Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 18:33   #1

Tata Safari In The Uk

Dear Forum

I have just purchased a 2001 Tata Safari 4x4 (1.9TD). Its a rugged and great car, something I think Tata should be proud of!! It certainly turns heads on British streets.

The problem I have is that there are no manuals in English and I am not familiar with the Tata engine. Is it true that it is based on a Peugeot engine?

Does anybody know where I can buy a manual from (in English!) so that I can look after this vehicle?

Any advice or suggestions about this or the safari would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Roger
Old 10th December 2009, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephaistou View Post
I have just purchased a 2001 Tata Safari 4x4 (1.9TD). Its a rugged and great car, something I think Tata should be proud of!! It certainly turns heads on British streets.

The problem I have is that there are no manuals in English and I am not familiar with the Tata engine. Is it true that it is based on a Peugeot engine?

Does anybody know where I can buy a manual from (in English!) so that I can look after this vehicle?

Any advice or suggestions about this or the safari would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Roger
Not sure if its based on Peugeot or not. You have 1948cc TCIC, right ?
That is the motor with tata since long.

You can try this thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...load-here.html

I did try searching on google, but did not find one.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have just purchased a 2001 Tata Safari 4x4 (1.9TD). Its a rugged and great car, something I think Tata should be proud of
where I can buy a manual from (in English!) so that I can look after this vehicle?
Glad to know we have Tata Safari fans in UK too. Have you tried dropping an email to customercare @ tatamotors .com? They do have a responsive customer support (at least in India) and am sure they would be able to help you.

-BJ
Old 10th December 2009, 21:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can you please post some pictures of your ride? Would like to see how the export market Safari looks.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Please view this thread to view more used Tata Safaris for sale in the UK
Used Car Search | Auto Express

A sample advertisement
Tata Safari In The Uk-media0.jpg
5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 2004 04 Reg, 33,000 miles, LEATHER AIRCON SEVEN SEATS CALL WEMBLEY. Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Radio/Cassette, Radio/CD, Sports seats, Steel wheels, Front electric windows, Rear electric windows, Rear wiper, Electric door mirrors, Heated door mirrors, PAS, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Trip computer, Front fog lights, Metallic Paint, Extra seats, Leather seats. Insurance Group:10, IDEAL FAMILY CAR WITH 7 SEATS,AIRCON DIESEL ECONOMY.CALL WEMBLEY 020 89039181, ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED.FINANCE FACILITIES AVAILABLE., £3,995
Another UK Safari picture (autoexpress)
Tata Safari In The Uk-media.jpg
Its not raining Safaris in the UK forever.
The day of the Scorpios will also come!!!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th December 2009 at 21:16.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Tata 1.9TD is based on an old Peugeot Block. I had read a review in a British magazine many years back when the Tata Sierra was launched in UK as the Sherpa or something like that. You can occationally see a 4WD Sierra in UK.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:02   #7
BHPian

As you are new to this forum, providing herewith some link for safari TCIC. Please go through these. Try to contact this man (ibm_jaennifer). He is enthusiast. Very possible he can help you in some manner.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...onization.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ance-cost.html
[FONT=&quot]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ta-safari.html[/FONT]

Quote:
Dear Forum

Is it true that it is based on a Peugeot engine?

Roger
For india TATA is having technological collaboration with Cummins but this was for trucks only. Peugeot has supplied engine to in india to M&M, Maruti and FIAT.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Owner's Manual
There you go.
You can use the Safari Dicor manual for the vehicle.
And as for the engine, use the Sumo Victa's ( http://customercare.tatamotors.com/manual/SumoVicta.pdf )
On Pg 82, the tech specs for TATA 483 DL TCIC is the one for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SafariDicor.pdf (2.42 MB, 1950 views)
Old 10th December 2009, 23:35   #9
BHPian

Hope this helps

http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...afariDicor.pdf

Though it belongs to the next generation of safari's.Still most of it apart from the engine remains the same
Old 11th December 2009, 10:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Roger

Is your Safari a Blue one?
I used to see a Blue colour Tata Safari now and then when I was in Chesterfield - Town Center to Manor Offices area.

I did see some Safari's in Birmingham and even in London. But I've seen more City Rovers (Tata Indica) in Birmingham / Solihull area.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

I used to see quite a few Safari TCIC on the M1 around the Leicester area, but they would have a hard time even keeping up with the 70mph limit, let alone exceed it. I had learnt that they didn't exactly receive a good response in UK especially because of the slow-coach engine
Old 11th December 2009, 12:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why is TATA not providing 2.2 VVT eng in other countires? is it due to pollution norms?
Old 11th December 2009, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tata is not selling their vehicles in the U.K anymore, the Safari's sales were discontinued even before the 2.2 dicor launch.
Tata and Mahindra did not find sucess in the U.K. There are still quite a few Cityrovers running about and despite the scathing by the English press most owners I know swear by it. The Tatamobile pick ups sold well initially but then started showing a lot of niggles and rust issues.
M&M had a disaster with the CJ series launch (I think M&M imported kits and assembled it somewhere in Europe to save taxes). Initially a few did sell but the customer complaints soared and M&M withdrew from the U.K and left dealers in the cold. If Im not wrong there are still a few lawsuits pending.
Its pretty evident that Tata and Mahindra did not have the most auspicious of starts in the U.K but they have travelled a long way since. Cant wait for the second coming.
Old 11th December 2009, 15:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

They still sell in Eu specifically in Italy in good numbers. The 2.2 Dicor was launched in EU/Export markets even before it came here. I suppose UK has no more sales which why you may not see it but I am sure if you enquire their dealer will still make on available to you - Brand new

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks