Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 15:02   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegdegg View Post
By the way, it really hurts me when driving with seat belts on, i think its my collar bone and my drive is Swift. None of my friends who drive with seat belts seem to have any trouble. Any tips to reduce this pain?.
Can please try adjusting the height of the seat belt to a slightly higher position? Many cars has this feature, I assume Swift will also have this. Please check.

-Pratim
Old 16th December 2009, 15:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
My wife slowly learnt to use the seat belts and when doesn't I send her to the back seat. When she knows the drive is longer than 20-30 minutes she wears the seat belt so that she can take a nap happily (a trick I have taught her when she used to complain about jerks in back seat).
What a courageous man! I am sure, many married guys here (and few unmarried guys too) would envy your courage and audacity.

My wife didn't much fancy it earlier. Incidentally, once she was using seat belt and I had to brake really hard to avoid an errant motorcyclist, who wanted to squeeze through. She appreciates usefulness of seat belts much more now.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

One important thing to note here is that many folks do not know how the seat belts get locked up temporarily in the event of a crash or a hard braking which tends to throw your body forward!

Many people still think that seat belts provide safety by that light restraining pull which is always there when you buckle up!

So, next time when you educate someone about seat belts, just demonstrate the locking up feature of the belt by

1) Slowly pulling it out (it will come out more as you pull) What you are showing is that seat belts give you some freedom of movement while still buckled up.

2) And then by quickly pulling it (it will get locked!). You can say this exact feature is going to save your life in case of a crash.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th December 2009 at 16:01.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
So, next time when you educate someone about seat belts, just demonstrate the locking up feature of the belt by
This is true. I've had people telling me that the older static seatbelts are better than the new ones because they hold you in place. The locking mechanism is one that many are unaware of.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

@basilmabraham: A very educative compilation of video and very good post.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:27   #66
Team-BHP Support

I for one never ride a motorcycle w/o helmet(no fancy modulars, but proper chin, which doesn't flip a la John Abraham) and if the ride is more than few kms, jackets & gloves are mandatory too...

I always drive with seat-belts fastened and try reasoning with others to wear them, explain them that why Govt is asking us to wear belts and spending a fortune on advertisements of safety on road with proper use of helmets & seat-belts...

also if you request and show them that you can move & if need be you promise to slow & stop the car so that they can unbuckle & feel comfy but once on the move gently request them to wear belts.. might work
Old 16th December 2009, 16:50   #67
BHPian

I agree to all that is said here.

My main problem is with the back seat people who refuse to wear a seat belt. Also, the main irritant is that the service guys usually put the rear seat SB buckles (the part into where the SB fits to lock in place) into the boot, i.e. they are no longer visible inside the car. Heck, whenever I have to sit on the back seat, I don't wear one because, I cannot find the other half of the seat belt and it is a royal pain to open the boot and push the buckle back in again.

When I do put them back in, the standard response I get is that they occupy space and hurt the backside especially when the car is loaded. Since wearing the SB on the back seat is not mandatory, we dont need it.

Another trick i have seen people use is to hold the seatbelt buckle in the hand without locking it. So cops see that the person has the seatbelt on.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:57   #68
BHPian

I had a driver who had what he presumed, a brilliant assumption for not wearing a seatbelt. If an accident occurs, you'll be able to get out of the crashed vehicle easier. And if you foresee the crash, you can jump out of the vehicle in the nick of time...

Needless to say, the said driver isn't in my family's employment anymore.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:08   #69
BHPian

You can even try to convince the person in a different way.
If it's your father, tell him that he doesn't love you enough and does not care for you.
By not wearing the seat belt, he's ready to risk his life and wants the family to suffer!
Old 16th December 2009, 17:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@basilmabraham: A very educative compilation of video and very good post.
Thanks Anshuman. Guess every little helps.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:43   #71
Team-BHP Support

I had an official trip that involved a 140 kms road trip.
Apart from the driver only I wore the seatbelt.

The passengers in the rear seats, educated, working in a top company found it foolish and a waste of time.
In their opinion only in an accident where speeds are more than 80 would a seat belt really help.

I decided to drop it as they all found it quite funny.

Only requested the guy sitting immediately behind me to wear a seatbelt.
Told him it was not for him but rather because of Newton's law and the fact that I value my life.

People are just plain stupid.

I really wished I was driving.
One hard brake at 40 and they would have shut up.

Last edited by bblost : 16th December 2009 at 17:45.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:30   #72
BHPian

A great device I found on a video on youtube.

May be we should bring this on to all the auto shows and educate people. Those who learn it the hard way normally dont remain to tell the tale.

'Arrive Alive'
Old 16th December 2009, 18:45   #73
BHPian

I think it was during year 2002 when seat belts rule was invoked/tightened in Mumbai there were street vendors selling seat belt tee shirts that look somewhat like one of our designs - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/21628.jpg (without the writing of course)

And yes, some people I know have bought them to fool the cops!

Some very intelligent people do not buy the concept of seat belts. But they do not understand the fact that some very simple things can go a very long way in protecting the interests of their loved ones.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:49   #74
BHPian

I once had a plumber accompanying me home for a bathroom job. When I asked him to wear the passenger side seat belts, he laughed it out saying "isse kuch nahi hota!"

I decided to explain to him how seatbelts work with an example. I asked him to hold the buckle end and pull it down as much as he could. He pulled the entire length of it. Now, I asked him to let it loose until it slid back into position. Then, I asked him to pull it as fast as he could. Viola! He got the message and wore the seat belts.

@Clevermax: Probably you can try this experiment too.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 16th December 2009, 19:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Dueller: Yes, that is what I demonstrated to some folks who refused/laughed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks