Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 12:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing Sid. I was looking forward to this . This Swift will be launched in US. So they had to keep it spacious. Hopefully better rear space, boot . Bring it on Maruti!
Old 16th March 2009, 12:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
sidindica: are you sure that this car is going to be India specific? Seems to be a spy shot taken abroad. Is this relevant in the Indian car scene?
spy shots are taken in arctic circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Nice spotting, sidindica! This car does look a bit bigger than the current gen Swift.

I doubt if this would be a Maruti Swift for another 3-4 years to come. Before Maruti introduces an all new Swift, they will have to offer at least 3 "new" versions with face-lifted grilles, hubcaps and stickers. Then one or two "limited editions" will follow. After that, another 3 years or so down the line, we will have the all-new Swift.

Also, this Swift seems to have 16" alloys. That will definitely not happen in India.

I hope and pray I'm totally wrong here, and that this car will actually be available in India in mid 2010.
the current swift sold in India is the same as sold around the world, w.r.t. exterior and interior design and chassis, only the engine and gearbox are different in petrol.
remember, the swift was launched in India in may 2005, only after 4 months of international launch following its debut in paris motor show in september 2004 and maruti engineers worked together with suzuki simultaneously before launch of suzuki's strategic global model.

so, India will also get this version simultaneously when the 2nd generation swift (spied in this article) will be unveiled at fall 2010. A launch of feb-march 2011 seems likely since india is a very important for suzuki comprising of the bulk of swift sales.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

looks like a elder sis from the family like Hyundai i10 and now i20,as hydra said it will take atleast 3+years to launch this in India.
good find Sid hope to see more of this from you
Old 16th March 2009, 13:00   #19
BANNED

It's not bigger than current Swift. Everything looks similar to the current Swift. Length and overall size also seems similar to current Swift.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:09   #20

Similar shape bigger size.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:25   #21
TOR
BHPian

Find the pictures a bit intriguing!

-as most have noticed nothing much have changed(except for the wheelbase and the light design).

-but these two aspects are the one that are not covered in the shots!(why?).

-the side repeaters are also the same as on the current swift.

Also if one observe carefully the rear lights and the front lights are have only a change in the lenses and the design parse of the lights(especially the rear) seems to be the same as the current swift.

Could this be a drivetrain mule?
Old 16th March 2009, 13:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
sidindica: are you sure that this car is going to be India specific? Seems to be a spy shot taken abroad. Is this relevant in the Indian car scene?
Yes, this car will be coming to India. As with the present generation, Swift will also be sold in European markets, so testing in international locations.
Suzuki made a big mistake by not taking the present Swift to US. US wanted it and suzuki was damn late in this. They admitted to their mistake also and assured that next time this wont happen. This new generation Swift is expected to be made available in US also, hence there will not be any complain of space from India atleast.

The car is also expected to be based on all new platform which like the present one will give rise to some other cars also. Driving entertainment or handling like the present generation will be on focus.

Basically this is evolution rather than revolution, but expect it to be better than present swift. And nothing wrong in keeping the shape if people like it. If Fiat-Suzuki relations are not strained beyond an extent, I expect this car to carry in newer generation Diesels from Fiat.
This car is expected to hit the roads in around mid-2010.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Nice spotting, sidindica! This car does look a bit bigger than the current gen Swift.

I doubt if this would be a Maruti Swift for another 3-4 years to come. Before Maruti introduces an all new Swift, they will have to offer at least 3 "new" versions with face-lifted grilles, hubcaps and stickers. Then one or two "limited editions" will follow. After that, another 3 years or so down the line, we will have the all-new Swift.

Also, this Swift seems to have 16" alloys. That will definitely not happen in India.

I hope and pray I'm totally wrong here, and that this car will actually be available in India in mid 2010.

Was thinking the same thing. When was the last time Maruti launched a new generation within 5 years ?
Old 16th March 2009, 15:03   #24
BHPian

Suzuki is going the i20 way. i wont be surprised to see more legroom and increased wheel base.

hope they don't kill the beauty and sportiness in the process.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:16   #25
gaurav.28ch

I really hope that build quality get a facelift and something is done about rattles that all Maruti products have.

Old 16th March 2009, 15:18   #26
BHPian

Maruti have come with many different models within 5 years of time,in which the swift was the big market hit.
Well this will be their next hit,probabably if there is anything worth the wait!!
Old 16th March 2009, 16:45   #27
VKJ
BHPian

Where on earth is this car test driven on ;-) are they planning to introduce AWD option on swift?
Old 16th March 2009, 17:35   #28
HKP
BHPian

Looks like SX4 hatch in size and appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Suzuki made a big mistake by not taking the present Swift to US. US wanted it and suzuki was damn late in this. They admitted to their mistake also and assured that next time this wont happen. This new generation Swift is expected to be made available in US also, hence there will not be any complain of space from India atleast.
You seem to know a lot of details. I am just eager to see how they are going to position it along with SX4 hatchback which is sold as a fun to ride value for money small car here in US.

No offence meant to all the experts here, but when I saw the spyshots by Sid, it just looked similar to the SX4 hatch to me, at least sizewise.

\\hkp
Attached Thumbnails
Spyshots: 2010-2011 Maruti Suzuki Swift 2. EDIT: More pics on pg 8 & pg 16!-sx4_15g.jpg  

Last edited by HKP : 16th March 2009 at 17:38. Reason: spelling
Old 16th March 2009, 18:03   #29

its still looks the same, may be just a little change in the front grill and different pacing of badges... nothing remarkable!
Old 16th March 2009, 19:25   #30
BHPian

Nice find man, only thing is that with Suzuki I hate to get my hopes up(like with the swift sport). I guess this ones a wait and watch. Btw, isn't it a bit early to test a car being launched 2 years from now?

ps. I hope the back leg space has improved. For drivers like me, who need to push the seat almost all the way back(long legs!), its torture for the person at the back
Closed Thread

Most Viewed