Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 21:12   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith_ka View Post
Now with enhanced partnership with FIAT, I won't be surprised if Tata sources engines from FIAT/Ferrari to plonk them into JLR to avoid all royalty related issues. My two cents!
This makes total sense. However, I am not sure if FIAT has larger diesel engines for commercial/SUV applications like the Defender/Range Rover/ etc. They seem to specialize in the sub 2.0 liter CRD range.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:36   #377
Senior - BHPian

Engines are not an issue any more, Since Tata's takeover JLR have developed their own new V8 petrol and V6 diesel units. Although they still use Ford's Dagenham facility for production, the new 3.0 V6 Diesel is an outright JLR product, unlike the older 2.7 engine which was made under a Ford/Peugeot association. This new 3.0 twin turbo diesel is among the best (the s version produces 271bhp and almost 600Nm of Torque ).

But the question arises wether any Tata product will be suitable for such a JLR engine and if so at what price. I think the direction Tata should take the new Safari would be to use the existing 2.2 Dicor (maybe upgraded) and cut all the unecessary flab. The present Safari (2WD) weighs 2.65 tonnes as compared to a CRV diesel (with a 4WD system) at 2.16 tonnes. If you add 4WD as well the Safari is almost 3 TONNES.
A lighter safari will be a nimbler handler, have better mileage and performance and perhaps there will be a major saving by getting rid of half a tonne of steel.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:44   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I think the direction Tata should take the new Safari would be to use the existing 2.2 Dicor (maybe upgraded) and cut all the unecessary flab. The present Safari (2WD) weighs 2.65 tonnes as compared to a CRV diesel (with a 4WD system) at 2.16 tonnes. If you add 4WD as well the Safari is almost 3 TONNES.

A lighter safari will be a nimbler handler, have better mileage and performance and perhaps there will be a major saving by getting rid of half a tonne of steel.
The "new" safari will come with the 2.2l engine only and agree with you, lighter safari means better engine performance.

Just a correction, current 2WD kerb weight is 2.04 tonnes and 4WD is 2.17 tonnes.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:52   #379
Senior - BHPian

Oops, I was talking of the Gross weight, should've mentioned that earlier. Sorry.
Old 15th June 2009, 17:30   #380
Team-BHP Support

Gross weight? I think for comparison kerb weight is the best. Gross weight is the max loading weight I think, the more the merrier?
Old 17th June 2009, 10:23   #381
Senior - BHPian

Here's another report on this vehicle on Business Standard. It says the vehicle would be launched in sometime next year.

Tata Motors set to roll out its crossover SUV next yr
Old 25th June 2009, 08:16   #382
Senior - BHPian

Spotted Indicruz :: No pictures

In Coimbatore on Trichy road next to Megamart. Didn't carry my camera at that time. Looked extremely spacious and low slung! Wasn't much taller than the Ace standing in front of it. Was also left wondering whether it could be the station wagon (Marina) version of the Vista. Had roof rails.

The complete body was covered with fake tail-lamps, old wheels and older almost bald tyres. The dashboard looked modern although most of the parts in it were missing. Seats looked like leather/art-leather. The steering or the front grill didn't have the monogram. The interiors looked a very mild pista-green (not beige, nor grey, nor black).

Will keep my eyes peeled for this and with a camera handy from now on.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:19   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before. Here are almost unmasked pictures of Indicruz testing in europe.

Tata Safari/Indicruz Spy Photos - worldcarfans
This was exactly the same model that I got to see here yesterday. Even the dashboard is the same. The peeled back look of the headlights were what confused me into thinking it could be the Marina version of the Vista.

Wow, 2 exhausts and a tow hook at the back? Could it also be a 4x4 version?

The rear door looks huge, and so does the wheelbase. I guess this is to make room for the third row and also make ingress and egress easier.

Last edited by discoverwild : 25th June 2009 at 13:22.
Old 29th June 2009, 09:55   #384
BHPian

Any news on when the new safari is planned to be launched? A little bird tells me it will have a 1.9 fiat engine with a lot more power than the 2.2. Anybody else been talking to little birds?
Old 29th June 2009, 21:16   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Any news on when the new safari is planned to be launched? A little bird tells me it will have a 1.9 fiat engine with a lot more power than the 2.2. Anybody else been talking to little birds?
After spending lakhs on developing the 2.2 VVTI which is a very powerful engine, why would they want to pay royalties to Fiat for their engines. I still feel that they should have gone for atleast a 2.5 liter engine in the Safari.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:50   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Yup.. you have heard it correct... BS-IV is one of the main reasons. This not only applies to the beast but to other cars from stable as well
Old 29th June 2009, 22:54   #387
BHPian

I think its Indicruz, not a safari, with BS-4 norms !!!
Old 30th June 2009, 00:15   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Yup.. you have heard it correct... BS-IV is one of the main reasons. This not only applies to the beast but to other cars from stable as well
That would mean Tatas completely outsourcing the engines department to Fiat

Why can't Tatas develop their own engines? What good is a manufacturer if it can't develop it's own engines?

Last edited by safari_lover : 30th June 2009 at 00:18.
Old 30th June 2009, 05:49   #389
Senior - BHPian

The little bird may be carrying just a rumour. My guess is it will be launched with the same engine. Let's not belittle Tata on a rumour. The 2.2 is a very credible engine and so is the Turbo 1.4.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:19   #390
BHPian

The 2.2 ltr is already launched in Europe and it does meet Euro 4 emission norms.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks