Team-BHP - M&M launches Xylo variant - Xylo D2, with new Engine
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   M&M launches Xylo variant - Xylo D2, with new Engine (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/72362-m-m-launches-xylo-variant-xylo-d2-new-engine.html)

Saw this in today's paper - I guess this is the taxi/cab version of Xylo. The Rs 6.3L price tag seems attractive, will this give Xylo sales a boost? - wait & watch.

Source - Economic Times
Quote:

NEW DELHI: The homegrown auto major Mahindra & Mahindra today launched a new version of its multi-utility vehicle Xylo with an advanced engine.

The new model is priced at Rs 6.30 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The new Xylo D2 is equipped with a 2.5 litre mDI CRDe engine, which would give a mileage of 13 km per litre, Mahindra & Mahindra said in a statement.

"The Xylo D2's mDI CRDe engine offers...greater fuel efficiency, lower maintenance and spare parts cost and decreased emissions," Mahindra & Mahindra senior vice president for marketing-automotive sector Vivek Nayer said.

The largest utility vehicle seller launched the Xylo late last December and has been a run-away success.
Source - Wheelsunplugged
Quote:

At the heart of the XYLO D2 is the mDI CRDe engine which combines the benefits of both DI and CRDe technology. These include enhanced fuel efficiency, decreased maintenance and spares costs and lower emissions and NVH levels. This technologically superior engine complies with BS 3 emission norms and delivers a power-packed 95 bhp with 22 kilogram meter torque over a range of 1400 to 2600 rpm. The 2.5 litre engine is meshed with a five-speed manual gearbox and has been built on the Scorpio NEF CRDe engine family with relevant technological advancements.

Hmm..So this is the Xylo's Taxi version which was being hyped earlier. Pricing is indeed attractive. Any reduction in features?

1) What are variants available with this motor ? Scorpio engine is tractor derived, but is not known to give issues and is quite reliable. Thanks to MileCruncher, I realized that the 2.5 currently available in Xylo since day one is rather based on Peugeot XD3P.

I think that this is nothing but the Bolero CRDe motor, not the Scorpio 2.6's smaller version.

2) Clearly they are targeting the taxi market. Looks like Tavera is going to get hit. Next, even Indicruz has to be a bit more attentive now. Very attractive pricing. If many variants are made available with this motor, then this one hit a few sedans this time.

This is most likely the CRDe version of the Bolero DI engine. Similar to what Tata did with it's 3.0 liter DICOR engine.

Does the new mDI CRDe engine mean that Xylo has become more powerful than before? I got the specifications as below.

E2/E4/E6/E8
Power(KW@rpm) 83.2kW@3800
Torque (Nm@rpm) 260Nm@1800-3001

D2
Power(KW@rpm) 69.5kW@3600
Torque (Nm@rpm) 220Nm@1400-2600

I am a bit of an ignoramus on how these power and torque ratings would effect the performance of the car. Can anyone explain it to me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpente (Post 1654343)
Does the new mDI CRDe engine mean that Xylo has become more powerful than before?..... Can anyone explain it to me?

No, the new mDI CRDe engine is not more powerful - but it is more fuel efficient.

E2/E4/E6/E8 come with the mEagle engine.
Power(KW@rpm) 83.2kW@3800 (= 112 hp - higher value means more power)
Torque (Nm@rpm) 260Nm@1800-3000 (More torque means more pulling power)

D2 comes with the new mDI CRDe engine.
Power(KW@rpm) 69.5kW@3600 ( = 95 hp)
Torque (Nm@rpm) 220Nm@1400-2600

IMO, the new mDI engine is targeted towards the taxi/cab trade. It is claimed to provide higher fuel efficiency (13 kmpl in city) without sacrificing too much in terms of power. Also note that the max torque for the mDI comes in at 1400 rpm itself (i.e at low gears), so it pulls easily in low gears, this improves the drivability of the vehicle in traffic and under heavy load.

As other forum members suggested, the mDI engine may have been derived from the current DI engine used in Bolero. If that is the case, the engine may be louder & harsher - not as refined as the mEagle in general.

Hope that helps.

That makes it pretty clear. Now I understand why the D2 Xylo is good as a taxi vehicle. Thanks H3lios

Old Scorpio engine tweaked = E series Xylo engine

Tractor engine tweaked = Bolero DI engine
Bolero engine + CRDI + tweaking = D series Xylo engine

Xylo saw a good run in 2009 but now time has come for Mahindra to make changes and variations in Xylo's specs and models to keep the sales up. If the D2 will pull easily in lower gears than I think it will be a lighter and easier drive and even the ones who want better speed in traffic areas will want it other than the Taxi segment people.

I found this Press Release and D2 specs sheet on this link Xylo mDICRDe v2 WithSpec

24518369-Xylo-mDICRDe-v2-WithSpec.pdf

This is a step from Mahindra to tap the commercial segment, the lower powered engine tuned towards early delivery of torque clearly focuses on the Taxi market. Everybody here knows Xylo despite being priced cheaper than the Innova isn't selling in as good volumes.

The Engine comes from the Bolero CRDe, the basic construction of the engine means it will be cheaper to manufacture and maintain whilst the lower state of tune will ensure its more Fuel Efficient as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 1654894)
This is a step from Mahindra to tap the commercial segment, the lower powered engine tuned towards early delivery of torque clearly focuses on the Taxi market. Everybody here knows Xylo despite being priced cheaper than the Innova isn't selling in as good volumes.

will putting in a crude motor (relatively) going to help in eating the innova share of cab market? It will rather eat in to tavera and bolero sales

Quote:

Originally Posted by siedo (Post 1654936)
will putting in a crude motor (relatively)

The M2Di motor is not at all as "crude" as it seems. In fact, it was put in the Scorpio and has sold decent numbers. Also, the power and the torque curve of this motor suits the commercial requirements perfectly not to mention the pricing strategy of the same.

This coupled with better fuel efficiency, low cost of spares and the ruggedness of the Xylo would indeed grab a chunk of Toyota's taxi pie as well.

This is quite a funny strategy.

They start of to compete with Innova, then after the first 2 months itself, Innova surges ahead to now account for almost twice the numbes as Xylo, reasons, fit-finish-refinement-looks-safety features.

Now instead of improving on these defeciencies, Xylos decides to compete a segment lower and target the Taxi market with fuel effeciency - Yep Innova too sells in good numbers in the taxi segment with the base G variant, but is this the right move.

Only time will tell as frankly we do not have the breakup of Innova taxi sales to private car sales, but surely M&M do have that breakup.

The Scorpio has a M2DI too.

M2DI is powered by direct injection engine developing 70hp at 3200 rpm and 200Nm @ 1800 – 2200 rpm.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2di-worli.html

The one that comes in Scorpio is not even BSIII ? If so, we can expect the new engine in the Scorpio too IMHO.

M&M price for Bolero Strom Vlx with CRDE 90HP enginer is Rs. 6.95 lakhs which has rudimentary interiors, features.

Now the Xylo D2 with mDI CRDE which apprear to be the same Bolero Strom Engine, is priced 50K lower and obviously the features such as seating, interiors , space are much more than Bolero.

Perhaps Mahindra wants Those undecided customers of Bolero for its space, seating, features to buy another Mahindra vehicle and not fall out to buy competitor product.

Bolero engine may convince Taxi market on maintenance free perception along with 6.3 lakhs pricing.

For the best road safety, Govt of India please instruct car manufacturers that " each Vehicle weighing 900kgs and above must be equipped with ABS as mandatory fitment."