Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 18:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
I am not so sure Pratim. Each one of those so called speed breakers inside Manyata are of different height, curve and width. Above all, there is one every 50ft . One can spot scrapes (lines, thin and thick, deep and surface level) on most of those speed breakers caused by numerous 2/4 wheelers. Just pointless and thoroughly irritating everytime you enter and leave the campus.
If those speed breakers would not have been there, then no one would have driven at 10-20 KMPH inside manyata for sure.

I have seen bikers riding at 80-100 KMPH and banging into the circle, vehicles, people etc, skidding falling in front of IBM during the initial periods when manyata started operating and we (Philips & IBM) moved in

That is the reason why so many speed breakers are there

We Indians are LATON KE BHOOT, Baatonse Nahin Mante
means, we Indians will not fall in line by works but only by kicks, fines, enforcements, constant supervision etc especially on roads. This includes Yours truely (some times only).
Old 17th December 2009, 18:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I wish this comment is posted at the Worli Sealink thread as well.
You hit the nail on the head, mate.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:28   #18
BHPian

So..if i increase the tyre radius can this issue of lower GC handled? from R15 to R16
Old 17th December 2009, 19:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
So..if i increase the tyre radius can this issue of lower GC handled? from R15 to R16
This is what is done in case of SX4. One variant comes with 15 inch and other comes with 16 inch. And difference between GC is there.

But this is not very easy as for correct odometer readings, the OD of the wheel must not change. If in your current you change rims and tyres to 16 inch, then your current odo will show incorrect readings as the diameter of wheel has changed.

But this is still done by many people.
Remember than you can keep the OD same by decreasing aspect ratio. Its again not easy and you will have lose on ride quality also. Make sure that OD reamins same or is just changed slightly.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:04   #20

The wheelbase matters more than the GC

From what I have observed , its not the Ground Clearance that is the culprit but the wheel base given the way that the speedbreakers are built.

You will find that on a speedbreaker that has an approach ramp provided thats long enough for the rear wheel to climb onto the ramp while the front wheels are nearing the summit and a departure ramp that keeps the front wheels from reaching the road surface when the rear wheels are on the summit, then the car's body rarely scrapes.

I think its more to do with the way the speedbreakers themselves are built rather than the design of the cars themselves.Atleast in Karnataka we tend to build more of a wall rather than a speedbreaker. Two inches higher and we would have to go around most of them.

And why is it just Karnataka. I've never found a single speed on a highway,either in Tamil nadu or Kerala or Goa.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
ANHC sold in some countries come with R16, but lower profile hence maintaining the same GC. Only when deviating away from "official"/"factory" size, one can resolve this problem to some extent. But it will come with some cost - sometimes voiding the suspension warranty too.

Quote:
If those speed breakers would not have been there, then no one would have driven at 10-20 KMPH inside manyata for sure.

I have seen bikers riding at 80-100 KMPH and banging into the circle, vehicles, people etc, skidding falling in front of IBM during the initial periods when manyata started operating and we (Philips & IBM) moved in

That is the reason why so many speed breakers are there

means, we Indians will not fall in line by works but only by kicks, fines, enforcements, constant supervision etc especially on roads. This includes Yours truely (some times only).
While I do agree with you on the recklessness driving part, I cannot really agree the need to lay them within such short distances and each one differing in sizes, mostly too high or too narrow.

Last edited by AnonymousCoward : 17th December 2009 at 20:28.
Old 18th December 2009, 00:18   #22
BHPian

The humps do not seem to follow any specific pattern in terms of height and width. Lots of cars that are low will have a problem negotiating the speed breakers. And in addition to the four cars mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I would name the Lancer as well.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
While 170mm is a paper spec, the Design of the car and softer rear suspension causes Civic to scrape more than others. The Newer facelifted Civic has got a stiffer rear suspension to sort out this problem.

Even the Swift comes with a GC of 170mm, its never scrapes, One the other end Punto with GC of 171mm Scrapes at front at times, Reason: Longer front overhang.
This topic scared the hell out of me and kicked me into dilemma again.I have made my mind to buy the new honda civic after a 2 month search.Honda guy told me that GC problem,scrapping problem got rectified in the new version and it's good for me to buy.All of my friends are tall and heavy(extra heavy).Should I buy it or not ? And roads at my place are worst of the worst,I am going to book my car on Jan 2nd week.Hope I get a positive answer on this,I can't go for any other car now.
Old 18th December 2009, 18:07   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The earlier Civic used to scrape not because of its 170 mm of ground clearance, but due to the soft rear suspension. Two passengers at the rear is enough for it to spring real low. I've experienced the face-lift first hand, and it sure doesn't scrape over large speedbreakers.

I end up pleasantly surprised with my C220. Not once has the underbelly scraped. Merc did a good job with the "Indianisation"!
Old 19th December 2009, 11:34   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The earlier Civic used to scrape not because of its 170 mm of ground clearance, but due to the soft rear suspension. Two passengers at the rear is enough for it to spring real low. I've experienced the face-lift first hand, and it sure doesn't scrape over large speedbreakers.

I end up pleasantly surprised with my C220. Not once has the underbelly scraped. Merc did a good job with the "Indianisation"!

As I've mentioned earlier, my '06 Civic scrapes pretty much everything when the whole family is in the car. The soft suspension setting is the culprit and the whole car's ride height drops when laden due to soft springs despite it being 170mm off the ground on paper.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

So, can this new setting can be made in old civic..

if not..is there anyother wat out of this issue.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:44   #27

I just came across this information and I thought I'll share it with you.

Honda seems to have released the ANHC in Australia also with the same set of features and specifications. While Honda India claims that the car has a ground clearance of 160mm, Honda Australia says that the car has a ground clearance of 150mm (non-load) and 110mm (full load). If the information provided by the later would hold true, I guess it's the reality all our ANHC-bhpians are experiencing it now on our Indian roads.

C220 on the other hand has a ground clearance of 130mm, if I am not wrong. I also assume that this must be the minimum ground clearance value (full load) and that's the reason GTO would not have experienced scraping!
Old 28th January 2010, 23:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

The GC is relative. the manufacturer quotes the GC of a unladen car to be 160 or 170mm. but actually when you get inside it does come down to 150-160 and when on full load comes to 130-140.

Ideally manufacturers must not quote the relative GC but actual GC on a Average load that a car is bound to drive with ( like with 4 people for hatchbacks and 5 people for sedans etc etc)

Quote:
Well, I feel that problem is with the way these humps are created. There is absolutely no standard whatsoever that is followed in India. And that according to me is the main reason for scraping the bottoms of all cars
i agree to this. completely with my eyes closed.

You guys must come to a road near my house . these guys have created a speed breaker of a huge size that ill not be surprised even if it scraps a bus or a lorry going on it. it is so huge/ mountain like.

Ideally they should be named as "car breakers" rather than speed breakers

Either there must be a system to standardise the height of the car breakers or the manufacturers must give cars with
Quote:
height adjustable suspension system to change the ride height according to road conditions and driving without affecting ride quality
which comes in mercedes-benz buses

Last edited by geeash : 29th January 2010 at 00:05.

Most Viewed