Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 10:25   #451
Senior - BHPian

The recently posted picture shows huge resemblence of the current generation Safari. I agree with folks saying that this is just a facelifed new Safari. But the amount of covering up indicates this is a major major facelift.

Hence we can now expect 2 different vehicles from Tata MOtors, ie the INdicruz and this new Safari.

One of my friends who has some source in the Tata Plant got some news that the new Indicruz is on trials these days near the Bhiwandi Highway. I dont go on that side but if anyone goes in that area, keep a look for that one.
Old 10th August 2009, 10:37   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
ahaa... tyre tronics! definietely going the mahindra way, scorpios are about to face the heat!

the safari does not have traction control.
TPMS is mandatory requirement in US market as a Safety device and few other countries are likely to follow the US route.
Any manufacture who aspire to export to US market must have it M&M had a big US plan and mHwack VLX Auto is designed keeping that in mind but I think recession forced them to delay US launch.

Euro Export model of Safari has traction control again I think an EU mandated requirement.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:10   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
TPMS is mandatory requirement in US market as a Safety device and few other countries are likely to follow the US route..
From when is TPMS mandatory in the US? I lived there until end of June and it was not mandatory. Have things changed since then?
Old 11th August 2009, 00:00   #454
BHPian

Google says "Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) are mandatory on all new cars sold in the United States since September 1, 2007."
Old 11th August 2009, 08:59   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
From when is TPMS mandatory in the US? I lived there until end of June and it was not mandatory. Have things changed since then?
Probably you were driving more then 2 years old car.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:39   #456
BHPian

Well from latest info which I have got regd Indicruz is that it is going to priced between 14 to 22 lakhs. Don't you think its going to be disater, beacuse with the image value Tata's carry I doubt its success.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:20   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Well from latest info which I have got regd Indicruz is that it is going to priced between 14 to 22 lakhs. Don't you think its going to be disater, beacuse with the image value Tata's carry I doubt its success.
well i dont think tata would place this vehicle in 22 price bracket, no way then its going to sell in our market, indicruz might be available within 15L price barrier.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:38   #458
BHPian

^^^^^^

Could it be the 200bhp V6 diesel that we keep hearing on and off. Remember the twin exhausts on the Indicruz.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:01   #459
Senior - BHPian

^^The 14L - 22L price bracket is for the Crossover or the New Safari?
I thought the Crossover/Indicruz would be pitted against the Xylo / Innova. 14L would be too steep in that case, IMHO.
Also, today's Business-Standard says the Crossover would be launched in Jan-March time frame.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:17   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Probably you were driving more then 2 years old car.
Why don't you check web-sites of us manufacturers and see of TPMS is offered on the base versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
At this point, I guess we are purely speculating on the prices. However, I do agree that if Tata prices the Indicruz above the Innova, they will be in for a rude surprise. I would think the pricing strategy was developed by the same senior manager who oversees their Quality Control.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 11th August 2009 at 13:18.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:30   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Why don't you check web-sites of us manufacturers and see of TPMS is offered on the base versions.
Please go through this link on the applicability of TPMS requirement

Safercar.gov

Checked Honda USA site FIT is cheapest model and base version has TPMS and so does Civic base version. Did not bother to check others.

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th August 2009 at 13:37.
Old 19th August 2009, 02:09   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Euro Export model of Safari has traction control again I think an EU mandated requirement.
I checked the Tata Motors Worldwide website for Safari. I did not find any mention of traction control.

I somehow feel that even the new upgraded Safari will not have this feature in India.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:09   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Engines are not an issue any more, Since Tata's takeover JLR have developed their own new V8 petrol and V6 diesel units. Although they still use Ford's Dagenham facility for production, the new 3.0 V6 Diesel is an outright JLR product, unlike the older 2.7 engine which was made under a Ford/Peugeot association. This new 3.0 twin turbo diesel is among the best (the s version produces 271bhp and almost 600Nm of Torque ).

But the question arises wether any Tata product will be suitable for such a JLR engine and if so at what price. I think the direction Tata should take the new Safari would be to use the existing 2.2 Dicor (maybe upgraded) and cut all the unecessary flab. The present Safari (2WD) weighs 2.65 tonnes as compared to a CRV diesel (with a 4WD system) at 2.16 tonnes. If you add 4WD as well the Safari is almost 3 TONNES.
A lighter safari will be a nimbler handler, have better mileage and performance and perhaps there will be a major saving by getting rid of half a tonne of steel.
My own little reply to this statement, and 4x4Addict who mentioned FIAT diesels.

FIAT make fome terriffic TDis, such as a 5-cylinder 2400cc rated at 225hp as fitted on Lancias, Alfa Romeos; FIAT's Industrial Vehicle Division IVECO manufacture an incredible 3.0 DICOR which plonks out a fully reliable 170hp on superfast delivery vans... which, mated to a 6-speed gearbox with LSD differential... I see those vans speed by at speeds my 3.0 DICOR Safari, over 160mk/h on the highway !!!

What the Safari REALLY needs is a road-spec 6 speed gearbox, mated to a 3-speed transfer case, with i.e. 1:1, 1,7:1, 3:1 synchromesh gears (easy to do if you use an epicycle!)
This would allow the driver to use the middle range for towing, steep climbs, driving on trails etc. and allow for shifting in/out the 1:1 range while in motion.

I sincerely hope Tata will NOT phase out the Safari, rather they improve it to Toyota KDJ Land Cruiser specifications and standards.
The know-how is there, the industrial capabilities are there, it's just a matter of will power and sound economic decision-making.

Tata Club is very string here in Italy, and the Safari would sell even better if only the vehicles went through a more thorough pre-delivery check, sometimes the cars look like they were assembled my drunk monkeys...
Old 28th August 2009, 18:37   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
I checked the Tata Motors Worldwide website for Safari. I did not find any mention of traction control.

I somehow feel that even the new upgraded Safari will not have this feature in India.
ESP
New body design(inline with LR's design)
Rear wheel tucked neatly underneath
Same 2.2l Engine
Old 28th August 2009, 19:14   #465
BHPian

Quote:
ESP
New body design(inline with LR's design)
Rear wheel tucked neatly underneath
Same 2.2l Engine
Wow! I hope your sources are right Dadu.

Any ETA?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks