Chevrolet Cruze 89 8.41%
Toyota Fortuner 105 9.92%
Skoda Superb 40 3.78%
Mercedes Benz E Class 6 0.57%
Voters: 1058. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 13:31   #106
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Nano. It has created a new trend in the Indian auto industry.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:48   #107
BHPian

its NANO all the way .
and in upper segmant its LAND ROVER FREELANDER 2 all the way !!!!!!!!
Old 24th December 2009, 14:35   #108
BHPian

I voted for Punto, for an overall package. Being an Indian my heart also inclined towards Nano.
Old 24th December 2009, 15:34   #109
BHPian

My Vote goes to FIAT Linea .

A very special reason is that - My Linea - looks beautiful in the Picture on pg. 1. And ofcourse , i spent a wonderful 15300 km (uptil today) behind the wheels on this baby in 2009...even did a max. speed of 190kph . Will try to break that in 2010

Thanks Dippy

Last edited by FastLove : 24th December 2009 at 15:50.
Old 24th December 2009, 15:42   #110
BHPian

The COTY has got to be the Nano. However, for the passions and excitement it aroused in all the car forums-TBHP in particular-the award should go the Linea. For the great styling, great ride and the VFM at every price-point from Rs 4.5L to 7L, the award should go to the Punto. Since the T-COTY is a no contest in favour of the Nano, I am going to vote for what I believe is the 1st runner up, the GP. It does break my heart note to vote for the Linea
Old 24th December 2009, 16:05   #111
BHPian

Voted for Punto.

Reason being, that's the car I found good enough to put my hard earned money on. If any other car was meeting all my requirements better than Punto, I would have bought that and voted for that.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:14   #112
BHPian

Has to be the Nano .A revolution of a car .
Through many hurdles Tata just kept on going and finally produced the 1lakh rupee car . Though the price is more than that , Sam and NC's ride from Bombay to Delhi convinced me it is a proper car .
Old 24th December 2009, 17:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Fortuner. People in India had been waiting for it for more than 4 years. Bookings were done as much as 5 months in advance, people booked the vehicle without knowing the specifications or pricing, just to get over the wait. And launch was a killer price, which shattered the others in that segment. Others had to correct their price, Endy AT and Captiva. While CRV, X Trail dont mind low sales. Fortuner recieved so many bookings that they had to close fresh bookings and the waiting period is just around 6 months.

Once Toyota launches its small car in 2011, it will change the game in that segment too.

I remember Sandeep Singh, (Marketing Head, Toyota India) in his fortuner launch presentation was showing the sales numbers of SUVs in India and mentioned that the last 3 months sales have been down as people are holding on their purchase for Fortuner launch.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 24th December 2009 at 17:38.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:19   #114
BHPian

Tata Nano seems like an obvious choice on the forum but I would really differ and put the Nano in the niche cars segment. The fact is that there are a handful Nano's on the road and the speed doesnt seem to be increasing in the near future. By the time they will come out with enough Nanos the price would have gone up to more than 2 lacs anyways. Hence for me a car that is actually available in the showrooms and I can see, touch, feel and most importantly, BUY, will be a COTY.

While I am tempted towards the Fiat, its A.S.S. makes me think that however good its cars may be, wots the use if I cannot keep it properly.
Jazz is overpriced, Xylo is nothing great and neither is the Rio, though it has created a really cool new segment that I am looking forward to.
A Merc will be as every Merc should be luxurious best, hence nothing new here. Similarly, while Manza is a very capable car, its exactly what Indica Vista should be if converted into a sedan.

That leaves me with the Fortuner, Superb, Cruze and Ritz. For me, these are all Car of the year in their respective segments - SUV, Luxary Sedan, Driver's Sedan & hatchback.

But going by a holistic approach, RITZ is the one which makes the cut for these reasons:

- New engine technology with amazing power and fuel efficiency, a must for an 'Indian' car
- Spacious enough for families
- Perfect to drive in Indian conditions
- A car that most Indians can actually buy...

Just my few bits
Old 24th December 2009, 23:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the Italian hot hatch Fiat Grande Punto :-)
Old 24th December 2009, 23:57   #116
BHPian

My vote went to the Punto.

BUT its just a matter of time that Nano needs. It has the potential of selling at high numbers. Simple because: B2B Traffic city drive-ability and cost. I am talking about mass sales here. It will surely take time for the 'mass' to accept it. And I really expect more of such cars in future. Lets see.

ps: trying to convince my boss for leaves in Jan for Auto Expo
Old 25th December 2009, 00:01   #117
BHPian

How did the Premier Rio make it to the poll
Old 25th December 2009, 02:55   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
How did the Premier Rio make it to the poll
And more importantly, who was the person who voted for it?
Old 25th December 2009, 12:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma123 View Post
Tata Nano seems like an obvious choice on the forum but I would really differ and put the Nano in the niche cars segment. The fact is that there are a handful Nano's on the road and the speed doesnt seem to be increasing in the near future. By the time they will come out with enough Nanos the price would have gone up to more than 2 lacs anyways. Hence for me a car that is actually available in the showrooms and I can see, touch, feel and most importantly, BUY, will be a COTY.
I agree with this viewpoint 100%. I too did not vote for the Nano for similar reasons. What's the point in boasting that its an achievement that they have this mouthwatering pricing, when anyone having that much money to buy a Nano is NOT able to buy it. It is not a revolution in terms of pricing or availability in that sense.

If a time comes when anyone who wishes to by a Nano can actually buy it, it will be selling at much higher prices as opposed to its 'lottery' style of selling today.

I wonder whether everyone who votes for the Nano blindfolded is actually thinking about this aspect.

For me, the real COTY '09 will be GP.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2009 at 12:32.
Old 25th December 2009, 12:55   #120
Senior - BHPian

Not sure why this car was left out. If i'm right this car was launched in late December and the automatic and diesel variants this year. So technically speaking i seriously feel this should be included in the poll. (Since its not just a Variant or different engine tuning launch but an entire new engine / transmission launch)

Hyundai i20

- Different engine options for different needs
- Class leading interior fit and finish
- Decent enough equipment list
- Sporty Exterior Styling
- Above Average Service Availability/Quality
- Slightly overpriced

PS. Having this car out of the poll would not really do justice to the Team-BHP COTY 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2009 EDIT : The Tata Nano it is!-hyundaii2020082009.jpg  

Most Viewed