any photos of the place that you may have? Just to take a walk down memory lane....
Old 10th December 2009, 17:28   #3
BHPian

I cross this road almost daily and do not see anything happening there. Just few guards on gates and thats it. I will take some photos on this weekend and put them here.
Old 4th April 2012, 22:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Daewoo plant in Greater Noida

What lies here? Its this.
Attached Thumbnails
Daewoo plant in Greater Noida-293754_380201752014116_100000728839436_1256771_385377253_n.jpg  

Old 4th April 2012, 22:23   #5
BHPian

What are those Engines doing there?? This plant is very old and still nothing has happened! Shocking.
I guess those engines maybe good to use , are they in good condition, whats the specification??If these engines are just lying around doing nothing i dont think the owners would mind if someone puts them to use instead of them just lying there!
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 23:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I always felt that GM made a colossal blunder in not taking over the Daewoo plant after they bought Daweoo Korea etc. Since Daewoo India was bankrupt, they should have been able to get the plant for a moderate amount - it was a state-of-art plant in which Daewoo had invested more money than any other foreign automaker in India, and a lot of machinery etc would be depreciated.
That would have given them headstart with Spark, Aveo etc and also ensured goodwill from sizeable Matiz customers (if they provided spares etc).
Instead they dug their head in the sand, and invested in a much more expensive plant in Halol and with huge time gone by in between. Tremendous opportunity lost!

From the point of waste of resources, skilled manpower etc etc., it was also a big loss!
Old 5th April 2012, 00:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I always felt that GM made a colossal blunder in not taking over the Daewoo plant after they bought Daweoo Korea etc. Since Daewoo India was bankrupt, they should have been able to get the plant for a moderate amount - it was a state-of-art plant in which Daewoo had invested more money than any other foreign automaker in India, and a lot of machinery etc would be depreciated.
That would have given them headstart with Spark, Aveo etc and also ensured goodwill from sizeable Matiz customers (if they provided spares etc).
Instead they dug their head in the sand, and invested in a much more expensive plant in Halol and with huge time gone by in between. Tremendous opportunity lost!

From the point of waste of resources, skilled manpower etc etc., it was also a big loss!
GM did negotiate with banks and lenders but could not come to an agreement on the final price.

In the end they decided to do a greenfield facility in Pune and the Noida plant was sold for lesser money to Agrentum which has generated zero direct/indirect jobs to serve the local community.
Old 5th April 2012, 01:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
What are those Engines doing there?? This plant is very old and still nothing has happened! Shocking.
I guess those engines maybe good to use , are they in good condition, whats the specification??If these engines are just lying around doing nothing i dont think the owners would mind if someone puts them to use instead of them just lying there!
As visible from their side profile. These engine seems to be DOHC MPFi units.
& AFAIR for the last time these engines were used in NEXIA sedan.
The latter was powered by 1.6l DOHC engines, generating 100+PS mated to Multi point fuel Injection system, as against its carburetted rival-ESTEEM.
The latter was the Improved, Powerful & more luxurious avatar of India's favorite CIELO sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks