Team-BHP - Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/72222-toyota-launches-prado-diesel-india-2.html)

Toyota killed the market with VFM Fortuner price in the indian market!

now with 2010 prado, they want to make some money! by the way new prado is a damn good vehicle, but it is priced toooooo high!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 1648808)
AFAIK, Range Rover sport has something similar; not just height-control, almost a live-axle setup...

At 1 crore though.. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karpusv (Post 1648815)
At 1 crore though.. :)

yup....forgot to mention that; and it's disastrous MPG figures.

+1 @param

The SUV lovers will be all grin. Open your arms and take that goody bag and hug it tight.

I am sure there are great many launches by AutoExpo and people will hoard moolah to buy these new breed to cars coming in.

Indian scene is defying global norms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 1648808)
AFAIK, Range Rover sport has something similar; not just height-control, almost a live-axle setup...

Hari, nearly 60% of that 53L price tag is tax. It's a CBU.

Sandeep infact import CBU is charged at 120% import duties. so we can roughly calculate that a prado wherever its manufactured, it might cost 25-26 lakhs

Quote:

Originally Posted by motor spirit (Post 1648873)
Sandeep infact import CBU is charged at 120% import duties. so we can roughly calculate that a prado wherever its manufactured, it might cost 25-26 lakhs

20 to 22 L only; Thats why I said 60% of the 53L tag is tax (that is 31L is the tax component)

Well the best thing about prado diesel version is let the big shots buy it as soon as possible.Then they will drive them to the malls and the weddings or may be some long drives.Then 2-3 years down the lane when it will be around 50k on the odo then people like me(who has love for the cars but not 50 lakhs to spend)can buy it in a fair cheap price comparison to new.And can enjoy the ride.

One of my friend's dad owns montero and its amazing whenever my friend comes to meet me in montero(once in a month) he always gets to know something new in montero he doesnt even know.Thats because no one in their family has paid attention to their ride and actually cleaned them with their hands to get to know it better.And 90pc of the time the SUV is chauffeur driven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 1648801)
well what are your views regarding the 3.0 TDI used across the VW /Audi /Porsche range?
the 3.0 TDI is shared with the a4/a6/Q5/Q7/cayenne/Toureg which all have a price range from 35-70 lacs any justification for that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karpusv (Post 1648787)
IMO The Fortuner engine is not exactly an Innova Tuned Engine. It was designed on similar lies parallelly along with the 2.5 Ltr

Now the Prado has a tuned 3.0 Ltr Engine similar to Fortuner, but churning 410 Nm torque. Might not be as monstrous as you would expect, but consider this...

Guys my point is that this engine does not do justice to an otherwise excellent machine at this price point.

I understand it has lots of pretty heavy duty off-roading kit built in with rock solid Toyota reliability as a bonus but for an average joe like me who rarely fights it off with taliban or goes for raid-de-himalayas a machine costing more than half a crore ought to have a bit more power.

Coming to the 3.0 TDI part, an A4 3.0 TDI base costs 38L whereas a base Q7 costs 53L. This ratio (1.4) is still ok compared to 2.8 times of Prado versus a fortuner. This is however beside the point I was trying to make as above.

about the price the old prado costs around 43 lacs ex showroom blore and comes to 54 on road .
Is there a typo error or a 10 lac rupee hike for the diesel variant??

Ridiculous pricing ! I wouldn't pay a dime more than 30 for this, oh and that too OTR :p
More than sales, toyota has launched this car as a brand or rather price building strategy. There purpose is served as it has all of us thinking that the fortuner is VFM.
I'm losing respect for the toyota brand that has always differentiated itself from Honda by having a fair pricing attitude. But they too are now milking us like most others in the luxury segment.
So who is to set the game right here if not Toyota? Our much disliked Skoda? They are the only company that gave us our penny worth with the Superb in the entry luxury segment!
We need a bold company to get us a price correction across the board, CBU or CKD eitherways our luxury segments are a profit haven.

Whoa!! Now who is going to buy one, and sell it to me after 3 years for 20L? :p

Btw, the Philippines Toyota offers the LC200 with 4.5 Diesel mill with AT and leather for 45.06L Pesos, and the 3.0 AT WP for 36.10 L. MT 3.0 is up for 34.95L...

Hi friends,

I saw the official announcement of Toyota Prado's Diesel version in today's newspaper in Chennai. It says that the price is 52.5 lakhs. Any how for the benefit of our forum members I am scanning and attaching the news.

At 50+L, and with an engine almost similar to the 18L Fortuner, they shouldn't have bothered.

Prado's a great car no doubt, but at a 3x price increase over Fortuner is ridiculous.

Great move by Toyota by introducing diesel heart. But with an engine similar to fortuner, it looks way over priced for the feature it offers.

All in all, the market for Prado diesel will come from movie stars, realators etc who wants to have an SUV which is not as common as Fortuner

How many Petrol Prados Toyota has sold in india after it was launched in 2004?

OT:

In 2007 when i went for auto show in australia, i saw Prado kept for display. There was no one to see this SUV. i went in sat, shifted greas etc etc. Other than me i guess no body went near that during entire auto show lol:

My freinds are like, oh man this is not a special thing in here. come lets check out Mercs, Beemres etc and took me out of this

Quote:

Originally Posted by recshenoy (Post 1649377)
All in all, the market for Prado diesel will come from movie stars, realators etc who wants to have an SUV which is not as common as Fortuner

Even they wouldn't be bothered as I feel. You don't want every sonu, monu and rinku to say tata to you on a highway while you're taking a ride on half crore car. The only market I can think of is for rich hardcore SUV enthus and politicos.