Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 22:34   #91
BHPian

I'd go for the Fiestas, VW Ventos and probably Lineas as well for Sedan, Swift, Polo, Punto for hatchs... (petrol or diesel is left to the buyer's likes and usage)
Old 5th September 2010, 23:05   #92
BHPian

Anandg : SX4 - take a TD and you will feel the solidity - high GC / high seating position, Airbags, ABS and road presence make you feel secure. Plus it is easy on your wallet and with an excellent service support.
Old 6th September 2010, 08:19   #93
BHPian

One doubt
Is it just the tank like build that determines safety?

Japaneese and Korean cars rely on crumple zones in their feather-light cars for addressing safety issues. Finally its the percentage of impact that is transmitted to the occupants that determines how safe the car is.

I feel any car with airbags and ABS in this category(sub-ten laks) is equally safe, because there is no other tech in these cars like the merc or beemer to keep the occupants safe.

I feel the i20 full option or swift zxi is equally safe as a fabia or a linea/punto.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:41   #94
BANNED

New Car - i20, the top end with 6 airbags etc.

Used Car - An Octavia/Laura or an Optra Magnum top end.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:09   #95
BHPian

Sedans : Linea
Hatches : Punto
Small hatch : Spark

Having 6 airbags does make one feel safe, but that is not the deciding factor for a car's safety. I would rather base a car's safety on following points not in order of precedence.

1. ABS
2. Braking Distance.
3. Build quality (steel thickness etc)
4. Airbag
5. Drivability / Steering feedback.

Rgds
Vikrant
Old 6th September 2010, 11:36   #96
mkh
Senior - BHPian

This query is to find the "ideal" car. The ones which are the safest are
Hatch: FABIA, Jazz, Punto
Sedan: Linea and ANHC
Vento is just new and the entry level does not have airbags or ABS.
However, the cost of spares and handling etc are not the best for Fabia and support for linea is questionable.
Even the Punto is very well built but again the above.
Overall no car fits the entire bill as mentioned, if you want to buy a safe car, you must be willing to pay for sales and maybe give up a few other things.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:34   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Swift is a great product in itself.

But, then you can't compare a Swift with Punto or i20. Swift starts rattling after a few Ks as reported everywhere and the ride quality/comfort offered by Punto and i20 is better when compared to Swift.
Guess I lucked out then. Not a rattle on my baby (touch wood!) In fact my friend who has a 2007 Vxi (about 18 months newer than mine) was complaining that his car is noisy as hell.
Old 6th September 2010, 15:27   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hyundai i20 probably. IIRC, its the only one with six airbags in your price range.
but I am not sure if this variant is still available in India anymore.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
but I am not sure if this variant is still available in India anymore.
It is. But only for petrol I think. Or only for diesel. Not for both.
Old 6th September 2010, 18:25   #100
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. Let some more come in.
My query was more for a guy who is bit averse in taking risks as this would be his first car (so skoda goes bit down the list). yes i20 makes a strong point but some people here raise questions on its handling part. Punto too has its issues with service as of now along with city manners. Swift or the rattle bug makes maruti guys more happy than the ones who site inside but it still rings some bells as an overall product.
Guys let me know is swift zxi better or vdi with abs?
Also once you mention the car do mention the onroad price as it becomes second major deciding factor.
Old 6th September 2010, 18:33   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
It is. But only for petrol I think. Or only for diesel. Not for both.
i20 1.2Asta(O). Only for Petrol. Not for diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Guess I lucked out then. Not a rattle on my baby (touch wood!) In fact my friend who has a 2007 Vxi (about 18 months newer than mine) was complaining that his car is noisy as hell.
That's nice. My friend's Swift has so much of rattles in the floor too which I never noticed earlier, until I read about it in some threads. I think it's about care and maintenance as well.

But I like how his Swifts sprints forwards without "pedal to the metal" at all. One of the best performance oriented hatch.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:31   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Since there is no local Safety testing and rating agency, no car can be declared safest. Some cars sold in India are sold in India, so they have undergone EURO NCAP assessment. Some cars like Punto and i20 have scored 5-Star rating in Europe but that is completely irrelevant here since all cars come with lesser safety equipment in India compared to Europe.

Euro NCAP ratings of some cars sold in India can be seen here. Remember the same cars sold in India have lesser safety equipment. Equipment like ESP, Knee Airbags, Curtain Airbags are generally missing here.

Instead of rating safest car, i would rate safer cars. Honda has done a great job by equipping all their cars sold in India with Airbags and ABS as standard equipment.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th September 2010 at 19:32.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Airbags didn't pop out even in my friend's i20. I would think on paper it would be the i20 though - with 6 airbags and ABS. Even the Tata cars do look solid as opposed to the Suzukis.
The most common reason why the air-bags don't pop out is a lot of people don't fasten the seat belts. Air-bags pop out only if the seat belts are fastened.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:23   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Let some more come in.
My query was more for a guy who is bit averse in taking risks as this would be his first car (so skoda goes bit down the list). yes i20 makes a strong point but some people here raise questions on its handling part. Punto too has its issues with service as of now along with city manners. Swift or the rattle bug makes maruti guys more happy than the ones who site inside but it still rings some bells as an overall product.
Guys let me know is swift zxi better or vdi with abs?
Also once you mention the car do mention the onroad price as it becomes second major deciding factor.

It is amply clear that you are going to be buying a Swift. I just suggest the FIRST thing you do after you take delivery is buy good tyres.

I am running my Zxi on 205/55/15 Potenza G3's, previously it was the stock 185/x/14 (stock) JK Vectra (do not exactly recollect) - believe you me, the difference in handling, braking (most crucial), cornering is NIGHT & DAY. With the stock tyres the car was squealing away on most every corner, the braking, well less said the better. Those tyres were a drifter's delight.

So much for the safety aspect. DO NOT economize on the tyres as they can be a make or break in an emergency situation.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 6th September 2010 at 21:28.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:48   #105
Senior - BHPian

In terms of Indian standards, below 10 lakhs, I would only rate the fiat linea and punto as the safest. Heavyweights aside, they mask speeds like no other and run like glue on our roads with great suspension and chassis. Just shut that door or lift the bonnet to experiance. Fabia too is a good option.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed