Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 10:30   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
the interceptors use laser detectors i feel thats why they can catch induvisuals in a group of cars speeding with individual speeds.
regarding speeding on our roads ,Agreed that there is barely any space to drive but there are a few places where you can temporarily stretch your cars legs and the imbeclie cops stand there to make money.
The law that is being enforced by the cop has been made by us. Then why is the cop an imbecile?
Old 14th December 2009, 10:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: In Bangalore these interceptors are generally located on the new airport road, the ring road coming from Yeshwantpur towards magadi road, mysore road after the RV college near Kengeri, sometimes on the marathalli - sarjapur ring road.

These guys make a lot of money (actually unofficial fines ) no wonder they are there everyday.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
sid:

Great thread and feel good to see the interceptors at work, I have seen quite a few in Bangalore but never heard anyone being caught.

From your post can I draw a conclusion that contrary to popular belief, smaller cars actually are more in violation that larger cars OR it is just that there are more smaller cars on the road so more small car violators?

No German cars
I was caught in banglore, yeswantpur - magadi road , luckily i had only Rs 100 in my purse.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

What is the make and model of the radar gun?
Old 31st December 2009, 14:46   #20
BHPian

In Mumbai, on the Eastern Express Highway, I have even seen the cops trying to be smart by putting up lifesize cutouts of a traffic cop and a senior holding a speed tracking device (all cardboard and paper) but at first glance, it does look like they are really there, especiallyu at night. Noticed quite a few drivers slow down before they realized the trick
Old 31st December 2009, 15:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
The law that is being enforced by the cop has been made by us. Then why is the cop an imbecile?
its very obvious.
if they want to book you for speeding they might as well put a stationary speed detector all over the roads.
but our cops want to make that "extra buck" .
dont tell me that you have not payed a bribed a cop before.
i have personally witnessed a person paying over 500 bucks for a fine worth 300 bucks caught by our very own interceptors similary i have seen people bribing the cops to get away without a challan at a lower amount.

I still stand strong with my post .
Old 31st December 2009, 15:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Notice how the bulk of the interceptor is hidden from oncoming traffic behind the petrol pump sign? Thats real smart.

In Bangalore, you can spot these from a mile away! specially on the road to the airport.

But having said that, i have also seen one interceptor in Delhi, on outer ring road, parked on the divider!! Not very obscure, that one!
Old 31st December 2009, 15:53   #23
BHPian

The point worth noting is, there are several streches of road where there are very few cars on the road and they are not within either the residential or commercial areas.

For instance the strech between Shiv Murti and Dwarka. How can you control yourself from going over 80 on this strech of the road.

May be the law should be amended to increase the speed limit on such roads, which are away from residential or commercial areas.
Old 31st December 2009, 19:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

the 80 speed limit is simply not right for the new airport road in bangalore. 6 lane road and me trying to keep my speed below the limit and volvos ripping past me is very awkward
Old 31st December 2009, 23:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
but the cam has zero effects at night.
So does that mean they cant catch us at night?
Old 1st January 2010, 00:11   #26
BHPian

Banglore folks working in EC and leaving around 5pm for their home take note.
2 Interceptors have been positioned on hosur road.
One just opposite to BMW Navneet motors and the other opposite the honda showroom.
And the fun part is the traffic police are saying that the speed limit on the now smooth hosur road is 70kmph.Do they expect us to travel home only on the 3rd gear
Old 1st January 2010, 10:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Prior to these interceptors, The Delhi Traffic Police used to use handheld radar guns while hiding behind bushes on the divider. Since those didn't capture the picture, they could be disputed in a court of law and hence Interceptors have been used more and more now. I have been fined once in Delhi and got fined about 6 months ago on the Devnahalli Airport road doing 93 in the 80 zone. What impressed me in Bangalore was the policeman had a blackberry through which he entered the details of my vehicle on to the central database and a thermal printer attached to a Pocket PC printed out the Challan.

@Vinaydas: Rules are there for a purpose. We all knowing as well as unknowingly break many a rules everyday, but doesn't mean they should be scrapped. Btw how many times would you break speedlimits while driving in US/UK/Europe just like you do here in India. Is it because we Indians tend to only understand the language of the stick?

P.S: Sppedlimit on a US Freeway is only 55KMPH, Motorways in UK/France have only 70mph/100kmph speedlimit even though they have much better infrastructure than us and by that standard 80-100kmph for Indian highways is PRETTY GOOD.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 1st January 2010 at 10:37.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sid,
Why no Altos were pulled upl? Are they not good enough? I am offended!
Old 1st January 2010, 12:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

P.S: Sppedlimit on a US Freeway is only 55KMPH, Motorways in UK/France have only 70mph/100kmph speedlimit even though they have much better infrastructure than us and by that standard 80-100kmph for Indian highways is PRETTY GOOD.
where in the us is a freeway speedlimit 55kmph? i think its more between 60-70mph.
Old 1st January 2010, 13:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
where in the us is a freeway speedlimit 55kmph? i think its more between 60-70mph.
Oops my bad. I meant 55mph. You are right it seems its been increased to 65-70mph Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have 100kmph speedlimit on our highways which I think is pretty good considering the madness that goes around on our roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks