Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 13:05   #541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I was at a Tata Service Center in Gurgaon, yesterday. Was told by not just the GM of the service center, but the guy who had come from Tata's that a new Safari is planned for launched post diwali.
The engine is the same, but more refined. The BIG change is the look. And yes the wheeel mounting at the back is going under. This will change the look big time. Someting I will not like. The Rugged SUV looks goes.

Cant imagine the Safari withou that.
Yes, even I can't imagine the Safari without the wheel on the rear door!

BTW, any news about the Crossover/Indicruz?

What will Tata launch first? The Crossover or the Safari or they both are one and the same! Confusing!
Old 16th September 2009, 13:09   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine is the same, but more refined. The BIG change is the look.
I'm dreading the "new" look - I just don't want the Safari to end up looking like an Innova. I hope they retain the rugged SUV look & not go for the "soft" crossover look that seems to be so popular these days.
Old 16th September 2009, 13:47   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I'm dreading the "new" look - I just don't want the Safari to end up looking like an Innova. I hope they retain the rugged SUV look & not go for the "soft" crossover look that seems to be so popular these days.
Pray they dont do a Sumo Grande type naming convention ! If this is going to be a MUV hope they dont use the word Safari !
Old 16th September 2009, 13:57   #544
BHPian

Safari losing its rear door mounted wheel is like losing its identity !!!

I have always loved the way it looks with that rear mounted wheel... So if this news is true, when I save enough money, I ll head to used car market for my safari 4x4 2.2vtt !!
Old 16th September 2009, 15:37   #545
BHPian

Can anyone confirm the post Diwali launch?
Old 16th September 2009, 16:10   #546
BHPian

Quote:
The reson given by the TATA guy for removing the wheel from the back was the constant back door problem faced by the Safari owners. Since they could not do much to solve the problem, the just got rid of the wheel from the back door. Other changes, in terms of look they could not tell.

Infact its been a trend with all International Brand SUV doing away with the Spare wheel from the rear door and putting them below the boot...Be it the Landruisers, Prados or the Patrols!!! Could be cause its rather uncomfortable and exerting unscrewing the tyre from the door and lifting it to keep it down. In the latter positions the tyre lock just needs to be released.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:09   #547
BHPian

Well i dont think TATA will be launching the new Safari anytime soon. What i do know for sure is that the TATA Indigo Vista (with ABS,yes) and a revamped Grande (called Mk2) will be on the market before Diwali.... the engines on the new indigo will be the same as the Linea...
Old 16th September 2009, 17:37   #548
Senior - BHPian

Almost all new generation SUVs have done away with the back mounted spare wheel. Take all the big names RRovers, X5s&7s, Q7s etc..etc... they have done away the 80s/90s theme of front metal bull bars, rear spare wheels, gaping wheel arches, now a days its flowing lines, huge lower profile wheels, reduced ground clearance, which makes sense since most of these cars spend time in urban environments.
Also it reduces the centre of gravity by locating the mass of the spare wheel below the chasis rather than much higher up.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:40   #549
Senior - BHPian

This is exactly what I had spotted yesterday in Coonoor, mistook it for the Mahindra SUV test mule.

Unfortunately not able to click any snaps.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:14   #550
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Well i dont think TATA will be launching the new Safari anytime soon. What i do know for sure is that the TATA Indigo Vista (with ABS,yes) and a revamped Grande (called Mk2) will be on the market before Diwali.... the engines on the new indigo will be the same as the Linea...
That good and well awaited

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Safari losing its rear door mounted wheel is like losing its identity !!!

I have always loved the way it looks with that rear mounted wheel... So if this news is true, when I save enough money, I ll head to used car market for my safari 4x4 2.2vtt !!
Mentioned about the read mounted wheel going to my wife and she felt the same and that this would make it less macho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
Infact its been a trend with all International Brand SUV doing away with the Spare wheel from the rear door and putting them below the boot...Be it the Landruisers, Prados or the Patrols!!! Could be cause its rather uncomfortable and exerting unscrewing the tyre from the door and lifting it to keep it down. In the latter positions the tyre lock just needs to be released.
Besides not getting ones shirt dirty in raising the wheel to the door, also the safari would become incredibly more stable and loose the boat like motion that it has presently. It is already the most comfortable on the highway (including the fortuner & Endy) and over rough / potholed roads now after loosing the door mounted rear wheel the CG would lower and also come closer towards the centre of the car and between the two shafts as a door mounted wheel is the worst from pitching point of view.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:17   #551
Team-BHP Support

Wont putting the spare wheel under, affect the departure angle for the folks who engage in off-roading with the Safari?
Old 17th September 2009, 10:24   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Wont putting the spare wheel under, affect the departure angle for the folks who engage in off-roading with the Safari?
Not if designed properly. Case in point is of Innova.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:08   #553
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Yes it would but not significantly is done well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Innova is not really a good example of a SUV, Scropio & fortuner would be a better example.

They would need to rearrange the fuel tank layout as well to make way for the wheel below the rear bottom.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:10   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Innova and departure angle buddy it scrapes on huge urban potholes forget about offroading.

I think spare wheel can be easily accommodated below , There is a lot of wasted space near to fuel tank in Safari and departure angle would not be compromised as it will still be above lowest point of rear bumper.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:39   #555
Senior - BHPian

it will indicruze/xover first followed by cosmetic safari nxt year
Closed Thread

Most Viewed