Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 17:38   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
If you notice the hood/bonnet looks like similar to Range Rover's, if I did not see the bumper and the bumper lights I would have mistoke her to be an RR Does anyone else see this?

She started life when I bought her in 1998 as the poor mans Pajero - what we called her, seems to be going the poor mans Range Rover direction which is not a bad thing infact great
Cant be because in times of aerodynamics, tata wouldn't want to launch a vehicle with high wind drag. There something hiding.
Range rover is range rover saw one cms away this morning with a single 1 no. plate. Belonged to the chairperson of a Bangalore based biotech company.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:01   #617
Senior - BHPian

more pics from motoroids, to me looks similar to the current car, maybe an evolutionary design change on new chassis? I hope this does not end up looking like the car mentioned below:
Attached Thumbnails
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-motoroids_2010_safari_3.jpg  

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-motoroids_2010_safari_4.jpg  

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-motoroids_2010_safari_5.jpg  

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-fordflex_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg  

Old 10th October 2009, 21:03   #618
Senior - BHPian

these Tata-Fiat launches are scaring the hell out of me, is something really big cooking on this alliance? or a big pressure cooker waiting to burst?
Old 10th October 2009, 21:44   #619
Senior - BHPian

Too similar to land rover.
Attached Thumbnails
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-163_0804_03wp_1280x10242008_land_rover_lr3_tdv6_dieselrear_view.jpg  

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-untitled.jpg  

Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-2009landroverfreelander2td4erearsideview588x422.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 00:02   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
She started life when I bought her in 1998 as the poor mans Pajero - what we called her, seems to be going the poor mans Range Rover direction which is not a bad thing infact great
I have bought once. I will buy it again. You cannot improve upon perfection. IMO, safari still scores 10/10 on looks. There isn't any car in India which can dwarf this beauty in any parking lot. Cars will come and go, but safari will stay forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
This is clearly the old Safari ...
Dissapointing,since everybody's expecting something all-new.
Why alter something which looks good. All they need is uplift the interiors, fill panel gaps, dumb the murmur of plastics, overhaul the switches/electronics, add all disc brakes + ESP and put a ~170hp mill (even current DiCOR looks capable of doing it- rev limited by ECU?) i.e. in a sentence put Toyota (or Honda) interior in a present day Safari and you have the monarch of Indian roads ready to rule 2010s.

-BJ
Old 11th October 2009, 00:18   #621
BHPian

Going by the pics, the new gen safari seems a bit shorter and wider!
Old 11th October 2009, 01:24   #622
BHPian

Seems like a facelift to me, maybe to extend the life by another year or so before the next gen safari is introduced
Old 11th October 2009, 02:54   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I have bought once. I will buy it again. You cannot improve upon perfection. IMO, safari still scores 10/10 on looks. There isn't any car in India which can dwarf this beauty in any parking lot. Cars will come and go, but safari will stay forever

Why alter something which looks good. All they need is uplift the interiors, fill panel gaps, dumb the murmur of plastics, overhaul the switches/electronics, add all disc brakes + ESP and put a ~170hp mill (even current DiCOR looks capable of doing it- rev limited by ECU?) i.e. in a sentence put Toyota (or Honda) interior in a present day Safari and you have the monarch of Indian roads ready to rule 2010s.

-BJ
+1 to that. It is just the looks of this vehicle that made me fall in love with her

Hopefully, she'll remain as beautiful, when I'll be able to afford her!

Last edited by safari_lover : 11th October 2009 at 02:55.
Old 11th October 2009, 08:26   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Seems like a facelift to me, maybe to extend the life by another year or so before the next gen safari is introduced
I agree. It seems like a facelift/refresh as opposed to an all new model. This is fine since Safari is actually a good looking vehicle. Just needs a nip and tuck at the rear end and maybe revised interiors with front facing third row seats roof vents integrated into the roof liner, etc. Not to mention some good Quality Control.
Old 11th October 2009, 17:52   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

-BJ
Yes,true.But the Safari clearly shows its age from the rear.I wish it came with a more pronounced facelift with the things you mentioned than just reworked lamps and grilles.The spy pic shows the same old tail-lamps.Bad.

That said,I really love the Safari too!!
Old 11th October 2009, 18:13   #626
BHPian

In my opinion, the only non-positive point about the existing safari, is the way it looks overtly Tall, and not wide enough, as compared to the conventional SUV silhouette...

Just my opinion.

And I think a white safari looks really smart - after reading Tanveers travelogue, and seeing pics of his Safari!
Old 11th October 2009, 19:58   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
In my opinion, the only non-positive point about the existing safari, is the way it looks overtly Tall, and not wide enough, as compared to the conventional SUV silhouette...

Just my opinion.

And I think a white safari looks really smart - after reading Tanveers travelogue, and seeing pics of his Safari!
Very true, and another reason is that the wheels are few inches into the well and not in line with the flared body panels. That makes it looks much taller. Same is the case with all tata cars including the indica. Thats why when you mod the safari with wider tyres and alloys that slighly jut out, it looks much wider, imposing and well planted.

The safari design was much beyond its time when it was launched and hence hold good till today. However i would love to see a new evolved safari and this just seems to be a mere cut paste job again.
Old 11th October 2009, 23:30   #628
Senior - BHPian

A NIP 'n' TUCK

IMO, you can expect a nip'n'tuck job on the existing design. From the spy pics,

- No change to the rear, except maybe loosing the spare tyre on the tailgate.
- Front quarter panels, bonnet, headlights, grille change.
- Headlights upturned like the Endy/ LC
- Better interiors ( hopefully )

In another year's time, I'll be ready to upgrade to the new Safari!
Old 12th October 2009, 07:05   #629
Senior - BHPian

Like bj said; they should add more must have stuff like ESP etc. Wasn't there a rumour that they gonna get some know-how from LR?

170bhp; better brakes (disc all around please), better plastics and more easier access to last bench and wider tyres by default (nope this is not gonna happen, else test mules would have got this and hence its also means old chassis).
Old 12th October 2009, 07:10   #630
Senior - BHPian

so does that mean it's just a new engine? and some cosmetic changes?? why would they be having disguised test mules if the engine is the only difference? they can camouflage it by badging it as a 2.2 VTT and the entire automotive industry wouldnt know.
And i dont think the VTT is at the end of it's life. In fact, they can tweak it even further for more power and torque.
I think it IS a new platform. New chassis, and (maybe) new engine. And an all new Safari. This must be one of the beat test mules without large tyres (hoping so)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks