Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 13:02   #631
Senior - BHPian

Sied cladding design seems to have changed ( see side profile pic) some kind of rib design.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:21   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
so does that mean it's just a new engine? and some cosmetic changes?? why would they be having disguised test mules if the engine is the only difference? they can camouflage it by badging it as a 2.2 VTT and the entire automotive industry wouldnt know.
And i dont think the VTT is at the end of it's life. In fact, they can tweak it even further for more power and torque.
I think it IS a new platform. New chassis, and (maybe) new engine. And an all new Safari. This must be one of the beat test mules without large tyres (hoping so)
i hope what you say comes out as new safari with better interiors and quality as well with more of some technology, better braking with all wheel disc brakes and equipments as well.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:22   #633
BHPian

Safari in a Burka ?

When I first saw the pictures of the clad Safari, all I could think was...

"OMG, they put a Burka on the Safari !!!"

OK, what I can say is, "here's what the European Safari buyer would expect" on the 2010 Safari :

1) All-wheel disc brakes; as I previously said, disc pads are smaller, cheaper to produce and store, so overall strategic logistics are more convenient and cheaper to TATA and to the customer; and braking is improved.

2) MORE HORSES ! My 3.0 DICOR came out of the factory with 115bhp (on paper); on a rollnig road the output was 108bhp. Improving intake and exhaust alone allowed for an easy 10bhp, and tailoring the EPROM of EMU to the improved airflow produced 138bhp. This, from the pushrod 3.0.
The 2.2DICOR (you call it the VTT?) is de-tuned from 165-170bhp@5000rpm on European-spec Peugeot saloons, to 140bhp@4000 on the Safari. I believe a 160bhp version with leather seats etc. and optional automaic gearbox for the "discriminating driver" would make an excellent package.
I have heard rumord that claim the 2010 Safari will come with 3000cc V6 in both petrol and TDi versions, both capable of some 200bhp.
I hiope this to be true.
If Toyota can produce a 170bhp 3000cc 4-D4 , and even Hyunday's old Terracan 2900cc developed 163bhp, why can't Tata find a suitable 2800-3400cc powerpland capable of delivering 200bhp? It's not a matter of climbing up the Himalaya, rather keeping up with (European) traffic.
Very zippy traffic!

3) A nice, thick, backwards compatible catalogue of goodies, which would allow Safari drivers, old and new alike, to "tailor" their Safaris to their own preferences; this should include not only "stereo-surround DVD" but proper offroading items as well.
Incidentally, such catalogues are the "Trojan Horse" to "undecided potential customers" who often go for a specific marque/model because they can accessorize/personalize it more than others.

Old 12th October 2009, 17:14   #634
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
If you notice the hood/bonnet looks like similar to Range Rover's, if I did not see the bumper and the bumper lights I would have mistoke her to be an RR Does anyone else see this?

She started life when I bought her in 1998 as the poor mans Pajero - what we called her, seems to be going the poor mans Range Rover direction which is not a bad thing infact great
One better not be a truly poor man or else maintenance will take him below the poverty line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
Please TATA do no take that rear wheel off... SUV's look better with that spare wheel on the rear door.
I believe it is confirmed that the spare wheel is going below the rear. Like it or not. hope they then do give a rear capable of taking on the fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This is the New Safari spied in that website for the very first time, but
  • going by the heavy disguise, is it an all new vehicle built on an all new chassis with all new exteriors, interiors and engine/transmission?
  • or is it a mule for the next gen?
  • or is it just a new body over the 1998 chassis (like what tata did to the sumo grande from the sumo-stuck an new body over an old modified chassis?)
Seems to be the 3rd option but the chassis is already very good, except for the pitching movement that would be reduced further with the spare wheel going below the rear implace of being on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
i hope what you say comes out as new safari with better interiors and quality as well with more of some technology, better braking with all wheel disc brakes and equipments as well.
Yep I guess the front and interiors will definately be much better as well as the equipment levels. Rear disks - if wishes were horses..
Old 12th October 2009, 17:31   #635
Senior - BHPian

That does not look like a Safari for sure. It will soon be seen in the Land rover showrooms. Bad scoop I feel.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:38   #636
Team-BHP Support

A little birdy told me this.
Please note, this info in unconfirmed, once details are out, I will post here
Quote:
2010 Safari (2011 model year) will mostly get a 3.0 Multijet Pushing the Power to 150+ bhp / 340nm. Most of the bit (electronics) will be carried over from xover ...

AWD, Rain Sensing Wiper, auto headlamp, passive entry / exit (ala cruze) ... hill descent control, autobox ...
Old 12th October 2009, 18:28   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A little birdy told me this.
Please note, this info in unconfirmed, once details are out, I will post here
tsk did you in the end jolt the little birdy so as to return him/her to the real world?
Old 13th October 2009, 10:59   #638
Team-BHP Support

This is from an TATA insider, and similar info has also been told to me from other sources.
However the XOVER is a 12-14L Crossover vehicle with AWD and all the gizmos.
Whether the safari will also get gizmo treatment in top end variant will remain to be seen, but as of now, there is a good chance.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:05   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2010 Safari (2011 model year) will mostly get a 3.0 Multijet Pushing the Power to 150+ bhp / 340nm. Most of the bit (electronics) will be carried over from xover ...
@TSK, does this mean that the current 2.2 VTT will be discontinued ?

It looks like the new 3.0 DICOR doesnt give much more than the 2.2 VTT in terms of power & torque. Need to see what is it that the new Safari has to justify the price difference.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:18   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However the XOVER is a 12-14L Crossover vehicle with AWD and all the gizmos.
That is in line with what a few members on this thread have said.
So Xover is not a Xylo competitor, after all! This will be interesting.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:36   #641
Senior - BHPian

i saw a mule of xover with Black Tinted glasses, Clean silver alloys and with final production side mirrors.the mirrors are like tata nano. i dont know the exact word for its postition. it looks fabulous.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
... I believe it is confirmed that the spare wheel is going below the rear. Like it or not. hope they then do give a rear capable of taking on the fortuner...
If they moved the spare wheel to the bottom, I wonder what they did to the diesel tank and the rollers, which prevent the axle from bottoming out. So, would the spare wheel take over the roll of the rollers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
... So Xover is not a Xylo competitor, after all! This will be interesting.
Reckon Innova has competition now. But, it is more than just the vehicle that needs to be good, if competing with Toyota!
Old 13th October 2009, 12:10   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i saw a mule of xover with Black Tinted glasses, Clean silver alloys and with final production side mirrors.the mirrors are like tata nano. i dont know the exact word for its postition. it looks fabulous.
I suspect you have taken the pics. Would you mind posting 'em here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Reckon Innova has competition now. But, it is more than just the vehicle that needs to be good, if competing with Toyota!
Oh, Ya! This will definitely be a test for Tata. If they pull it off successfully then it'll be quite an image booster.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:00   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If they moved the spare wheel to the bottom, I wonder what they did to the diesel tank and the rollers, which prevent the axle from bottoming out. So, would the spare wheel take over the roll of the rollers?
Rollers are on Axle so no change required there. Look below the bumper tank is positioned nearly in the middle and is aligned along the length of the vehicle. They can easily change the dimensions and push it little further aligned to width or move fully to one side and accommodate spare wheel on another side.

Further lower lip of rear bumper is at least couple of inches below the tank so they can increase the depth of tank decreasing length and breadth to maintain same 65 Liter volume.

Personally I would love if they reduce the tank depth by 3 inch and move rear floor board lower by 3 inch so that front facing 3ed row seat can be fitted. If you have noticed 2nd row seat is mounted just 2/3 inch higher then floor above wheel well giving comfortable 2nd row.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:47   #645
Senior - BHPian

^^ Amit,

The wheel cannot be placed on one side, will cause unbalanced weight on the side it is in. If anywhere, it has to be in the center, unless they are able to counter that weight with something else on the other side also.

The wheel is not a small one and would definitely take up some space. Redesigning the tank is required, but wonder where they have the space; they would most probably make it flatter and move the tank to a side. (All this based on my observation below my vehicle during service! )

And yes, if they give more space for the floor, the third row is a good possibility. But then, you are doing away with what ever clearance the vehicle will have in OTR terrains (aka, bad for 4x4 users).

Would be interesting as to how this comes out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks