Team-BHP - inspired the nano? or gave inspiration to it?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   inspired the nano? or gave inspiration to it? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/71975-inspired-nano-gave-inspiration.html)

hi!

just came across this car in a write up in a web mag... it has been selling in japan since 2006 with a 650cc 3 cylinder rear engine for 1900 pounds.. approx Rs. 160,000/-

manish.

According to Wikipedia this car sells for around 9000 pounds in UK. Not 1900 pounds as mentioned by you. I dont think this car was used as a inspiration for nano, Mitsubishi might have a similar car but they cannot match Nano pricing.

Source: Mitsubishi i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This car was showcased in the last Auto-Expo. Here is a picture i took:

inspired the nano? or gave inspiration to it?-i.jpg

The basic shape does look similar to the Nano but this car seems to be build to a much higher quality than the Nano. Are you sure the car costs only 1900 pounds? The second image says "roughly 1900 pound car". That is referring to its weight, not its price

The front hood and glass have resemblance, for sure... can't say a copy though. But looks like the rear engine design is a first in this Mitsubishi for a small car since the 60's.

And I think there ends all resemblances, the Mitsu seems to be a different beast all together!

Hahaha.....
Montyguru, no idea what ure high on, but the Mitsu i for £1600 is a good one...hahaha

That overpriced minicar starts at £9000+ and there are plenty of better options in the UK market for that price. Agreed that they do look a bit similar but dont think Tata drew inspiration from it and thank God for that, or we should've ended up with an overpriced hatchback at 7-8 lacs, we already have a Jazz.

I think the Europa when launched might be a far better alternative.

Heres a review of the 'i'
Mitsubishi i car reviews & latest news from the experts at Autocar

I think this has been there much before Nano was revealed.
Much better detailing and fit and finish then Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 1642343)
Much better detailing and fit and finish then Nano.

+ much "better" price.

in Australia the i-miev is a launch candidate for 2010; price guess? nearly A$30,000.

Edited: removed some Wikipedia reference.

This is even used as a cop car in the UK.lol

While there was an obvious misundestanding that had some of us confusing the weight and the price, the design is rather Nano-ish. Big body, max space utilization and relatively small wheels.

yes the person who started this thread is right,nano has taken some inspiration from this Mitsubishi. But the Build Quality on this is FAAAR better than the nano.

This car would actually do well in India if priced right! It has got all the right qualities to make it a success here! It's small, spacious, good looking, peppy.. What's Mitsubishi waiting for?

P.S. And if the (ugly, small, cramped) Reva, at 5 lakhs odd, can sell here.. this one should sell like hot cakes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 1642484)
This car would actually do well in India if priced right! It has got all the right qualities to make it a success here! It's small, spacious, good looking, peppy.. What's Mitsubishi waiting for?

P.S. And if the (ugly, small, cramped) Reva, at 5 lakhs odd, can sell here.. this one should sell like hot cakes!

well yes it looks good and would do good as well if brought here but main thing here is pricing and mitsubishi doesnt seem intrested as well.

IMO if at all Nano has inspired from something then it will be Daihatsu Midget II (1993). Rear engine, spare wheel mounted in front and a 660cc engine. It was launched as truck and a cargo.

Apart from the front design and rear engine, i-MiEV has nothing which we can say is similar to Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacho (Post 1642259)
The basic shape does look similar to the Nano but this car seems to be build to a much higher quality than the Nano. Are you sure the car costs only 1900 pounds? The second image says "roughly 1900 pound car". That is referring to its weight, not its price

agree: i guess i took the weight for the price!!

compairing it with REVA would be more suitable then with NANO !