Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:26   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
I believe that the most important safety gadget is the driver's brain and alertness.Crumble zones will not protect occupants in many scenarios we see in India
1)Collision with trucks where the truck rides over the bonnet and breaks the a pillar and leading to cave in.
That is the specific reason why the government introduced the law to have under-run protection beams. But in India, those are the first things which are removed as soon as the truck is out of the dealership
But in an accident like the one mentioned above, almost no vehicle can save you. Remember the planned accident in Kerala? A Safari was hit by a 1210SE and all 3 people in the Safari were killed on the spot, even though Safari stands so tall.

Quote:
2)Collison with a truck from behind or from the side.
3)Medians which suddenly appear out of nowhere.
In these situations, the crumple zones, airbags and head rests can actually help you. The NCAP testing is not done by just colliding the vehicle head on. It's tested from all the sides and the structural integrity of the cabin (passenger compartment) is tested. Minimal intrusion and damage to the cabin is the key here.

Quote:
These are a few scenarios i could think of but there could be more.
A crumble zone will normally protect in the case of a straight crash into another car of same or lower ground clearance.This is where structural stability matters.In India i would personally prefer being in a structurally stable vehicle than a tin box with air bags.Also N.C.A.P ratings are not an indicator of absolute safety.Hence a 5 Star rated car from a lower category may not be as safe as a 4 star rated car from a higher one.Instead of N.C.A.P ratings we should have our own Safety rating agency which tests for hazards prevailing in our country.
When you read a NCAP rating, you should not just read the stars. There are associated information along with the star rating.
eg: ANCAP :: Vehicle Crash Report (ANCP rating for the ANHC)
Quoted from the site:
"The passenger compartment held its shape well. There was a slight risk of serious chest and leg injury for the driver and passenger.
The vehicle scored 15.02 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. There was a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver.
"
"The edge of the centre console was a potential source of injury to the passenger's right knee.
"
"Although head-protecting side curtains are standard the City was not eligible for a pole impact test because it did not meet ANCAP's requirements for a 5-star rating."

So, it's not mere numbers!
Old 13th May 2010, 11:19   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
i20 comes with curtain airbags and other features to reduce the impact. These features are not on Punto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
Also, I am sad that Hyundai does not offer the six-airbag, Asta-O trim level for the diesel i20 anymore. But at least they still offer it with the 1.2 petrol engine, making it, arguably, the safest car under ten lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
i20 is advertised to have 6 airbags and hence makes for one of the safest cars around, but a rigid body with solid .
I beg to differ on views regarding i20, agreed it got more airbags than any car in its category; discs on all four wheels; is well planted; ABS and all.

But I read the same in a thread by Smartcat, guess the thread is called Small car buyer guide which mentions stopping distance of cars when braked at 100kmph. The list is topped by A-Star which stops within 40.8 mts of breaking but then its a petrol car, lesser weight quicker stopping; i20 petrol does good in this stopping at 43.02mts.

But for the i20 diesel if you compare with other diesel models Figo(47.9mts),punto(49..6mts),Fabia(51mts),Ritz(54 mts),Swift(56.6mts) with all the added features i20 (65.36mts)fares miserably. Agreed i20's safety features looks good on paper, but then if it takes some 18mts longer to stop than the segment best its a matter of concern. Then 6 airbags, ABS and all are requirements and not not just features.

You can get the full details on Smartcats thread @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eckoner-5.html
Old 13th May 2010, 13:31   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover View Post
these one incidents dont matter ...what
Scorpio is one car which has no crash worthiness ...there was no crash testing done during the development of the car ...
Is a company allowed to even do something like that!!?

IMO there have to be tests done for all scenarios that a vehicle will be put through in stock condition
Old 5th September 2010, 19:02   #64
BHPian

Safest sub 10 lakh car

Hi Mods,
I am not sure if this tread exists, in case if it does, please delete this one.
I would like T-Bhpians to post their views on safest car on indian roads but with following things in mind:
1) This query is for all Noveu Richy (does it points to IT people ) guys who have just learned driving or have money but not sure which car to purchase that is safe (at least from car's perspective).
2) Car should be under 10Lakhs as this is where maximum purchase happens. Also high end cars have anyways all features but one should have money to own and maintain them.
3) The views should be on both hatchback and Sedans.
4) The car should be good looking, should have some bells and whistles, is fun to drive and as well as has good safety features. (no amby's here).
5) Car should have good manners on both city and highway.
6) They should not cost a bomb to repair for their safety service (at least not for small damages).

This is requested so that people who are looking for new cars but consider safety first, get an honest opinion about which cars can be their life savers.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:14   #65
BHPian

Only one car can match at least some of your criteria . That is 'SAFARI' yes tata safari . It is fun to drive , fuel efficient , costs just over 8 lakhs for base version. Sorry to tell that it has got poor after sales back up .
Old 5th September 2010, 19:28   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Only one car can match at least some of your criteria . That is 'SAFARI' yes tata safari . It is fun to drive , fuel efficient , costs just over 8 lakhs for base version. Sorry to tell that it has got poor after sales back up .
I agree but would it be good for guys who are in "new to driving" skillset?
Old 5th September 2010, 19:31   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I would vote for the Ford Fiesta, Optra Magnum and the Linea
Old 5th September 2010, 19:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 probably. IIRC, its the only one with six airbags in your price range.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:05   #69
BHPian

Sedan- Ford Fiesta 1.6 S, ANHC, VW Vento and soon to be launched Fiat Linea (T-Jet).

Hatchback - Honda Jazz, VW Polo 1.6, Hyundia i20 CRDi
Old 5th September 2010, 20:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hyundai i20 probably. IIRC, its the only one with six airbags in your price range.
I second that. i20 in the hatches. Got 6 airbags, is stylish & not expensive to maintain.

In the sedans, I'd put my weight behind the Linea. Its stylish (and how!!), and has got all that high tensile steel that makes it heavy but also safe. And Fiat spare parts costs have now come down and are at par with others.

That said, I would just like to add that "safest car" is probably not the right way of going about purchasing a car. Even Punto with its 2 airbags has got Euro NCAP 5 rating (that's because most fatal collisions are head-on and 2 airbags, therefore, are deemed sufficient). Look at the features, price, A.S.S. and most importantly, the car that you feel suits your personality and that'll please you when you look at it every morning.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:05   #71
BHPian

i20 is a hatch my friend. also just because it has the max number of airbags doesnt mean it is the safest. hyundais are know for bad handling.also the thickness of metal matters in cars. IMO any european built car with airbags and abs should do the job. Linea and Vento would be it. linea will definately be cheaper to run and maintain while the vento has a better engine set, both petrol and diesel.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
i dont know about hyundai being safest , i have seen two i20's accidents , quite brutal , and the airbags didnt pop out!! both were 1.2 astas.
no offence hyundai owners , i myself own a hyundai. ;-)
Old 5th September 2010, 20:20   #73
BHPian

Airbags didn't pop out even in my friend's i20. I would think on paper it would be the i20 though - with 6 airbags and ABS. Even the Tata cars do look solid as opposed to the Suzukis.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:20   #74

@ Anand : only new or used would do, then you have a whole list of cars to choose from
Old 5th September 2010, 20:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
i dont know about hyundai being safest , i have seen two i20's accidents , quite brutal , and the airbags didnt pop out!! both were 1.2 astas.
This may happen in any car. Certain types of impacts do not activate the airbags. For instance, hitting a pole in most cars may not activate the airbag and almost all user manuals admit to this.

I might also add that being heavy or having that European thud doesn't necessarily mean safer. This rather old discussion has some valid points.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed