Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:13   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which are India's safest cars?

Note from Moderator: Please continue the ABS discussion in the ABS discussion thread. Please keep the discussion in this thread limited to Safest Cars in India. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:43   #137
BHPian

There are no car in India is safest! This is because, the drivers in India are Maniacs (Includes everyone, in different situations), and we drive according to rule which we invent on the fly!
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:50   #138
BHPian

For me,it has to be the Fiat cars in India.Even though I dont own one,I think the Fiat has solid build quality and hence a safe bet than the Marutis(Mind you,I own a Maruti as well)
Old 13th January 2012, 12:02   #139
BHPian

Mercs and Skodas. IMHO.

Have seen a car pile up in bangalore when the leading tata indicab braked suddenly, the skoda driven by a old man went right up its back.. and then two others cars went into the skoda. The skoda went off with minor scratches and a miniscule dent while the indicas back was totalled and the fiat that rammed into the rear of the skoda had a bent bonnet and loads of fluid leaking from the engine compartment. I think the old man had a hearty laugh as he drove away.
Old 27th August 2014, 19:41   #140
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread because I think this is widely discussed these days.
To me, the safest cars (and I include MUVs/SUVs) sub 10 lacs should be the Vento, the i20 and the Ecosport in the sedan/hatch/SUV category - top trims of course - going by reviews and equipment levels.
Old 27th August 2014, 22:51   #141
Team-BHP Support

Which are India's safest cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Bumping up an old thread because I think this is widely discussed these days.
To me, the safest cars (and I include MUVs/SUVs) sub 10 lacs should be the Vento, the i20 and the Ecosport in the sedan/hatch/SUV category - top trims of course - going by reviews and equipment levels.
i20 does not get 6 airbags anymore. And the European versions are not made in India anymore either! I wouldn't really count it anymore as 'safer than the rest'.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 19:30   #142
BHPian

Under ten lacs, the safest car to me at least has to be the Polo since it's the only ones that been tested! With that being said, I do have some faith in Fiat and Ford in this regard.
Old 30th October 2015, 19:58   #143
BHPian

Punto and the sedan
Polo and the sedan
Old 30th October 2015, 20:15   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Under ten lacs, the safest car to me at least has to be the Polo since it's the only ones that been tested! With that being said, I do have some faith in Fiat and Ford in this regard.
The Figo was also tested and it fared as good as the Polo. Though Ford cuts down a few elements of the chassis compared to the export variants, the car has performed on par with the Polo which means that VW is also making certain changes to its cars in India to make them cheaper but less safer.
Old 30th October 2015, 21:01   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The Figo was also tested and it fared as good as the Polo. Though Ford cuts down a few elements of the chassis compared to the export variants, the car has performed on par with the Polo which means that VW is also making certain changes to its cars in India to make them cheaper but less safer.
That was very surprising if you consider that figo was based on an ancient platform( Ikon I think).
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 21:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
That was very surprising if you consider that figo was based on an ancient platform( Ikon I think).
The Figo and the Ikon platforms are different. The Figo is based on the fourth gen Fiesta sold from 1994-2002 where as the Figo was based on the fifth gen Fiesta sold from 2002-2008.

But still the chassis is ancient and hence why a newer chassis like Swift failing tests is intentional cost cutting . Basically with Maruti and Hyundai , there is a lack of will to make safe cars.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 21:20   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The Figo and the Ikon platforms are different. The Figo is based on the fourth gen Fiesta sold from 1994-2002 where as the Figo was based on the fifth gen Fiesta sold from 2002-2008.

But still the chassis is ancient and hence why a newer chassis like Swift failing tests is intentional cost cutting . Basically with Maruti and Hyundai , there is a lack of will to make safe cars.
Why would they make safe cars if safety doesn't sell? I'm not saying that they are right, they are quite wrong morally but its us who never bothered about safety. Thanks to the Europeans for introducing cars here, we would have been stuck with fuel efficiency oriented tin boxes.
Old 30th October 2015, 21:29   #148
BHPian

Cars from Ford, Skoda, VW and Fiat are relatively safer in sub 12 lakhs segment. This belief is based solely on evaluating the damage caused to the car occupants and the car after an accident of an equal intensity. Even the Mahindras and the Tatas imbibe more confidence than the select few chartbuster sales masters.
Honda and Hyundai care as much as Maruti for the occupants safety, nowadays. God save the mileage hunters!
I delightfully share that few companies selling mass market cars in India have Concience!
Old 30th October 2015, 21:31   #149
BHPian

The 2014 Honda City has the highest safety rating of any car in ASEAN NCAP crash tests. This has been discussed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ata-vista.html
Old 30th October 2015, 21:41   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
The 2014 Honda City has the highest safety rating of any car in ASEAN NCAP crash tests. This has been discussed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ata-vista.html
That doesn't mean the Indian Honda City is safe. The Indian Honda City has only 2 airbags and has numerous structural components deleted in the name of cost cutting. I would say its among the unsafe cars given how much damage to passengers have suffered in crashes of comparable intensity in which the Euro/Yank cars have been safe and protected the passengers.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed