Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 16:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Couldnt make out, what was there in Safari and Manza. But my doubt about Nano diesel confirmed when they left, Nano threw a good amount of black smoke, and engine clutter assured me it was diesel for sure.
Nice catch there throttleking! If its black smoke,then diesel it is!
Old 16th February 2010, 17:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would imagine they would look at developing an engine similar to the 800cdi, thats available in the Mercedes Smart.
My Smart goes to 120kmph on the expressway, and thats more than enough for our roads and loads. Infact Tatas have been wise to speed limit the Nano at 105kmph
Old 1st March 2010, 01:12   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

ah! this is something I am waiting for! this should be a killer. initial reports were that the diesel will give mileage above 20! Any news on this front?
Old 1st March 2010, 07:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

When 4 cylinder CRDis give 20+ mileages (1.3 SDE, 1.4 TDCi) there is nothing great to see diesel nano giving the same. IMHO, the car should give around 30 kmpl when driven with the way it was meant to be driven.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I would imagine they would look at developing an engine similar to the 800cdi, thats available in the Mercedes Smart.
My Smart goes to 120kmph on the expressway, and thats more than enough for our roads and loads. Infact Tatas have been wise to speed limit the Nano at 105kmph
Yes except this one will be twin cylinder and the Smart is a triple. The 800cdi at one point was the most FE car sold in the world at 82 mpg.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:21   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
2 cyinder diesel engine !

No thanks ! I seriously doubt its performance.

Nano is good for a petrol or a battery operated car.

Does some one remember all the ratting issues that came with the indica diesel when it was launched.

Wonder how the nano's body would take a diesel engine ?
First people said the Nano would never climb slopes, it was a matchbox, unsafe etc etc. Well it prooved them wrong. So don't worry it will proove you wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
+1 rpmx1000

Our National 1.2 litre Multijet diesel engine sold by Fiat has actually changed an era of expensive diesel. these engines are silent efficient & really as easy to maintain as Petrol.

Ask any Swift or Indica Vista Quadra jet owner.
And why not ask the Palio, Punto & Linea owners? But you're right, this engine has made a serious change in the Diesel market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
If its black smoke,then diesel it is!
Maybe the should chop the Fiat engine into two and install in the Nano. Just like the Indica engine was chopped to produce the Ace engine.
Old 20th April 2010, 20:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

spied: Tata Nano diesel(?)

from BS motoring (I have not posted pics due to their copyright request)

pics and article on BS motoring website here:
Spied! New Tata Nano

A Tata Nano was spotted testing on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, and it could just be the Nano that you were waiting for. We believe Tata was doing efficiency runs on its new diesel Nano, as the two Nanos had data logging equipment onboard. It had been announced at the 2010 Auto Expo that Tata would collaborate with Bosch to make a common-rail diesel unit for the world's cheapest car.

What it appears is that a new heavier engine has been placed at the rear which sits lower than the regular petrol Nano. Moreover, the components of the bottom half also appear different from the regular Nano.

Bosch had announced earlier in the year that it was developing a common-rail unit for the Tata Nano. Nicknamed the Bosch CRS 1.1, they mentioned that it was for a single cylinder motor. If so, then we expect the Tata Nano engine to be in the region of 600-700 cc, producing about 30 bhp of peak power but substantially more torque than the petrol unit. We expect the gearbox unit to remain the same, except with different drive ratios than the one found on the petrol engine.

Earlier, Ratan Tata had mentioned to a news outlet that the Tata Nano diesel was to be made available "sooner than expected". Considering that production of the Nano will begin at Tata Motors new plant at Sanand in Gujarat and that production will be ramped up to meet existing demand, we expect the diesel Nano to hit showrooms before the end of 2010. Watch this space for further updates.
Old 20th April 2010, 20:52   #38
BHPian

This is a good move. We never had a diesel choice at the price point that the diesel Nano would be offering (hopefully).
Old 20th April 2010, 23:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

The nano diesel was to get a two cylinder 800cc dicor engine. (Can confirm because of my line of work). The article mentions a single cylinder unit. Not sure that is correct. (unless Tata's plans changed)

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 20th April 2010 at 23:59.
Old 21st April 2010, 01:32   #40
BHPian

There goes the neighborhood. I personally feel its a bad move. Firstly, the Nano has to redeem itself as a safe car after the fire incidents. So till they rectify that completely, they should refrain from coming out with newer models. My guess is that it will be for the export market.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:12   #41
BHPian

Single cylinder 600cc diesel???

How much more cost cutting would they want to do? How much should the single cylinder revv to take it to decent speeds and how much more heat would be produced? And how to tackle that extra heat with a rear mounted engine?

Hope I am speaking some sense!

Wish they stick to the initial plan of a twin cylinder.
Old 21st April 2010, 09:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
This is a good move. We never had a diesel choice at the price point that the diesel Nano would be offering (hopefully).
A diesel will give a new meaning to fuel economy . A diesel at Nano price and Nano type of market surely entices me. I mean it might give FE comparable to my Pulsar though I might be slightly unfair
Old 21st April 2010, 09:49   #43
BHPian

Our company cab driver was a test driver at Tata. He had tested diesel Nano himself and his reaction was "Drives and sounds like a six-seater rickshaw".

--Vikrant
Old 21st April 2010, 10:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Our company cab driver was a test driver at Tata. He had tested diesel Nano himself and his reaction was "Drives and sounds like a six-seater rickshaw".

--Vikrant
May be at the initial phase it might have sounded that way,but I am sure that Tata won't give a diesel Nano like autorickshaw.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:59   #45
BHPian

This article seems a like of loose talk and hot air. its just speculations.
I could not locate significant difference between the petrol and diesel car pictures.
and about the engine is guess it is for sure gonna be a 800cc 2 cylinder on the same lines as a 900cc 2 cylinder CRDe for mahindra maxximo.

Most Viewed