Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 01:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good point about the pedestrian protection issue.

The i20 (like you mentioned) resorts to cheap marketing (though effective) to put it across as an NCAP 5 car, when only the 1.2 version has that as as option. The Punto, too could claim the same, but I am glad to see that it hasn't been marketed like that.

In a purely unscientific note, I have seen(witnessed) a Grande Punto almost fly off a flyover exit, roll over on it's roof before landing on it's wheels and the people traveling in it, a grandfather (ex-navy officer) and his grandson, didn't have a single scratch on them. Both were belted in, and this was a Dynamic version (no airbags), and I was amazed to see the structural integrity of the car. They bought a new Punto, the next day, in a different colour. I mentioned this story in another thread too, can't remember which one though, and decided to share it again.

A teambhpian in a Flamenco Red Linea, was involved in a horrific accident. Everyone in the car survived. He too bought another Linea. SidIndica's new Punto was involved in a crash, a bad one by all accounts, all people survived.

Of course, this is unscientific, but somehow to me it seems that the feeling of robustness that these Fiats give, actually translates to their build. making them among the safest cars in India in their price range.

I expect the Polo to be the same.
Old 19th April 2010, 08:01   #47
BHPian

i20 is advertised to have 6 airbags and hence makes for one of the safest cars around, but a rigid body with solid European build is a safety feature of its own. IMO cars like polo, punto,linea,fabia heck even the fiesta for that matter will be marginally safer cars than their Japanese or Korean counterparts offering same number of airbags and abs owing to a thicker and heavier sheet of metal used in constructing them.
Old 19th April 2010, 08:36   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that its a feel-good factor as far as safety goes, with Euro cars, compared to their tinnier Japanese counterparts.
Old 19th April 2010, 08:56   #49
BHPian

Note: Another safety thread exists for additional information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-features.html

Also, I am sad that Hyundai does not offer the six-airbag, Asta-O trim level for the diesel i20 anymore. But at least they still offer it with the 1.2 petrol engine, making it, arguably, the safest car under ten lakhs.

Last edited by Dose : 19th April 2010 at 08:57.
Old 19th April 2010, 08:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
i20 is advertised to have 6 airbags and hence makes for one of the safest cars around, but a rigid body with solid European build is a safety feature of its own. IMO cars like polo, punto,linea,fabia heck even the fiesta for that matter will be marginally safer cars than their Japanese or Korean counterparts offering same number of airbags and abs owing to a thicker and heavier sheet of metal used in constructing them.
Vehicle Safety in 21st century means much more than constructing your entire car with the most rigid body and thick metal. Google crumple zone,impact beams,Collapsible steering etc
Old 19th April 2010, 10:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
What about Safer car in hands of a Safe driver? Do you mean to say if someone drives safely he does not a safer car?

Please share the video with us. AFAIK no manufacturer does crash testing at 120kph, at such speeds the most likely cause of death would be sudden deceleration causing the organs to get damaged even if the there is not intrusion in the cabin.
All I meant is that more than the car being safer, it is imperative that the driver drives safely. Never once did I mean that the car should not be safer. I guess I have clarified that point amply in the post itself with the tank example.

I cannot share the video as I do not possess the same. I had viewed it in TA-MO factory at Pune during a field trip from college. There were tests carried out at various speeds right from 50 to max being 120. I can vouch for that speed as there was a camera angle focussed on speedometer.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

i20 vs Punto? I'd still say the i20 is safer if you buy the 1.2 with the option pack. Those extra airbags should go a long way. But for the two airbag versions, I'm not so sure which one would win.
Old 20th April 2010, 00:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
How about a Fiat Grande Punto??

i20 comes with curtain airbags and other features to reduce the impact. These features are not on Punto
Old 20th April 2010, 00:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
p.s IMO we should talk more about such things at Team-bhp to educate others and at the same time get educated (its not that we dont , but we dont do much either) rather than the 0-100 kms in ??? No offence meant though ...
Because for most people, education means learning math and science, yet they follow caste system and other bad practices. Similarly, for them safety is about protecting their car from dent/scratches but not about saving the poor pedestrian.

Education, it has long way to go my friend....
Old 20th April 2010, 14:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Because for most people, education means learning math and science, yet they follow caste system and other bad practices. Similarly, for them safety is about protecting their car from dent/scratches but not about saving the poor pedestrian.

Education, it has long way to go my friend....
Very well said.

While many think of ABS and airbags as the ultimate safety gadgets, the structural design with energy absorbing crumble zones and impact beams is more important. Neither manufacturer talks about them nor are we interested.

In case of a head on collision, if the engine bay pushes into the cabin, no air bag can be of any help. Air bags are restraining systems like seat belts and prevent internal/external injuries due to sudden deceleration.

Similarly ABS doesn't reduce the braking distance and it doesn't make the brakes more effective. It will avoid wheel locking and gives you better control during emergency braking. It is very effective in slippery road conditions (snow) but on a good dry road with a good set of tyres, the extra saftey it offers is marginal.

The car can only be as safe as the driver
Old 20th April 2010, 15:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Most of the TATA cars are safe i guess. Build solidly. Also Fiat cars. Build solidly. I guess thats the common point why they are working together
Old 21st April 2010, 12:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Most of the TATA cars are safe i guess. Build solidly. Also Fiat cars. Build solidly. I guess thats the common point why they are working together
I think this is true in general of most European cars. They are pretty safe and solid. Somehow I don't get the same feeling when seated in a Korean car. I keep feeling that to make the car light and more FE, they might be compromising on safety.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:04   #58
BHPian

After reading the posts, I feel that many of the readers doesn't know the basic concepts of safety. A safe car, has crumple zones and in the event of a collision, they are designed to "crumple" and absorb the impact force and not pass it on to the body of the occupant. If a car is made of rigid steel, without an energy absorbing region, at the moment of impact, the whole energy is passed directly in to the body of the occupant and the consequences will be fatal (due to the G-forces acting on the body). So, if you have a so called "solid" car, it'll save the car, but not you. (by solid, I mean a shell made of rigid steel which is not capable of distributing the impact force evenly)
Old 21st April 2010, 15:57   #59
BHPian

I believe that the most important safety gadget is the driver's brain and alertness.Crumble zones will not protect occupants in many scenarios we see in India
1)Collision with trucks where the truck rides over the bonnet and breaks the a pillar and leading to cave in.
2)Collison with a truck from behind or from the side.
3)Medians which suddenly appear out of nowhere.
These are a few scenarios i could think of but there could be more.
A crumble zone will normally protect in the case of a straight crash into another car of same or lower ground clearance.This is where structural stability matters.In India i would personally prefer being in a structurally stable vehicle than a tin box with air bags.Also N.C.A.P ratings are not an indicator of absolute safety.Hence a 5 Star rated car from a lower category may not be as safe as a 4 star rated car from a higher one.Instead of N.C.A.P ratings we should have our own Safety rating agency which tests for hazards prevailing in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
After reading the posts, I feel that many of the readers doesn't know the basic concepts of safety. A safe car, has crumple zones and in the event of a collision, they are designed to "crumple" and absorb the impact force and not pass it on to the body of the occupant. If a car is made of rigid steel, without an energy absorbing region, at the moment of impact, the whole energy is passed directly in to the body of the occupant and the consequences will be fatal (due to the G-forces acting on the body). So, if you have a so called "solid" car, it'll save the car, but not you. (by solid, I mean a shell made of rigid steel which is not capable of distributing the impact force evenly)
Old 21st April 2010, 22:25   #60
BHPian

Audi A4 and A6
Volvo XC90
Volkswagen Passat GLX
Honda CR-V EX
Toyota Highlander

These have been rated as the best in their class since last 3 yrs
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks