Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if im wrong guys but it seems like the 4th generation is more like a facelifted 3rd generation Wagon R. The so called 4th generation Wagon R seems to have new headlamps, bumper, grill, taillamps etc. but the sides look identical, so does the bonnet.
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:35   #32
BHPian

o nahi yaar!! we dont deserve this..hell noooo!! after stylish punto, companies should look at improvment but suzuki remains to the one company refusing to understand. big is the new small now..undershtand my friend!!
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:48   #33
BHPian

Is it part of ACI's 40 or so new cars for next year ?
If yes I dont think it will come . They predicted Liana will come to replace Esteem and Ignis will also come . But they never came .

However if the news is true Maruti sure has not learned the lessons from Estilo .
They will need to tinker with looks a lot to even consider making it a success .
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
However if the news is true Maruti sure has not learned the lessons from Estilo .
Spot on. IIRC they tried the same stunt with Estilo, bringing old dies for a phased out model from Japan.

Also shows the contempt with which Suzuki holds India, it's largest and most profitable market.

The cache which Suzuki has in India is mainly because of Marutis first-mover advantage and excellent service network, not anything that Suzuki has done. If Suzuki continues with the same attitude, that will erode as well, especially if companies like VW and Toyota get into small cars in a big way and bring good service networks.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:00   #35
BANNED

Frankly speaking, I like this new Wagon-R than the one currently selling in India.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:55   #36
BHPian

This i think is a practical and economical city car which is not meant for highway curise.It will have more space than the competitors. If xylo can sell why not this?
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:01   #37
BHPian

it doesnt look any uglier than the current WagonR. but if its made bigger, more space and a not so bad interiors, along with basic safety features, and the K series engine, add to that Maruti A** and it would sell more. Me thinks.
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
To me, it has rather become difficult to do away with my Wagon-R after clocking 91,000Kms as I have seen practicality as the main USP for this little hatch.

Amongst all the hatches in this segment, the luggage space offered is much better,....

Yes, I have it in my 4 year old Hatch and I can make a flat bed out of the 4 seats (Not an option in the currently sold W-R) but this too was a deciding factor when I last purchased. These reclining rear seats were a boon when we travelled as a family.

It was never a highway handler I knew but I am not going to rally and nor was my aim to do cornerings over its limit on a not-so-aerodynamic tallboy. common sense prevailed and the car kept clocking - Highways or the City.

So of these 12000+ buyers many would have their criteria in mind when they decide. For them (like me) looks may not at all be Important.
+1 to your points above. I'm still clinging on to my 8 year old Waggie for the features if offers. Even my buying decision was clinched by the reclining seats and the flat bed facility.

BTW, MSIL has been making the worst-looking cars over the past couple of years---like the Estillo, DZire and now this!!
Old 31st December 2009, 13:25   #39
BANNED

Heard that Maruti's new Eeco comes with a modified 1.2L K-series SOHC engine with 74BHP power. Then, the same engine may come to new Wagon R as well.
Old 31st December 2009, 14:13   #40
BHPian

This is outright ugly and seems outrageous to me to bring a phased out model to India.

I think Maruti should learn the hard way. They are taking indian market taken for granted as Honda and to a bit, I feel Hero Honda too.

- The sales just cant be maintained for longer times with the outdated models like estilo and wagon-r.

- 800 is anyway going to retire.

- a-star is a big dud.

- Alto would sell untill serious competition comes like spark 800 or new car from Hyundai.

- Only ritz and swift look like long standing models.

The only innovation from Maruti for long seems to me only the K-series engines. Nothing from design or other aspects.
Old 31st December 2009, 14:38   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

It that actually a snap of the newer version it seems to looks closer to the earlier version.

Indians lover breadboxes, -- see the sales figures of the wagon R - Second to none in its tall boy category.

so will not write off any maruti product - all of which have the capability to sell in large numbers for no apparant logic that car lovers see, but the masses feel make the most sense.

But seriously would appreciate the govt deploying the ban on old machines to old shape dies as well. Old machines cannot be imported into India they how do we get old dies?
Old 31st December 2009, 14:49   #42
BANNED

That design looks contemporary, nice, elegant, cute, aerodynamic, modern, curvy, and beautiful.

I hope that the Mark III is better than its predecessor, the mark IV (err.. that is why they are bringing in the Mark III rather than Mark IV).right?
Old 31st December 2009, 14:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Is this the cervo? or is WagonR going to be upgraded to this Boxy design, and Cervo going to be a differnt car altogether?
Old 31st December 2009, 14:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It that actually a snap of the newer version it seems to looks closer to the earlier version.

Indians lover breadboxes, -- see the sales figures of the wagon R - Second to none in its tall boy category.

so will not write off any maruti product - all of which have the capability to sell in large numbers for no apparant logic that car lovers see, but the masses feel make the most sense.

But seriously would appreciate the govt deploying the ban on old machines to old shape dies as well. Old machines cannot be imported into India they how do we get old dies?
Are you saying that so called "car lovers" don't buy Maruti cars and only the "masses" are interested in Maruti ? You can't be more wrong my friend.

Here in Team-BHP itself, i guess Maruti owners will outnumber the owners of other brands. Aren't we car lovers ?

So you don't want cars like WagonR to sell ? Then go and ask the competetiitors to produce cars costing less than 3.5 lacs which have virtues like reliable engine, great visibility and space, fuel efficiency, ease of driving , numerous cubbyholes, best after sales and spare part availability and rock solid reliability. When that happens , the common man ("masses"in your language) will be more than willing to shift to other brand.

Last edited by DCEite : 31st December 2009 at 15:00.
Old 31st December 2009, 17:48   #45
BHPian

The scoop pics printed in ACI are misleading and no way near the Waong-R that is going to be launched in March. Absolutely ridiculous to give it a cover page. There is also a blunder on the cover page which states the new Wagon-R to come with 1.2L petrol. Nowhere the magazine mentions about the 1.2L in the description, except for the 998cc A-Star engine.

There are two real scoop pics printed in Overdrive, and the new Wagon-R is not any different from the current Wagon-R, except for some nice curves at front and back. The front more or less looks like the new Estilo, except that there is wide, narrow grill in the bumber too. There is no sideview pic.

Though it could have been better, still the styling is better than the current model.

To clarify, the scoop pics from ACI are nowhere near the one that is going to be launched.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 31st December 2009 at 17:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed