Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 17:49   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, it's cheaper sibling - The Fortuner - makes the Prado seem pointless. Same engine, and neither is the Prado blessed with A+ ride and handling. I can't think of a single reason why anyone should pay 50+ lakhs for this. As Sahil posted, 30 lakhs? Sure. 50 lakhs...you have to be kidding me.

Congrats on joining the Montero has one of the most pointless new SUVs you can buy. Even though I am a fan of the Montero, it makes zero sense at 50 lakhs. Not only can you buy an equally powerful / spacious Fortuner for 18 lakhs, but also 2 year old Monteros can be had for 20 lakhs!
Old 24th December 2009, 18:19   #32
BHPian

Just like the Land Cruiser, a Prado is something special. 200,000 km and 10 years down, it'll be chugging along without missing a beat and running up a Rs. 1,00,000 service bill. Parallel imports of the last generation Prado in the Diesel guise had takers for 45- 50 Lacs (brand new) before the economic slowdown. I know of at least 3 people going for them, even without any warranty.

The Montero doesn't sell mostly due to the low key marketing, and people who drive typically do 50,000 + km yearly are now being concerned about the maintenance costs of the X5 and the ML. Buying an LC Prado and a new E class CDI for 1 crore makes much more sense to some people than spending that much on a new 7.
Old 24th December 2009, 21:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

regardless of the price , people who want to be associated with the "Land Cruiser" family will go in for it.
I see plenty of film stars ,politicians , rich business men etc going in for it.
why ? fortuner is become far too common that's why.
Old prado with the very thirsty petrol engine did quite a few numbers despite its hefty tag and i dont see why this diesel plant will be bad for it.
People say the diesel is shared with the fortuner then go for the petrol variant simple !! (im sure the v6 will be available if not now at least in the near future)
If toyota had bought in the v8 as some one mentioned then people will start a debate regarding the price of the LC200 and the prado and why the lc 200 demands a 50 lac premium.
A business is about keeping some people happy not everybody , this car is not for the masses.And like the LC 200 this is a premium offering and is nothing short of a second feather (after the big daddy of course) on toyota's cap

Last edited by vinaydas : 24th December 2009 at 21:23.
Old 25th December 2009, 00:28   #34
BHPian

Some pics

Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-imag0169.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-imag0173.jpg

Some more of the launch event

Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2190.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2194.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2195.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2222.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2216.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2221.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2226.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2201.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2202.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2214.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2223.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2224.jpg
Toyota launches the Prado Diesel in India-100_2248.jpg
Old 25th December 2009, 01:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

50 laks ???

50 laks and is this the best interior they could churn up ??? A big disappointment . Both the LC Prado and Montero don't deserve to be in our market at this price range . God even their engine sucks. I just drove the Montero back here in Kuwait . My Ford Endeavour has more life than the Montero's crappy engine . Believe you me. Please don't waste half a crore on craps like these .
Old 25th December 2009, 01:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Feel like puking .

Is it just me or does anyone else have the same feeling. I just feel like puking all over the Prado's interiors. Look at it. Who in their right minds would pay half a crore for those interiors ???
Old 25th December 2009, 09:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the launch pictures. the interiors are grey, which is good. The vehicle seems to be quite at a height, just compare it with the people standing next to it.

Sell any vehicle at high price and it becomes a luxury, no wonder Fiat 500D is a luxury hatch.
Old 25th December 2009, 09:56   #38
BHPian

It seems like TOYOTA has taken a leaf out of VW's book. If Beetle can be sold at 20 odd lac, why not LCP at 50 odd?
Old 25th December 2009, 12:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else have the same feeling. I just feel like puking all over the Prado's interiors. Look at it. Who in their right minds would pay half a crore for those interiors ???
nah its just you
to me compared to the fortuners interiors this is luxury
a bit outdated but nevertheless pretty decent imo.

Last edited by vinaydas : 25th December 2009 at 12:11.
Old 25th December 2009, 12:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

50 Lakhs seems to be a fair price.. I would buy only this if I was earning 25-60 lakhs per month. I would prefer this over 5 series anyday.
Old 26th December 2009, 10:08   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
50 laks and is this the best interior they could churn up ??? A big disappointment .
If you want luxury, neither the Prado nor the Landcruiser are for you. They are intentionally designed with functional hard-wearing interiors. Believe me, people do buy Landcruisers to rough it out. The appeal of these SUVs is in their ability to perform as workhorses in the harshest of conditions. Day in and day out, with zero complaints.

Just because some bollywood & socialite types buy Landcruisers in India doesn't change their target market.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unfortunately, it's cheaper sibling - The Fortuner - makes the Prado seem pointless. Same engine, and neither is the Prado blessed with A+ ride and handling. I can't think of a single reason why anyone should pay 50+ lakhs for this.
Spot on! Toyota seems intent on committing harakiri in the Indian market- first they launch the Prado with a petrol only motor (d-uh! this is india dude, diesel rules!), then they price a brilliant Camry out of the market, leaving the field wide open for Honda, then they launch the LC 200 at an on road price close to 1 Cr (Sheesh! what do these guys smoke?) and now this!! I wonder if they are having some seriously potent Saki with their lunch at the Marketing department in TML....
Old 27th December 2009, 11:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

from my experience , the prado and the big daddy are two cars which once you buy ,you tend to keep them forever.
i have many friends who have 10year+ prados and land cruisers as daily drives and still running buttery smooth.
As GTO had mentioned This baby has been built for a purpose
Old 28th December 2009, 09:22   #44
BHPian

Comparing Fortuner and LCPrado is meaningless. Comparing the build quality of Jap made LCP is miles and miles ahead. Interior fit and finish is top notch and truly Japanese. Fort, once you get in, you know it is Thai made. I drove both and I would love to own a LCP but not really Fort. But the indian price is truly crazy...and doesn't justify even for LCP. Fort. atlast makes sense to me :-)

Btw, it looks like a heavily modified LCP as the old one introduced in 2002 looks different. If you look closely the wheel flarings/arches more obvious in the old model which gave a tough look to the older version. The aircon vents are now different and nicely placed. Looks like a heavily modified version as the current one is more than 7 years old. Nissan Patrol is giving some toughtime to LCP lately with upgraded version.

The older 3.0L is a powerful puller itself (if i am not wrong it is a TD in high spec models). Very smooth power delivery for a non-CRDI and fairly refined. With CRDi it should be better surely. NVM package was not that good though. Hopefully its better as well. LCP simply means indestructible!

Last edited by sgmuser : 28th December 2009 at 09:24.
Old 28th December 2009, 10:35   #45
BHPian

True, the LCP build quality is legendary, but the pricing is just out of this world! How in this world they can justify this price? Other very capable SUV's like LR Discovery are decently priced for a CBU but at the same time they boast of long list of equipment and a diesel engine that's generations ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks