Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 22:30   #31
BHPian

Hmmm.
I will agree on the post regarding Tata's tradition of unveiling cars at the Auto Expo.

Regarding Tata testing in Sweden read this
Tata Motors - Associates.

They have a technical center in Europe where they test cars for European markets.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

The drooping roofline looks great. Very soft-roader-ish. But they are very heart-warming pics nevertheless.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:37   #33
BHPian

I find the house of Tata Automotive makes great show cars and prototypes but they take so long to get into production. They milk their existing Indica design for all its worth. From Indica, to Indigo, to Marina to Indigo XS. But Engine options are few and upgrades are far apart.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:39   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope it doesnt endup looking like the Indica's relative.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

but is this a tata? no indications any where on the car... if so mostly will be released under a new name and will stick to the European market.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:44   #36
BHPian

It does look a bit small and MPV-ish to be a Safari... If this is the new Safari, a lot of people may be disappointed that it went 'soft'.
Old 29th January 2008, 23:09   #37
Team-BHP Support

The new platform is monoque.
The X2(or is it X3) will be more innovish, and the time frame is 2009, but I guess due to the 1 lakh car this may be delayed to 2010.
Apparently, tata will save a lot on safari production costs if they go with X2, the reason being 500kg less metal.
Considering high tensile steel is expensive, this means a cheaper safari, or same priced safari with higher margins
Old 29th January 2008, 23:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

To me that looks like an Innova/Ingenio class vehicle. I hope TATA doesnt dump the idea of a full blown macho SUV.
Old 29th January 2008, 23:48   #39
BHPian

What I would expect from a new Safari is a feeling of more stability and solidity. Currently it doesn't look stable, too narrow and high. That sort of design doesn't inspire confidence at the curves. Would like it to be wider and perhaps more well defined and built.

From the pics it looks like a crossover between a SUV and a MPV, the length, the tyres size and the extra space between the tyres and body makes it all look a bit unrefined and fragile. Needs to be more solid.

However this is work in progress so we never know what the final may look like. This may not even be the Tata Safari, could be a new MPV they want to launch.
Old 29th January 2008, 23:58   #40
BHPian

This look more as the Indigo Marina with some fog lamps in front.
Old 30th January 2008, 00:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

i would prefer it being launched along with the safari,..not replacing the safari,judging from the shape i does not have safari appeal and yet has its own which is good too
so i feel if the news is indeed true ,then they should have boh of the in the market
Old 30th January 2008, 01:55   #42
BHPian

If this is going to be launched as Safari i will be heartbroken.Safari has its own looks,cult status and above all its a true Offroader,How will this one can become an SUV?
i hope it will be out as a MPV from Tata's stable and not Safari reborn....
Old 30th January 2008, 02:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

The profile matches the Xover's , from the A, B pillar and even of what we can see of the third glass. The wheel arches and the door handle positions match up too.

Infact when the showcased Xover they themselves said this will be the base for the new Safari X2.
Old 30th January 2008, 02:43   #44
BHPian

There are more pictures (i got the page translated) at AutoWeek.
Translated version of http://www.autoweek.nl/forum/read.php?12,3355403,3355609

Very disapponting profile. The steep roofline, the quarterglass, raked windscreen, lumped up bonnet, small engine bay, no spare wheels, very narrow front doors - somehow it doesnt quite indicate that this is a step forward for the Safari or a mainline SUV in general. Not worthy to be a successor to Safari. This's my view and I hope this will be a new vehicle from TATA (to take on Innova/Ingenio).

It has the profile of Ssangyong's or Daihatsu's (a longer Terios) or even Hyundai (a la Tuscon). But not quite that of Safari. And there is no evidence to Indicate on the web that this is a Safari. Its hearsay at the moment.

Tough to believe this item. If its true, lets hope it gets better by the time it gets to the show rooms.
Old 30th January 2008, 05:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
To me that looks like an Innova/Ingenio class vehicle.
My thoughts exactly. This cannot be a Safari replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
I hope TATA doesnt dump the idea of a full blown macho SUV.
I seriously hope not. The Safari (the original, not the revised/face-lifted version) was a design classic which has aged pretty well though the age is now showing. I hope the replacement carries on from where this one left off.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed