Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:40   #256
BHPian

I don't think this is an innova clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Great job there Salil!

I quite like the looks. Good to have a debate on why it's copied from the Innova.

But if we consider the Original designs of India over the past few years,
Xylo
Swift Dzire
Sumo Grande
Facelifted Scorpio, Bolero, Zen, M800, WagonR,
I think we are better of with copied/inspired designs
Assuming that they came out with this concept at 2005 autoshow, they might have started working on this at least a while ago. Giving some benefit of the doubt to TATA, I think this model is inspired by Mercedes R Class platform.

Also I think this could be a new platform that could spawn a few vehicles like Xover, Cliff Rider and may be a SUV (Safari Replacement??).
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:43   #257
BHPian

inspiration for Xover

The more and more i look at this car and its predecessors, I think TATA has really been ripped off from this.
Attached Thumbnails
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-mercedesbenzrclasstourer.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2009, 04:26   #258
BHPian

Imagination seems to be running wild again, on the forum. Not sure if all the speculation that we are having is worth the effort.

Aggree with some on the thread, Tata better break free from the family look in the MUV/MPV segment. Pricing, comfort and support will remain primary for the new launch. With knowledge of owning the JAG & LR, hope they can move a step ahead in the Quality department.

GShanky: I sincerely believe this design if more in-house so rip off for Tata’s at least and customers today can pick up what they prefer
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:39   #259
BHPian

Well one of the other car is supposed to be luxury one with steering mounted audio control AC vents, new steering ... a confirmed news about going into prodcution by June so a possibly mid july launch intiall production targetted at 1000 vehicles per month.

This project was kept on hold & was likely to be scrapped but ago ahead has been given & can expect by June.

Also a confirmed news about a new safari in next financial year say by dec 09 or Jan 10

with.. LHD 1 tonner ace, CNG Magic ,1 tonner RHD Ace & Nano coming from utranchal plant before March09. Also a new Micro Bus code named Penguin is on anvil but no concerete knowledge about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-tataindicruz_6.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2009, 11:48   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Well one of the other car is supposed to be luxury one with steering mounted audio control AC vents, new steering ... a confirmed news about going into prodcution by June so a possibly mid july launch intiall production targetted at 1000 vehicles per month.

This project was kept on hold & was likely to be scrapped but ago ahead has been given & can expect by June.

Also a confirmed news about a new safari in next financial year say by dec 09 or Jan 10

with.. LHD 1 tonner ace, CNG Magic ,1 tonner RHD Ace & Nano coming from utranchal plant before March09. Also a new Micro Bus code named Penguin is on anvil but no concerete knowledge about it.
June/July launch is a good news for this car. Hopefully, it will have enough to take on the new Innova and the Xylo.

The new Safari, is that a completely new vehicle or an upgrade on the existing Safari?

And yes, you didn't mention about the New Indigo. When will that be launched?
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:10   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
June/July launch is a good news for this car. Hopefully, it will have enough to take on the new Innova and the Xylo.

The new Safari, is that a completely new vehicle or an upgrade on the existing Safari?

And yes, you didn't mention about the New Indigo. When will that be launched?
Well all this info is from Commercial vehicle plants... indica range all gets manufactured in passenger vehicle plant hence those news are not shared... hence very less info from it...

but safari would be a major face lift as the current face lift is quite ageing... will try to provide more concrete info on it.
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:40   #262
BHPian

Here is a related story about this car at the car magazine uk - Tata Xover: spyshots of the new Safari SUV | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

One interesting point they articulate is that, since the car is being test driven a lot in UK, do the LR folks oversee this development or at least give some inputs? If it were true, I hope the build quality and fit/finish levels of this product would greatly improve.

But would the cost still remain low like other TATA cars?
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:10   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do the LR folks oversee this development or at least give some inputs? If it were true, I hope the build quality and fit/finish levels of this product would greatly improve.
ahh .. this is highly possible and thus they are talking of 4X4 weighing 150 kgs etc. It seems this is the next generation safari indeed.
Old 24th January 2009, 08:03   #264
srh
BHPian

To me it looks like the Indigo Marina Vista. Looks great and if it gets the Tata pricing, I am sure it will finally be the 'Sedan Killer'
Old 24th January 2009, 10:51   #265
BHPian

another interesting thing that i noticed from the car magazine article is that they have jacked up the suspension to the highest in the test mule (to avoid snow). that is why those huge tyre wells.
it may not be the case when the vehicle actually goes to production. it may sit as low as innova. so can drive like a car due to low c of g.
if JLR is giving inputs on the vehicle then it better be good. they were saying the same thing for new indica vista, that tata europe guys have re-designed the soft grain plastic for interiors (whatever that might be).
Old 24th January 2009, 14:28   #266
BHPian

This to me, looks the most balanced looker from the Tata stable. I only hope Tata spends an extra million or two for better interior fittings to get it to Hyundai, if not Toyota levels and tests it thoroughly before they release. At a 8-10 Lakhs OTR price, with all the bells and whistles, it will become the Sedan killer for sure!
Old 25th January 2009, 10:48   #267

Alot of people are saying this looks like an Innova, I do not think it looks like an Innova, but alot better then an Innova, the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odessey look the same here in the states, well they both look like vans and are shaped like such, but upon closer observation one does notice differences in design and difference of design philosohies used, the same can be said about Tata. I think this new beast is better looking then the Innova in every way, every corner. May not be as reliable as the Innova, but certainly has more of a presence. Good Job Tata, make nice high end version with hydra pneumatic suspension (use Range rover hill descent control etc) and yes this would be something the likes no other Indian manufacturer can come close to.
Old 25th January 2009, 13:17   #268
Senior - BHPian

If the rear doors are sliding instead of opening sideways then it would be a definite edge over the Innova. India needs a true minivan like developed markets.
Old 25th January 2009, 13:24   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If the rear doors are sliding instead of opening sideways then it would be a definite edge over the Innova. India needs a true minivan like developed markets.
As per shots doesn't looks like one, as it has normal doors as we have in Innova.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:08   #270
BHPian

Rear Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post

It is a funny coincidence that you were talking about the rear door and I remembered seeing this funny rear-door handle in the test mule.

Take a look at the handle in this picture
Attached Thumbnails
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20-xover_behind.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed