Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 15:51   #16
BHPian

All this fine for adults. How about children of age 3 - 7 who do not fit into the seat belt.
How do we secure them? How safe is the lap belt given in center for children and elders?

Besides, what do you do when you travel in a bus, train or other transport where there is no seat belt?
Old 15th December 2009, 15:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Try doing some hard braking when such reluctant people are around so that they get used to the safety and comfort of the seat belt!
If done, I am termed a bad driver who still does not know how to drive. Wont work in my case. Also mom will shout at me if I brake hard and tell me we were close to a fatal accident.

When my mother sits in the front seat, she wears one, not for safety, but to avoid paying fine.

When she is sitting in rear, the seat belt will not be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IIRC, one of our fellow members had mentioned that he makes it a point to not start the vehicle till all passengers wear their belts. I am not sure this will work always, though.
It used to work initially, but people get used to it. " OK, we will not move, but we are not going to wear seat belt " are the words that come up. Also chances are that some elders will scold me if I say that they have to wear belts.

There is no way one can force other humans to wear belts. It must come from within. Making one do a task with force wont have a lasting effect.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the suggestion of hard braking applies only if you are driving and your passengers are not wearing seatbelts. Even in that case, I doubt if it will work as well as we think and sudden braking is dangerous enough as it is. What if your loved ones are doing the driving? Furthermore, what if you're not in the car? This is about how to make them want to wear them.

Edit: Aggoswami has posted similar points at exactly the same time as I did. Its not as easy as we think to make others wear seatbelts.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 15th December 2009 at 15:59.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:58   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Posted the practicle Idea Earlier, another one that is not that practicle would be to link the sterio operation to all seat belts being buckled in. (They could be buckled in even if there is no one in the seat.)
Old 15th December 2009, 15:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
2. The new Punto which my wife bought has such a screeching reminder beep of not wearing a seat belt that you cannot tolerate it for 10 secs , where in it goes on till 2:30 mins, so it became a habbit & as a habbit now I wear in Scorpio as well
In our Punto, the beeping sound is heard only once but the sign on the dash remains until driver is buckled up. If I can make that beep a continuous one until one wears seat belts, the problem is somewhat solved, but it is just a work around. The point is still 'making one want to'.

The hard braking technique worked well with my FIL though. Once he woke up from his sleep in the front seat and buckled up while saying this to himself as an excuse " cops must be catching people without seat belts around that corner..."
Old 15th December 2009, 15:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Try doing some hard braking when such reluctant people are around so that they get used to the safety and comfort of the seat belt!
+1. Few high speed maneuvers and hard braking got my stubborn aunt to wear seat belts. The sad part though is that she wears belts only in my car .
Old 15th December 2009, 16:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Those who come in my car get sacred at my high speeds and realise that wearing seat belts makes the drive very comfortable. I have 100% compliance
Old 15th December 2009, 16:08   #23
DRC
BHPian

Even I am curious to find an answer!
Everyone in my family wear the seat belt the moment we get inot the car. However, Getting my dad to wear them has been impossible. I have tried explaining, rationalizing, even threatening that I have to pay fine if anyone does not wear a seatbelt. But everything has failed. He says "you can't tie me down here!"
Regarding safety, he has a wiered arguement. He believes, it is safer to jump out of the car in case collision is imminent, and , seat belts are not helpful for such plans. I dont know if I can call it funny.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:10   #24
BHPian

@clevermax.

As some one already suggested, tell your father about the benefits of the seat belt. Tell him about the dangers it could bring for not wearing one. Tell him about the near escapes (god forbid) that you could have because of wearing the seat belt. If you keep telling him about it everytime, I am sure he will oblige and understand the importance and will get into the habit of wearing the seatbelt. Even when you are not around. I am sure your father will not turn a blind eye to something as serious as a seat belt for long. You have to give the older generation a little bit more time, and patience is virtue.

I had similar problems with my parents and parents in law and my wife too. I have been successful in making them aware of the dangers of not wearing the seatbelt. Some convincing some cajoling and some harsh steps would finally get you the results. After all its the life and happiness of your whole family that depends on this.

Once they are into the habit, the little gadgets like the beeping and the light on the dash would gently remind them, lest they forget.

All the best with the convincing.

On another note, I try and explain to my 2 year old son the necessity of in car safety, I am not sure how much he understands, though. In germany, he has to sit in the back seat, on one of the baby seats, even when travelling on the taxi. I try and bring the same practice on him even when we are in India. My opinion is that we should not pass on this ingnorance about safety to the upcoming generation. As they say discipline and civic senses start at home. Lets atleast try to imbibe this culture in out next generation and more to come. Simple things like this will make India shine like many European nations. Lets give it our little part.

PS: my son asking my dad to put on the seat belt would definitly make him do it. Try something similar if you have the required resources.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 15th December 2009 at 16:16.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:14   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
In our Punto, the beeping sound is heard only once but the sign on the dash remains until driver is buckled up. If I can make that beep a continuous one until one wears seat belts,
My Punto beeps continuously until the driver wears the seat belt, I find it very good safety feature. Only if this was available for the passenger seat belt as well. For those who find it annoying the owner's manual says the beep can be disabled at Fiat Service center.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Do some DIY to ensure that the car does not start unless the driver and the front passenger are wearing seat belts.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 15th December 2009, 16:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Do some DIY to ensure that the car does not start unless the driver and the front passenger are wearing seat belts.

Rohan,
Bangalore
You dont need a DIY for this. Just ensure that you dont start the car unless every one is buckled up.

I have seen this with Shell drivers on my business trips, in many countries. The Shell drivers dont start the car until everyone is buckled up. This is part of their safety manual and is followed diligently.

In my opinion, this practice is something that any one can inherit. It may lead to some discomfort in the beginning to the co passengers, but atleast they would all walk out of the car in one piece.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:20   #28
BHPian

I think if you can somehow convince them that wearing seatbelt makes the journey less tiresome and sitting without seatbelt is bad for back, they might understand. Sometimes we need psychological ways to make someone understand. If someone complains back-pain, remind that they were not wearing seat-belts. It has worked for me for my FIL. He always complained of back-ache after a drive and I suggested that wearing seat-belt will help as his back would be stuck to the seat all the time and he will not slump into the seat while driving. This idea worked amazingly for him and he is suggesting these things to others now.

You may try this. All the best.

Last edited by Atul-C : 15th December 2009 at 16:22.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My Punto beeps continuously until the driver wears the seat belt, I find it very good safety feature. Only if this was available for the passenger seat belt as well. For those who find it annoying the owner's manual says the beep can be disabled at Fiat Service center.

Dear Anshuman,

It can be disabled & even the volume can be adjusted using the Menu buttons on the right side of you steering wheel on the dashboard.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Make him watch this.....its the best you can do. Realisation has to come from within, it cannot be forced into someone.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 15th December 2009 at 16:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks