Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2010, 16:59   #31
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Banglore folks working in EC and leaving around 5pm for their home take note.
2 Interceptors have been positioned on hosur road.
One just opposite to BMW Navneet motors and the other opposite the honda showroom.
And the fun part is the traffic police are saying that the speed limit on the now smooth hosur road is 70kmph.Do they expect us to travel home only on the 3rd gear
Talk about messed up priorities. If at all the invest more time and effort on catching people who jump signals and break 1-way rules which are more of a pain than people driving at high speeds. Where are the roads in BLR to drive a high speeds- Hosur Road and maybe the new airport road...someone drive some sense into the block heads who are focusing on this and not the "real" issues on BLR roads
Old 1st January 2010, 18:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Prior to these interceptors, The Delhi Traffic Police used to use handheld radar guns while hiding behind bushes on the divider. Since those didn't capture the picture, they could be disputed in a court of law and hence Interceptors have been used more and more now. I have been fined once in Delhi and got fined about 6 months ago on the Devnahalli Airport road doing 93 in the 80 zone. What impressed me in Bangalore was the policeman had a blackberry through which he entered the details of my vehicle on to the central database and a thermal printer attached to a Pocket PC printed out the Challan.

@Vinaydas: Rules are there for a purpose. We all knowing as well as unknowingly break many a rules everyday, but doesn't mean they should be scrapped. Btw how many times would you break speedlimits while driving in US/UK/Europe just like you do here in India. Is it because we Indians tend to only understand the language of the stick?

P.S: Sppedlimit on a US Freeway is only 55KMPH, Motorways in UK/France have only 70mph/100kmph speedlimit even though they have much better infrastructure than us and by that standard 80-100kmph for Indian highways is PRETTY GOOD.
its not that all the roads here have constant speed limits.
Im not sure about the US but in UAE the speed limit is 100 (120?) and a grace of 20 kmph.
i have friends have been booked for driving at 85 in bangalore where the limit was 80.
This is initiative was not kept in mind regarding safety but moreover as a source of revenue.

yes we indians understand the language of the stick but what if the person wielding the stick takes due advantage of its power??
Old 1st January 2010, 22:15   #33
BHPian

Driving at under 60kmph on some of the roads in Delhi is just asking for trouble. Sooner or later, someone's just going to rear end your car.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:55   #34
Nos007

Notorious work in the company which design,develop and service these interceptors all over india .

Old 23rd November 2010, 23:49   #35
BHPian

The same police sumo is spotted at least twice on weekly basis if you go to noida via DND . they will usually stand right on corner and hide the sumo on the corner of the road. our CAB guy was caught once doing 82 when he was supposed to do 40 . no issues with that but the guys manning them needs a bit of behavioral training ( nothing new , I guess ) . A police man in plain clothe was acting like if Our Cab driver have run over him and slapped our driver straightway . Once we took our mobile camera and started to record everything , they stopped and than challaned him 1400 Rs . Don;t know what;s the exact fine for over speeding for a taxi no but how far is this behavior acceptable ?
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:57   #36
BHPian

Instead of wasting time on this, they should catch reckless drivers who needlessly cut lanes, jump signals, go on the wrong way of a one-way.
IMO the worst are people who drive slowly in the right lane, forcing others to overtake them from the left.
Besides the speed limits are completely unrealistic, 50-55 kmhr, come on.
Old 24th November 2010, 03:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Instead of wasting time on this, they should catch reckless drivers who needlessly cut lanes, jump signals, go on the wrong way of a one-way.
IMO the worst are people who drive slowly in the right lane, forcing others to overtake them from the left.
Besides the speed limits are completely unrealistic, 50-55 kmhr, come on.
I complete agree to you. Delhi Traffic police guys do this during the day time only and most of the over speeding accidents happens in the night time. These people are just wants to make money by catching innocent people. They should catch those truck drivers who drink and drive in the night through the city, and no police to catch them. People who come late from party and drive fast and run over the poor people who are sleeping on the pavements.

Note from Support: HTML tags removed.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see some good technology being put to use in India!
Guess my next buy would be a infrared / laser gun detector after the GPS.
BTW - can a Sumo really 'intercept' a speeding Bimmer, or even a tuned baleno, if they decide to speed up? I doubt!
Interceptors here in US are chip tuned crown victoria/impala/chargers.

Last edited by blackasta : 24th November 2010 at 08:58.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:23   #39
BHPian

Wow, nice gadgets for indian police, here i think sumo can do the job mostly alas we dont have the best of roads so may be you can have a 2-3 kms free run before you slow down and get caught.MOSTLY. And in chennai try driving at 40 kms speed limit in morning traffic. You certainly look like a moron on the road. I DID..
Old 24th November 2010, 12:34   #40
BHPian

The Chandigarh Delhi national highway passes through Haryana for most of its length. The speed limit for the 6 lane highway is 90 Km/H.
The Haryana police stations its interceptor (a silver Versa) frequently on the NH to nab offenders. Many of my friends have been caught. Some have been nabbed thrice or more!
I have been safe though, because I prefer to drive around 70 to 80 Km/H.
That's the secret of getting a >20 Km/L on the highway from my Xeta
Old 24th November 2010, 17:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

I recently travelled through Haryana & Punjab, to HP & back & realised that the Tavera (not a cab, but actually driven by a family friend) was travelling over 100 kmph generally. We encountered quite a few speed interceptors in Haryana & Punjab, both, more so in Haryana, but, passed them peacefully. I thought we were lucky, until I queried the driver (family friend) about the same. Pat came his reply - "I got a wire tied from the body of the car that touched the road at all times... this causes the earthing (or sort of), & the speed guns read the speed as ZERO."

I was for a while, for it was hard to believe this to be true. I believe they use the leaser tech in speed interceptors, but, had to rely as I had actually witnessed his fast driving.

... will try this on my car, to see if it actually works , though I generally drive under 90 kmph & get 17-19 kmpl on highways.
Old 24th November 2010, 18:16   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I recently travelled through Haryana & Punjab, to HP & back & realised that the Tavera (not a cab, but actually driven by a family friend) was travelling over 100 kmph generally. We encountered quite a few speed interceptors in Haryana & Punjab, both, more so in Haryana, but, passed them peacefully. I thought we were lucky, until I queried the driver (family friend) about the same. Pat came his reply - "I got a wire tied from the body of the car that touched the road at all times... this causes the earthing (or sort of), & the speed guns read the speed as ZERO."

I was for a while, for it was hard to believe this to be true. I believe they use the leaser tech in speed interceptors, but, had to rely as I had actually witnessed his fast driving.

... will try this on my car, to see if it actually works , though I generally drive under 90 kmph & get 17-19 kmpl on highways.

I wonder how that works! Speed Guns use SONAR technology right, how does grounding or the lack of it affect the reading?!

I have however heard of a device which when fitted in the car shows alerts when you approach an Interceptor : intercepting the interceptor!

First saw it in NFS3!
Old 24th November 2010, 18:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Oops my bad. I meant 55mph. You are right it seems its been increased to 65-70mph Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have 100kmph speedlimit on our highways which I think is pretty good considering the madness that goes around on our roads.
US the speed varies in the free way from 55 MPH to 75 MPH, I think it depending on the vehicle density, the northern states has 55-65 MPH where as some southern states has 75 MPH,
In UK the motorways has 70 MPH, however recently they have introduced a variable speed in limits in some motor ways, speed varies depending on the traffic conditions from 40MPH-70 MPH. There are over head display in evey .5 mile which displays the speed. There is a speed camera attached to this, and it calculates an average speed using multiple speed cameras between Point A and point B. So you really have to make sure you won't cross the speed limit in any place with the stretch
Old 24th November 2010, 19:07   #44
BHPian

Follow the laws. Drive safe.

Why do we take pride in trying to beat the law? Yes, the speed limit regulations may be ancient, but rules are rules. Please follow them.
And if you feel the speed limits are ridiculous, please get them changed officially.
I think this is a good initiative undertaken by the cops. Yes, it may have some hidden agenda ( garnering revenues ) , but we should bear in mind that the main objective is of catching the over speeding vehicles, and hence should welcome the initiative.
P.S. No offence to any one, but I believe in discipline, on and off the road.
Old 24th November 2010, 19:19   #45
BHPian

Chennai Traffic Police:Gypsies to Scorpios

I was first caught riding my Unicorn at 100+ in the OMR stretch in Chennai in 2007. Then it was a Gypsy with the cop holding a handheld speed gun, shooting me neck and crop. After paying the challan I was let free. I was again caught flying at 105kmph in the Sholinganallur-Medawakkam route knowing well that this stretch had no real stretch of roads and flow of traffic.Alas I was undone by the same Gypsy based Interceptor. Of late we can see green color Scorpios in the ECR, Beach Road, Mount Road and the OMR stretches and they are too conspicuous by their presence. You can spot their dish antenna kinda humps on their roof and take evasive action, atleast half a km away.
Its all for our safety, if we really consider their effort; It jus scares the SPEED outta you

Most Viewed